Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 22:56   #5221
BHPian

It was raining last Saturday I was happy the rains had arrived at last. Little did I know that the rains would serve me with a broken leg. It happened last Saturday, I had to travel from hebbal to ramamurthy nagar at 7pm and it had started to drizzle as I was used to driving in rain I pushed forward to where I was headed. After crossing horamavu circle, I was doing 40kmph on my bike when all of a sudden an auto darted out on the road. I braked hard and that's when it happened, within a matter of seconds my brakes squealed and locked, the back end without any weight pushing it down or loss of traction swayed itself to the left, lost steering input and bike fell down on the right side. After I fell I remembered that I had overtook a bus, left the bike and ran to the side of the road, when I was about to run both my legs limped, skipped and jumped to the side next few seconds was horrifying, the bus hit the vehicle and dragged it a few feet front. I don't know what happened the next few mins as I fainted fortunately a few people passing by helped me they gave my keys and some water. Picked myself up and got back home slowly. I have a broken leg and an injured shoulder although I got a few scratches I suffered more internal injuries. Fortunately I was wearing two jackets and my helmet which saved me from fatal injuries. The auto driver who was at fault didn't stop and sped away. My bike has a few minor scratches nothing that cannot be fixed. Guys please wear your helmet at all times and always wear protective gear while riding a bike at all times even if it's a short distance trip, ride safe cheers!

Mods: Couldn't find an appropriate thread for relating my incident so thought I would post it here.

Last edited by D'Artagnan : 18th November 2013 at 23:01.
D'Artagnan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 11:55   #5222
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
It was raining last Saturday I was happy the rains had arrived at last. Little did I know that the rains would serve me with a broken leg. It happened last Saturday, I had to travel from hebbal to ramamurthy nagar at 7pm and it had started to drizzle as I was used to driving in rain I pushed forward to where I was headed. After crossing horamavu circle, I was doing 40kmph on my bike when all of a sudden an auto darted out on the road. I braked hard and that's when it happened, within a matter of seconds my brakes squealed and locked, the back end without any weight pushing it down or loss of traction swayed itself to the left, lost steering input and bike fell down on the right side. After I fell I remembered that I had overtook a bus, left the bike and ran to the side of the road, when I was about to run both my legs limped, skipped and jumped to the side next few seconds was horrifying, the bus hit the vehicle and dragged it a few feet front. I don't know what happened the next few mins as I fainted fortunately a few people passing by helped me they gave my keys and some water. Picked myself up and got back home slowly. I have a broken leg and an injured shoulder although I got a few scratches I suffered more internal injuries. Fortunately I was wearing two jackets and my helmet which saved me from fatal injuries. The auto driver who was at fault didn't stop and sped away. My bike has a few minor scratches nothing that cannot be fixed. Guys please wear your helmet at all times and always wear protective gear while riding a bike at all times even if it's a short distance trip, ride safe cheers!

Mods: Couldn't find an appropriate thread for relating my incident so thought I would post it here.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal! Wishing you a speedy recovery. The roads are at their slipperiest when it has just stopped raining and not while raining so one needs to be careful. Please take care to ensure correct tyre pressure because it plays a very important role in wet than in dry
Old 19th November 2013, 13:03   #5223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
It was raining last Saturday I was happy the rains had arrived at last. Little did I know that the rains would serve me with a broken leg.
Ouch !! That must have been a horrible experience !! Hope you recover at the earliest !!

When its raining, 2 wheelers ought to be double careful.
I had a hard time returning from office yesterday !! The helmet visor was full of water and oncoming vehicles with high beams made me drive at 40kmph, mostly switching between 3rd and 4th gear.
Continuing my rant on Bangalore's traffic, I found the below rant from one of my school friends, over Facebook. And I can relate so much to his quote !!
Quote:
While most indians drive on the left of the road, Bangaloreans drive on what is left of the road.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 19:26   #5224
BHPian

Thanks for your concern!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Sorry to hear about your ordeal! Wishing you a speedy recovery. The roads are at their slipperiest when it has just stopped raining and not while raining so one needs to be careful. Please take care to ensure correct tyre pressure because it plays a very important role in wet than in dry
I'm going to extra caution now that it has started to rain. Roads are quite slippery when it rains also brakes start squealing and lock up because of water in the drum brakes. Pumping the brakes is of no use I wish even low end bikes came with abs. I drive an aviator, to be honest I don't like it much, it's not exactly easy to drive long distances or in this particular scenario 'safe'. It's always been tail happy and taxing on my back. Drive safe. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
When its raining, 2 wheelers ought to be double careful. I had a hard time returning from office yesterday !! The helmet visor was full of water and oncoming vehicles with high beams made me drive at 40kmph, mostly switching between 3rd and 4th gear
I can relate to you. Driving has become a pain at night. People don't realise that the dipper is there and it has a function too. Helmet visor affects visibility at rains, when it's wet and also our breathing fogs up the visor. Not a good scenario to be in. I hope people start heeding to traffic rules in India, we need rules for our roads, else for now it's just chaos and history has taught us that chaos can never be contained. Drive safe. Cheers!
Old 20th November 2013, 10:00   #5225
Senior - BHPian

D'Artegnan, get well soon brother.

And who is the smart ass who first thought of filling the potholes on a tarred road with cement concrete? I want to honour him (can't be HER) with a garland made of my car's old tyres.

Filling a pothole with cement solves the problem for that day, and the day after that. On the third day, the asphalt around the concrete block starts eroding. After a week, you are left with a concrete block in the centre, a moat around it and the moat surrounded by the rest of the road! Not to mention, vehicles going over still-setting concrete make it so uneven that driving over it is worse than driving over the pothole it filled.

My experience yesterday: I was driving to office via Doddanekkundi industrial area (behind Graphite India, on the narrow road) at about 8 AM. There were some 4-5 cars followed by a bike in front of me. One Xylo behind me, last in line, was continuously honking, because he couldn't overtake because of oncoming traffic.

Then suddenly he had opportunity when everyone slowed down at ditch. He overtook me and almost crashed into the bike in front of me, forcing me also to brake hard. For a moment, I thought I had the choice of crashing either into Xylo or the bike. Fortunately, I managed to avoid both.

But the moral traffic policeman in me was woken up. At the next hump, I overtook him to regain my position in the cars' queue. After this, the Xylo guy didn't get a chance for any dangerous maneouvres. Then we came across a bottleneck, where everyone has to slow down because the road is not just bad, but also very narrow (near Alpine Eco apartments). As if to make Xylo driver's day worse, an Omni came on the wrong side and tried cutting into my lane. Since I no longer care for scratches or dents, I didn't budge, so Omni joined behind me and in front of the Xylo. I could hear Xylo driver giving out a long horn.

When everyone stopped at the next traffic jam, I could see in my IRVM that the Xylo driver (dressed in professional attire with an id card dangling from his belt - looking like a mid-management guy as Shankar Balan says :-P) got out of his car, rushed to the Omni and lodged a punch on Omni driver's face. Omni driver got out, threw his cap down and started punching Xylo driver. As they were pulling each others' shirts, some autorickshaw drivers separated them. And I thought, "oops, did I start this fight?". But I am not sorry!
rohanjf is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 13:37   #5226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
When everyone stopped at the next traffic jam, I could see in my IRVM that the Xylo driver (dressed in professional attire with an id card dangling from his belt - looking like a mid-management guy as Shankar Balan says :-P) got out of his car, rushed to the Omni and lodged a punch on Omni driver's face. Omni driver got out, threw his cap down and started punching Xylo driver. As they were pulling each others' shirts, some autorickshaw drivers separated them. And I thought, "oops, did I start this fight?". But I am not sorry!
Tit for Tat ! Haaahaaahaaa. Did they actually fight on the street ??
I wish to see how a "mid-management" guy fights with "Omni drivers" (mostly cargo omnis).

Good that the auto guys separated them. In other cases, they too join the fight !!
Old 20th November 2013, 14:42   #5227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I wish to see how a "mid-management" guy fights with "Omni drivers" (mostly cargo omnis).
Until the fight began, I had assumed that this Xylo guy was a hurry to reach office for some urgent meeting. But someone who is in such a hurry will never get out of his car and get into a fist fight.

The fight looked straight out of some Darshan movie

I forgot to mention, the Omni belonged to some play school. It was empty when he tried all the stunts. I think he was also getting late to pick up kids. I hope his foul mood didn't force him to do all stunts with children in his van.

People really need some activities other than regular work to control their blood pressure. Now that I leave home by 7.30 am, I manage to reach back latest by 6 pm (with nearly 50 KMs of total distance). This gives me enough time to relax in the evenings.
Old 21st November 2013, 15:22   #5228
BHPian

I had the misfortune of driving towards whitefield from my home in wilson garden yesterday morning. I let at 830am sharp and reached my destination near prestige shantiniketan at 1015. A good 15 mins late for the meeting. Im happy that I reached in one piece and in all my sanity. I wonder how other retain their sanity after driving this road every day. Hats off to you guys. #RESPECT#.

In our side of the world, some festival is coming up and its time to dig the road, and play " lets mess up their lives" again. Look at the gate being built on a main arterial road in wilson garden. Half of the road is encroached. If they wished to make it less inconvenient to public, they would have merely added a couple of feet each side. But who cares.

Wonder who gives permissions to this !!! I have my car's 25th month celebration coming up, and I plan to dig the hosur road near brand factory to put a gate and start the celebrations

Can I ?
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20131121_073324.jpg  

mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 09:14   #5229
BHPian

It was one heck of a rain yesterday night in Bangalore. It was raining like cat & dogs & what not.

Had to go to MG Road for dinner party. Traffic at Anil Kumble circle was in complete chaos. People driving in all possible ways. There was a deadlock for sometime.

Luckily there are no major potholes or craters between my place (Hebbal) and MG Road. Wherever there were, I knew their location. So, was able to avoid them by a large extent.

Seriously, entire Bangalore needs new road. Good luck to us for another 5 years. Current govt will not do anything, apart from liquor, 1 Re rice and collecting highest Tax in the entire country. :(
Old 24th November 2013, 09:56   #5230
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

It's amazing what rains can do to the roads and traffic in Bangalore!
We were returning home after dinner and it took 1hr 10 mins to get back from Brigade Road to Indiranagar
The road from the Gurudwara towards Millenia junction was blocked and all vehicles including huge buses took U-turns at the median break mid way (at the curve near the MEG training centre), don't know what caused a block ahead.
We had to again turn back onto Gangadharachetty road, then Dickenson Road and then Ulsoor road and Ulsoor market road. Once we hit Ulsoor near the metro station it was like a river all the way till CMH Road.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 10:02   #5231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
It's amazing what rains can do to the roads and traffic in Bangalore! We were returning home after dinner and it took 1hr 10 mins to get back from Brigade Road to Indiranagar The road from the Gurudwara towards Millenia junction was blocked and all vehicles including huge buses took U-turns at the median break mid way (at the curve near the MEG training centre), don't know what caused a block ahead. We had to again turn back onto Gangadharachetty road, then Dickenson Road and then Ulsoor road and Ulsoor market road. Once we hit Ulsoor near the metro station it was like a river all the way till CMH Road.

One reason was that the road was flooded at the Wheeler road flyover onwards. I came down the flyover, did a U turn and had to take a route via Benson town to get back into the city centre.

Interestingly, the slowest car on the way back was an Aston Martin Rapide, I kept up with it despite it jumping all the traffic signals.
Old 24th November 2013, 11:52   #5232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
One reason was that the road was flooded at the Wheeler road flyover onwards. I came down the flyover, did a U turn and had to take a route via Benson town to get back into the city centre.

Interestingly, the slowest car on the way back was an Aston Martin Rapide, I kept up with it despite it jumping all the traffic signals.
Why am i not surprised to read that the Aston Martin jumped signals?
Too much power......and too weak brakes, i guess.

-- Torqy
Old 25th November 2013, 13:19   #5233
Senior - BHPian

Remember I was ranting about our innovative, forward-thinking city administration filling up concrete into the potholes of tarred roads?

There used to be a bunch of potholes near Gunjur village, exactly where the road curves right. They were very deep, that one of my neighbours once mentioned that some underbody part of his Scorpio rubbed against the road surface!

After some time, the potholes were filled with concrete. After a few trucks went over it, the concrete was uneven. Then the road around the concrete started wearing off, making the road much worse than it was with potholes.

Today morning, I saw a truck parked right in the middle of the road, over the potholes (yes, the potholes' area is bigger than truck's area), with half the goods the truck was carrying scattered all over the road. The truck was carrying some plastic tubes that looked like test tubes.

It seems like the truck approach the curve at full speed, and the driver did not spot the chunks of concrete until it was too late. By the the loosely bound sacks came off, spilling the goods on the road.
Old 27th November 2013, 18:57   #5234
BHPian

Anyone knows whats causing slow moving traffic on Bellandur and Intel flyovers? Traffic is backed up for almost 3 kms. Any bottleneck between Bellandur and Sarjapur junction flyovers?

It has backed up till many parking lots in Ecospace.
Old 27th November 2013, 19:18   #5235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Anyone knows whats causing slow moving traffic on Bellandur and Intel flyovers? Traffic is backed up for almost 3 kms. Any bottleneck between Bellandur and Sarjapur junction flyovers?
It has backed up till many parking lots in Ecospace.
Its a combination of multiple level failures of the administration.

1. Vehicles coming out of Ecospace, randomly merge into the bus lane to take the U-Turn under the Bellandur flyover - This should be stopped and only allowed on the service lane.

2. Vehicles trying to act smart by coming under the Intel flyover bus lane and then suddenly merging into the traffic and trying to cut to service lane. - The Bus lane should be sealed off. If anyone using that lane to act smart, let him follow the buses and not jump across the multiple lanes.

3. The service lane should be made strictly One-Way only. Its narrow as a food pipe and eveyone tries to squeeze a shortcut into this.
Sample this - Vehicle comes out of Ecospace. He should take left and go and take a U-Turn under Bellandur flyover. But no, he takes right and goes towards Intel flyover. Result - Face to Face traffic. No one moves. Everyone shouts. Petrol and Diesel wasted like hell.

4. Helpless Pedestrians - 2-3 ORRCA cops with orange reflector jacket stops traffic to let pedestrians cross over to other sides. No wonder it takes atleast 1 min for a huge crowd to cross over safely.

Things are going out of control with each passing day. Wonder when will the Govt Authorities make a serious move. May be when companies start pulling out of Bangalore, due to chaos.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks