Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2013, 14:44   #4651
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
It is not only speed breakers, dont we have medians with stones all around the them cropping up over night, cops erecting mind blowing barricades and leaving it unattended until the next morning, etc?
I am sure quite a few of us have had close encounters with the "modern" medians these guys install - cement blocks.
Agree to your view. Speed breakers and medians are a bigger threat than over speeding maniacs. I have seen instances where cars have climbed over the so called medians which is nothing but glorified concrete blocks in middle or road and people driving in to drain since both service road and drain looks same during rain - both are filled with water.
However regarding this specific accident as per eye witness account that guy was drunk and in that case he should be held accountable for the same. We don't know if this accident could have been avoided if he was sober, though there is a chance. Though there are instances where drivers run away fearing the public anger after accident it does not take 2 days for them to surface. More so if drunk driving is alleged.

There was another accident involving a driver who lost control of vehicle. It is discussed in forum in another thread : College Professor car knows down student . In that case the driver didn't run away. Difference between politician and a professor.
Old 18th July 2013, 14:58   #4652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
In that case the driver didn't run away. Difference between politician and a professor.
I wouldn't be surprised if the teacher would get a harsher punishment than the professor.

TVs are currently reporting of a BMTC bus colliding into a petrol station at Hudson Circle.
Old 18th July 2013, 15:20   #4653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, if the were to solve this in-reality, then whoever is investigating should first findout if there was a signage for that speed breaker, because that seems to be the root cause.
What if there is a signage for the speed-breaker? Would he have noticed in the state he was in? There are n obstacles on road. Signage, even if it isn't there is not the root cause.
Old 18th July 2013, 15:57   #4654
Senior - BHPian

Near the Agara flyover in HSR layout, coming from the Mantri Sarovar side, suppose one goes onto the narrow strip of road below the flyover in order to turn towards the Agara lake, one will notice that there is a noticeable thick lip of tar and consequent height difference in the surface level of the road just at that point.
It is ok for a car which may be travelling at about 60kmph or so.
But this area, being singularly ill lit, can result in fatality for a biker because of the height difference in surface!
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 16:36   #4655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Near the Agara flyover in HSR layout, coming from the Mantri Sarovar side, suppose one goes onto the narrow strip of road below the flyover in order to turn towards the Agara lake, one will notice that there is a noticeable thick lip of tar and consequent height difference in the surface level of the road just at that point.
But this area, being singularly ill lit, can result in fatality for a biker because of the height difference in surface!
Absolutely nailed it. Like I posted earlier, I have been taking my bike for the last 3 days to office (came by car today). Believe me, if that cut is not done done correctly by a 2 wheeler, the tyres can easily slip and the consequence can be fatal. I kept to the extreme left lane while climbing the ramp of the flyover since the last 3 days on bike. This allowed me to negotiate the ramp slowly. The tar level difference seems to be less on the left.

A little similar scene can be seen at the ramp of Bellandur flyover (towards Marathalli side). The right lane has this problem and the tar level difference is huge at this point. Even the tyres of a car can get caught if not cut through/climbed correctly.
Old 18th July 2013, 16:59   #4656
BHPian

Quote:
It is not OK for the cars also. A car behind the bike may get involved in accident if the biker loses control.

Another such difference is opposite to the Lowry memorial school near KR Puram Bridge. I have lost control on my Access a few times when the tyres go over those gaps. I consciously avoid that spot now.
Old 19th July 2013, 09:15   #4657
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am not taking sides. But then, in the same link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21133181.cms it is quoted that he lost control after hitting a speed breaker.

Agreed, he should have gone to the cops, etc.

BUT was there a signage for the speedbraker? Let us be realistic, how many of us have been surprised by the presence of a speed breaker all-of-a-sudden? If the route we take is a regular one, then we are aware of it, else would we be?
As you can see from the reports, the person is a regular in that area, which means he definitely knew the roads around, since he lives around there. How can it be possible that this speedbreaker came up all of a sudden? I pass this through this road on a regular basis, and know the area where the markets are located, hence my point. I believe he was just drunk, and overspeeding.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 10:11   #4658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
What if there is a signage for the speed-breaker? Would he have noticed in the state he was in? There are n obstacles on road. Signage, even if it isn't there is not the root cause.
Was he drunk? Or was he not? My point was simple - signages are missing on the road!

Yes - there are innumerable obstacles on the road - that was my point.

I was never trying to say if he was OR was not drunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
As you can see from the reports, the person is a regular in that area, which means he definitely knew the roads around, since he lives around there. How can it be possible that this speedbreaker came up all of a sudden? I pass this through this road on a regular basis, and know the area where the markets are located, hence my point. I believe he was just drunk, and overspeeding.
Point agreed.
My post was more of a generic issue. Maye i used the wrong example.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 19th July 2013 at 10:47. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if replying within 30 mins of the previous post. Thanks.
Old 19th July 2013, 10:31   #4659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I saw this post, I thought you might have seen the accident that happened at this point on 18th. Then I noticed that this post was around 3 hrs before it happened.

This happened around 6pm on 18th just after the heavy rains. I was coming from HSR side and was on the bus lane below the flyover, just as I reached the end of the flyover, on the opposite side, at exactly the place you mentioned, a lady on an Activa with a pillion skid and fell down. Luckily for them, she was not very fast and there was no vehicle following closely behind. They seemed fine and were helped up by people who gathered. I was alone in the car with my baby daughter in the car seat and hence could not get down to check.

One of them had a coffee day cup filled with coffee which was splashed on the road. I sincerely hope that it was not in the hand of the rider.
Old 19th July 2013, 10:52   #4660
Senior - BHPian

Very weird. Last evening I picked up my wife from her office and on the way back home it started pelting with rain.
My wipers were working overtime!
I was passing the exact spot which we have both written about at around 5pm.
There were a few bikers and a couple of autos taking shelter from the heavy rain just beneath the flyover.
I turned left under that flyover and drove along that small strip of tarmac which goes in between the two flyovers and indeed, went over that "surface height difference" area on the way to the turn off near Mantri Sarovar where I usually get into HSR Layout past that bus station.
It was really pouring with rain at this time and it took another 15 minutes for me to reach home - going slowly.
I did note at the time that the problem would come to someone on that stretch of road near that pair of flyovers and indeed as per your post it has!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
When I saw this post, I thought you might have seen the accident that happened at this point on 18th. Then I noticed that this post was around 3 hrs before it happened.

This happened around 6pm on 18th just after the heavy rains. I was coming from HSR side and was on the bus lane below the flyover, just as I reached the end of the flyover, on the opposite side, at exactly the place you mentioned, a lady on an Activa with a pillion skid and fell down. Luckily for them, she was not very fast and there was no vehicle following closely behind. They seemed fine and were helped up by people who gathered. I was alone in the car with my baby daughter in the car seat and hence could not get down to check.

One of them had a coffee day cup filled with coffee which was splashed on the road. I sincerely hope that it was not in the hand of the rider.
Old 19th July 2013, 11:30   #4661
Senior - BHPian

This one is for all the off-roading enthusiasts in Bangalore. We have a superb OTR track right here in the middle of Bangalore city!!

Koramangala water tank signal, on Sarjapur road, heading towards Sarjapur. Keep to the right lane, and there you have it. Really neat slush bed.
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 11:34   #4662
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
This one is for all the off-roading enthusiasts in Bangalore. We have a superb OTR track right here in the middle of Bangalore city!!

Koramangala water tank signal, on Sarjapur road, heading towards Sarjapur. Keep to the right lane, and there you have it. Really neat slush bed.
Do you mean the stretch outside St. Johns, leading towards Krupanidhi college?? That stretch of road has been in tatters from the past 4-5 months, ever since that underpass construction thing started.

I wonder how the authorities are keeping quiet for so long, considering this region (Koramangala) is frequented by VIPs
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 11:47   #4663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Do you mean the stretch outside St. Johns, leading towards Krupanidhi college??
See attached map. I had a heart-in-mouth moment driving on this stretch this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-koramangala_offroad.jpg  

KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 11:55   #4664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BUT was there a signage for the speedbraker? Let us be realistic, how many of us have been surprised by the presence of a speed breaker all-of-a-sudden? If the route we take is a regular one, then we are aware of it, else would we be?
Deadguy, it happens often that we get surprised by speed breakers on roads which we don't frequent, but how would you explain that after 'being surprised' the giant jumps over the median to the other side and further goes on to the footpath and then kills many? The guy cannot be defended saying that there was no signage. At the speed, he was cruising at, I doubt he would have even noticed the people around, let alone the sign boards!

Though agreed that signboards are welcome, but without them such an incident happening is not acceptable. They are two different matters.

Quote:
Reiterating - I am not taking sides.
Point noted Sir!

Last edited by saket77 : 19th July 2013 at 11:57.
Old 19th July 2013, 13:17   #4665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
See attached map. I had a heart-in-mouth moment driving on this stretch this morning.
Like KarthikK mentioned, it's been in shambles from the time the work on the underpass began. All it takes is a few minutes of rain to make that stretch a real off-roading experience.

From the ORR to Jakkasandra on the Sarjapur road, there are a few speedbreakers, which look like they are laid to keep a pool of water stagnant after a brief shower. Most of these pools have myriad potholes, and it's quite dangerous for vehicles, especially the ambitious bikers who get tempted to take that empty-looking stretch to get ahead of the others.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks