Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2013, 12:16   #4741
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
All this, just because OORCA cops stop vehicles for pedestrian crossing at the foot of the Bellandur flyover. Can't they put an application to build a footover bridge here. 2-3 smart a**es will die trying to defy the footover bridge. Then everyone else will fall in place. And it will be a free corridor.
The first thing they need to do is have a proper divider, then build a decent shelter\bus stop there, and then build a foot-over bridge (disabled friendly).

Even if they collect Rs.5/- (Five rupees) per person/vehicle per day, within a year they can build what ever they want.
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 12:23   #4742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
The first thing they need to do is have a proper divider, then build a decent shelter\bus stop there, and then build a foot-over bridge (disabled friendly).

Even if they collect Rs.5/- (Five rupees) per person/vehicle per day, within a year they can build what ever they want.
Exactly !! We as citizens and road users have so much understanding and planning to avoid frustration. Why can't the Civic / Govt authorities put their brains to use to help the citizens ? I don't understand how difficult is it for them to identify bottlenecks !! and how difficult is it to chalk out a plan atleast. I am sure there is no plan in the near future to fix this place. The civic authorities are waiting for WBS Element (read: Cash) to put their brains and efforts.
As a part of the IT crowd I am paying heavy taxes and nothing is happening to help me. If I happen to cheat on paying IT taxes, I could have given that money to an honest contractor and got the roads fixed by myself.
Old 7th August 2013, 12:25   #4743
Senior - BHPian

We will never understand why the traffice police personnel try to manage the traffic at a junction with automated singals. Sometimes they ask the motorists to ignore the lights, and go by what they are saying. If you fail to spot the policeman and follow only the lights, you are in soup.

Graphite India signal is a crucial one. A lot of vehicles come from Kundanahalli and take turn there. There always is an inspector and a constable there. But as a motorist, if you continue towards Mahadevapura instead of turning right, you'll get another junction within 100 meters of Graphite India signal, right next to Graphite India's main gate. A lot of vehicles coming from the inside road of Doddanekkundi industrial area block the main road. The policemen can see the chaos, but they are least interested in solving the actual issue!
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 12:35   #4744
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly !! We as citizens and road users have so much understanding and planning to avoid frustration. Why can't the Civic / Govt authorities put their brains to use to help the citizens ?
I think we should start imposing spot fines on cops wherever there are improper roads, bad dividers, traffic jams, etc.
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 12:38   #4745
BHPian

Quote:
Surely there is a way to get out of BTM towards HSR.
Take a left from Udupi Garden or AXA Signal and take the inside road towards Madiwala. This route comes out below the Silk Board flyover and there is a cut under the flyover, to cross over towards the HSR Side.
I'm not sure of I am able to express it correctly.
Thanks Soumyajit. You expressed it in the best way by giving the Gmap link
I will try it next time and will give you updates.
Old 7th August 2013, 12:40   #4746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
Thanks Soumyajit. You expressed it in the best way by giving the Gmap link
I will try it next time and will give you updates.
Ohhh. one more important thing, its a narrow lane - no overtaking maneouveres. Be careful of bikers, if you are in your car. If you are on a bike, you are the king.

EDIT:: One more thing, the exit near the flyover has a height barricade. I guess a Scorpio goes through it. Be careful if you are in a SUV.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 7th August 2013 at 12:43.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 13:03   #4747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
We will never understand why the traffice police personnel try to manage the traffic at a junction with automated singals. Sometimes they ask the motorists to ignore the lights, and go by what they are saying. If you fail to spot the policeman and follow only the lights, you are in soup.

Graphite India signal is a crucial one. A lot of vehicles come from Kundanahalli and take turn there. There always is an inspector and a constable there. But as a motorist, if you continue towards Mahadevapura instead of turning right, you'll get another junction within 100 meters of Graphite India signal, right next to Graphite India's main gate. A lot of vehicles coming from the inside road of Doddanekkundi industrial area block the main road. The policemen can see the chaos, but they are least interested in solving the actual issue!
Well we do have a serious shortage of policemen and I do feel sorry for those manning these junctions especially Graphite India. I guess even the policeman knows about the chaos that happens just after Graphite, but he is helpless.

I have observed in so many situations that these company TT's have absolute disregard of traffic lights if there are no policemen around. Even when one of these maniacal TT's do stops at a red light, they feel that they have some kind of an intuition that the lights will turn green soon and slowly crawls ahead to a point where they are literally half way down the road by the time light turns green. So with a couple of policeman, the traffic is as bad as it is at Graphite India. Can you even imagine how much worse it would have got in their absense ? Try crossing the same junction on a weekend where the lights are left in auto mode.
rohittunga is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 14:48   #4748
Senior - BHPian

Is there a recommended or official way of changing from BETL to NICE Ring Road (and vice versa)? Right now it appears to me that if one wants to take NICE Road from say, Silk Board junction, then one should go on Hosur Road at surface level, switch to the service road at Hosa Road junction and take the on ramp of NICE.
Old 8th August 2013, 14:57   #4749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Is there a recommended or official way of changing from BETL to NICE Ring Road (and vice versa)? Right now it appears to me that if one wants to take NICE Road from say, Silk Board junction, then one should go on Hosur Road at surface level, switch to the service road at Hosa Road junction and take the on ramp of NICE.
A less time-consuming option would be to take the BETL road till E-city, get down, take a U-turn, continue on the Hosur road (at surface level, as you put it), switch to the service lane at the first opportunity and then take the up-ramp to NICE road. Of course, you end up driving an additional ~4km.

From Silk Board, the Bommanahalli, Garvebhavi Palaya and Kudlu Gate signals almost always have a jam unless you're travelling at the dead of the night or in the wee hours. And these days I see the signals at GB Palaya and Kudlu gate dysfunctional at times.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 15:05   #4750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Unfortunately, this is the only option like you mention:

Surface Level:
Take the Opposite side Service road at Hosa Road Junction, Take U-Turn at the NICE Ramp to get onto NICE.

Conversely, Its simple in a manner that you just take the exit marked for Bangalore City that will take you onto Hosur Road towards Silkboard.

BETL
Get down from BETL through Phase 1 Exit, take U-Turn after the toll booth, Turn left onto Hosur road service lane and after the E City Signal, continue on Service road and take the NICE Entry Ramp.

Conversely, exit NICE marked for Bangalore (and not Hosur) and immediately take U-Turn and start driving towards EC Signal towards Hosur. After signal, continue on the Service lane crossing Infy campus, Turn right and take U-Turn and get onto BETL.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th August 2013 at 15:08.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 16:49   #4751
Senior - BHPian

This is not a rant, but an observation. Unlike most other offices, mine doesn't have a holiday today. Because of the extended weekend, most of the floating population have gone out of the city. Result? Free roads. I take anywhere between 25min and 1 hour to reach office, a distance of just 8km, mostly on the Hosur road, on a regular day. This morning, it took me less than 20 minutes - concurring with Google baba's estimate!
Old 9th August 2013, 17:08   #4752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
This is not a rant, but an observation. Unlike most other offices, mine doesn't have a holiday today. Because of the extended weekend, most of the floating population have gone out of the city. Result? Free roads. I take anywhere between 25min and 1 hour to reach office, a distance of just 8km, mostly on the Hosur road, on a regular day. This morning, it took me less than 20 minutes - concurring with Google baba's estimate!
Like Bangalore ten to twelve years ago! Amazingly empty roads on account of the festival and the long weekend. Am sure the highways are jam packed though!
Old 9th August 2013, 17:49   #4753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Like Bangalore ten to twelve years ago! Amazingly empty roads on account of the festival and the long weekend. Am sure the highways are jam packed though!
You bet they are. I left for Pondicherry in the morning, and cruised mostly at 80-90 KMPH. Since that is slow for TN highways, I was overtaken by every car that appeared in my RVMs. And my wife and I counted the white-board cars that overtook us. Only 7 were TN registered cars, and some 30+ were KA registered!

OT: Pondicherry traffic has become really chaotic!
Old 9th August 2013, 19:13   #4754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Because of the extended weekend, most of the floating population have gone out of the city. Result? Free roads. I take anywhere between 25min and 1 hour to reach office, a distance of just 8km, mostly on the Hosur road, on a regular day. This morning, it took me less than 20 minutes - concurring with Google baba's estimate!
I was stuck at silkboard signal for good 20 minutes like any other week day today in the afternoon. I was expecting roads to be empty today but it was on the contrary. Not just silkboard but all the way until JP Nagar apple store signal there was huge bulk of traffic moving at snail's pace, that too at 2 PM in the afternoon
Old 9th August 2013, 22:34   #4755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yeah and I forgot that point yesterday night. The jam at Silk Board at 10:00pm was horrible. I took Hosur road from there to get to Basvanagudi and that was equally horrible.

Today morning, left home late - round about 7:45 (instead of 6:45) and I reached Whitefield in about 40 minutes, that too driving at a calm 40 kmph.

I need to leave office now and I am praying the ORR is empty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks