Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2013, 15:32   #4786
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Yesterday's drive was quite fun. Took me 3+ hours from Whitefield to Jayanagar / 5.45 PM to 9 PM.
Old 19th August 2013, 07:44   #4787
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Yesterday's drive was quite fun. Took me 3+ hours from Whitefield to Jayanagar / 5.45 PM to 9 PM.
i heard ORR was completely jammed between Marathahalli and Bellandur. Fortunately i take the Whitefield-Varthur road to bypass ORR and managed to avoid the mess.

Could it be an effect of long weekend rush?? I'm sure most of the working crowd would have taken Friday off and left early on Wednesday evening
Old 19th August 2013, 14:47   #4788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
i heard ORR was completely jammed between Marathahalli and Bellandur. Fortunately i take the Whitefield-Varthur road to bypass ORR and managed to avoid the mess.

Could it be an effect of long weekend rush?? I'm sure most of the working crowd would have taken Friday off and left early on Wednesday evening
I used the same route at around 9:30 Am and things were pretty normal. May be the person who told you reached office late
Old 19th August 2013, 14:52   #4789
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
I used the same route at around 9:30 Am and things were pretty normal. May be the person who told you reached office late
Er.. not really, I was actually referring to Wednesday evening's traffic commute, the previous day of the long weekend. There was a lot of dead-slow traffic between Marathahalli and Bellandur (direction towards HSR) during the evening.

Some of us friends were catching up for dinner that night at Koramangala, and a bunch of them who work around ORR arrived at the restaurant when the rest of us were having our desserts .

Last edited by KarthikK : 19th August 2013 at 14:56.
Old 19th August 2013, 14:55   #4790
BHPian

Nagawara ring road towards OMR(front of Manyata Tech Park) was completely jammed at 1:30, it took about 30-45mins to cross the 1.5km stretch starting from nagawara lake.
Old 19th August 2013, 18:00   #4791
BHPian

Visited Bangalore on a one day business trip on 14th. Took 2 hours to reach Whitefield from Airport (Stuck near KR puram bridge for sometime). Started at 8:50am from Airport and reached whitefield at 10:45am. I was excited seeing the KR puram bridge as i have seen it in multiple tamil movies. Cab guy mentioned that its the main reason for the traffic pile up at that place and also mentioned that the vehicles using the bridge is far less when compared to the traffic below. Not sure if he was right.

My return flight to Chennai was at 9:45pm. Considering long weekend, rains and the scary traffic stories from colleagues decided to leave office by 5:30pm instead of 6:30pm. Cab was late and finally started from office at 6pm. The driver took a different route this time - through Devanahalli - and dropped me at airport by 7:30pm. 1.5 hours for ~50kms and roads were good all through. If not for the rains and a looong signal near whitefield he might have dropped me even earlier. And he was doing normal speeds all through.
Old 20th August 2013, 20:41   #4792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep View Post
Nagawara ring road towards OMR(front of Manyata Tech Park) was completely jammed at 1:30, it took about 30-45mins to cross the 1.5km stretch starting from nagawara lake.
On the Hebbal to KR Puram Ring Road stretch, Nagawara is the only junction now without a flyover & with a traffic signal. The Flyover construction is now happening and this is causing all the long jams at this junction. Not sure why they skipped this junction and kept it for last.

So for everyone travelling to Hebbal or the Airport on this road - please keep around 20 mins buffer just to cross Nagawara junction. It really is in a bad condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
... Cab guy mentioned that its the main reason for the traffic pile up at that place and also mentioned that the vehicles using the bridge is far less when compared to the traffic below. Not sure if he was right. ...
Its true. I don't know who were the guys who planned this (or for that matter any new public construction in Bangalore), they just don't think about the future. If they can somehow create an exit (like the Freeway exits in the US) on the KR Puram bridge down towards the Whitefield road, it will solve or at least reduce a lot of traffic going under the bridge.

Similarly the KalyanNagar to Old Madras road 'bypass' next to the Metro station at Bypanahalli is so narrowly constructed that it can accommodate at best 1 vehicle comfortably. Always jams up during office hours. This was built just a couple of years back. Couldn't they have thought of the traffic & made it a little wider? Drives me nuts sometimes !!
Old 21st August 2013, 14:39   #4793
Senior - BHPian

Is there any decent (paid) parking area available near chickpet?

Or else, i am going to park in Shanthinagar bus stand and take an auto.
Old 21st August 2013, 14:49   #4794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

The Maharaja Parking Complex right at the BVK Iyengar road junction offers paid parking facility in its Multi Layer car parking.

This is the exact location : 12.973906, 77.578266
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 14:50   #4795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There is the Kempegowda maharaja multilevel parking complex, on KG road-BVK Iyengar road intersection, little ahead of Mysore Bank signal.
Gmaps link here: http://goo.gl/maps/fmerg
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 14:54   #4796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Of course: https://maps.google.com/?ll=12.97340...3555,77.578014

Maharaja complex has multilevel car park. The last time I was there, March 2012, the parking fee was 20 Rs for first two hours, and 10 Rs for additional hour. But for 5-8 hours, it was 75 Rs flat.

Directions: The entrance being far from main road, take left from Mysore Bank road onto BVK Ayyangar road (at the signal after Mysore Bank signal). Then take first left, and again first left. You'll find the entry to MLCP on the left. Chikpet is walkable distance from there.

Advice: you may find the parking full after 12 noon on weekends.
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 20:28   #4797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I don't know where to put it, so posting here. Bangalore The Pub City and Its Cops.
Well, how many of you have faced this "Blow Maadi" situation and how did it went ??

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=fLJkMq6iPag
I don't know what to say !! What's the point of this video

I've had a couple incidents where I was asked to tell my name loud (I'm a teetotaler) - but the cops have been always decent.

Most of the times, looking at the three horizontal white bars on my forehead, I have never been stopped.
Old 21st August 2013, 21:25   #4798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
The last time I was there, March 2012, the parking fee was 20 Rs for first two hours, and 10 Rs for additional hour. But for 5-8 hours, it was 75 Rs flat.

Directions: The entrance being far from main road, take left from Mysore Bank road onto BVK Ayyangar road (at the signal after Mysore Bank signal). Then take first left, and again first left. You'll find the entry to MLCP on the left. Chikpet is walkable distance from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Yes, the parking entry is at the backside of the Complex! The ramp walls are too narrow, one need to be careful with SUVs.

I reached by 4:50 PM and was directed to the topmost floor(terrace).

I paid Rs.23 for a 2-3 hour parking! 0-30 minutes=Rs.6 and so on.
Old 22nd August 2013, 23:23   #4799
BHPian

Was driving around 50kmph approaching hebbal from tin factory side when all of a sudden a huge stone (size of a car battery) came right under my car with a big wham!!

I had no time to react as the stone came rebounding off the rear wheel of the bus in front of me who drove over it. I could hear and feel the stone hitting the under body all the way from the front to the rear of the car. Limped slowly to the left and inspected the under body for visible damage, fluid leakages etc. Couldn't find anything.

Went back to the stone which was still lying in the middle of the road, managed to slow the traffic down and carried the stone off the road. But already an indicab right behind me crashed into the stone and damaged his car. His fan belt got cut. Wonder how though!

No idea how it came there in the first place! I'm guessing it fell off a truck.

Will be going to A.S.S on the weekend, hoping and praying for no damage! :(
Added_flavor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 09:36   #4800
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday morning, I was stuck at Varthur village between 8.30 and 9.30. There was a huge traffic jam, spanning all the way till Gunjur (2 KMs away). And the best part is, there was no reason for the jam. No broken down truck or no accident. People had driven from all directions to reach the bottleneck, creating a deadlock. And policemen sitting in Varthur police station (where the bottleneck starts), did not even bother to solve the problem.

So I left home by 7.45 AM today, and reached Varthur by 8. The problem on this stretch (Sarjapur town to Varthur) is school buses. They are driven slowly, but that's expected. The real problem is when they stop for children. They never give any sort of indication, and most of the buses do not have their tail lights functioning.

And then I got stuck on Borewell road. I really do not understand why the full sized buses belonging to IT companies take this narrow road. As the road name suggests, the road already has water tankers plying on the road. One water tanker and one bus in opposite directions, and there is a deadlock.

And again I got stuck on the Doddanekkundi industrial area road (behind Graphite India). Here too, IT companies' shuttles had created deadlocks. The roads are narrow and filled with potholes. And the turns are sharp, which these buses (which are actually built on truck platforms) are not able to negotiate. Oncoming cars, especially cabs, do not wait for the buses to complete the turn, and they end up choking the junction.

I guess there is no escape at all, until our police department pulls up its socks and regulates on what kind of vehicles should take what type of road.

Most Viewed