Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2008, 09:06   #436
BHPian

Educated on the road

Guys,

Today while driving to office in Bangalore (I drive around 26 Kms to office)..I came across some educated jerks on the road, having least respect for their own/others safety. Let me give some details on two of them.

1. While taking a turn at command hospital signal, one guy in a enfield machismo (with laptop on his back which gives me a feel he is educated) suddenly took a sharp left turn to squeeze in between a truck that was going in front and my car. I had to brake hard to avoid hitting that enfield fellow. Result - I honked to get his attention, just to say drive safely. Guess what was the reaction from him? middle finger!!!

Ahhh..I had enough and decided to confront that guy and give him some piece of mind..and so I stopped him and did impart him some wisdom on middle finger etc etc (Not getting into the gory details..).

2. After a few mins of drive..I got to witness another educated jerk..he was on a ford fiesta. He was behind my car..and the traffic was sometimes moving fast and sometimes very slowly..I was observing this guy..and he was constantly on the cellphone and that too without handsfree..moreover I understand from his actions that he was not receiving calls but making several calls on top of that he was driving fast (As I drive past and he was keeping pace with me)..

I was strongly feeling like getting down from the car and requesting him to do some favour to the road users by atleast using handsfree!! Huh

Illiterates doing such things are still understandable, but educated guys exhibiting such behaviour is such a shame..anyhow I felt like sharing this with fellow bhpinans..hope for change!

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th November 2008 at 11:55. Reason: Font tags
Old 12th November 2008, 10:34   #437
BHPian

Hahaha. Please come to Hyderabad and drive here for a week. Then go back to B'lore, you feel like driving in heaven. Really.
Old 12th November 2008, 10:54   #438
Senior - BHPian

Majority of human beings are naturally idiots. Education doesn't change that equation.
It just makes educated idiots.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2008, 11:42   #439
BHPian

@Matt - Is traffic so bad in Hyderabad? I bet Hyderabad will have as many honourary rule abiding road users like cabbies, autos and bikers as Bangalore

@alpha1 - I tend to agree with you seeing examples every day
Old 12th November 2008, 12:17   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Hahaha. Please come to Hyderabad and drive here for a week. Then go back to B'lore, you feel like driving in heaven. Really.
Those are the words straight out of my mind you penned! Can't agree more! Hyderabad is heaven for every one who do not know what traffic rules are or for them who want to break them happily! You have the luxury of breaking the rules at will here. In Hyderabad, you can see police themselves breaking the traffic rules. Traffic cops are treated like scum beings by the public in thsi part of the world! Man I love this place!
Old 12th November 2008, 12:37   #441
Senior - BHPian

Going over this posts made in this thread (and few other Street Experience threads) it is very clear that education / job / profile has nothing to do with how people behave on road / in public!

It is all in the mindset and the fear of punishment / reaction to their actions that rules how one behave.

Kindness, concern for the other fellow, courtesy and such are all out of the window!
Old 12th November 2008, 12:44   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Those are the words straight out of my mind you penned! Can't agree more! Hyderabad is heaven for every one who do not know what traffic rules are or for them who want to break them happily! You have the luxury of breaking the rules at will here. In Hyderabad, you can see police themselves breaking the traffic rules. Traffic cops are treated like scum beings by the public in thsi part of the world! Man I love this place!
i too agree, it also a place where a junction would have 5-7 road joining and 2 roundabout to confuse everyone!!
Old 12th November 2008, 12:57   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
i too agree, it also a place where a junction would have 5-7 road joining and 2 roundabout to confuse everyone!!
Isn't that true for Bangalore too ? I gave up finding my way in Bangalore.
Old 12th November 2008, 13:11   #444
BHPian

Yes true and not only that "every day a new one way" rule makes driving another nightmare I swear guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Isn't that true for Bangalore too ? I gave up finding my way in Bangalore.
Old 12th November 2008, 18:01   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Going over this posts made in this thread (and few other Street Experience threads) it is very clear that education / job / profile has nothing to do with how people behave on road / in public!

It is all in the mindset and the fear of punishment / reaction to their actions that rules how one behave.

Kindness, concern for the other fellow, courtesy and such are all out of the window!
Very true.
The traffic signals which has a count down timer is a big nightmare, the lane which is waiting for the green signal will start moving to the junction when the count goes to 7-8 secs and block the last couple of vehicles on the lane which is having the green signal, causing a big traffic jam at the junction!

Apologies to M7 for hijacking the thread on B'lore traffic.
Old 13th November 2008, 17:54   #446
Senior - BHPian

It today seemed to me that you can even beat up another driver if you are irritated. Around 4.45PM near Bellandur outer ring road, A bus driver was beaten up by a indica cab driver. All the commuters in the bus were watching this. I was shocked, and since a mob was forming I drove on.
Old 13th November 2008, 19:40   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
It today seemed to me that you can even beat up another driver if you are irritated. Around 4.45PM near Bellandur outer ring road, A bus driver was beaten up by a indica cab driver. All the commuters in the bus were watching this. I was shocked, and since a mob was forming I drove on.
This is the land rule in India as stated in various posts here before. The bigger vehicle is always at fault!
Old 14th November 2008, 08:23   #448
BHPian

Finally I could see some good changes in using headlights in city. Almost 80% of the vehicles uses low beams and flash the beams instead of honking. But Auto ricks, Two wheelers and Cabs are still at their old mode. they not even bothered dipping the light at signal stops. Two wheelers and Autos must be thinking that their lights are not powerful enough to blind someone. Anyways the improvement is very evident in last 6 months. Good going Bangalore.
Old 14th November 2008, 09:02   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Finally I could see some good changes in using headlights in city. Almost 80% of the vehicles uses low beams and flash the beams instead of honking. But Auto ricks, Two wheelers and Cabs are still at their old mode. they not even bothered dipping the light at signal stops. Two wheelers and Autos must be thinking that their lights are not powerful enough to blind someone. Anyways the improvement is very evident in last 6 months. Good going Bangalore.
I still find a lot of them in full beam not only cabs even some private cars..two wheelers are kind of by default in high beam..I flash the incoming vehicle on high beam..even if they do not pay a heed then I too put my car on high beam..to give them the taste of their own medicine..I have seen this works in most of the cases!
Old 14th November 2008, 11:29   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesomeone View Post
I still find a lot of them in full beam not only cabs even some private cars..two wheelers are kind of by default in high beam..I flash the incoming vehicle on high beam..even if they do not pay a heed then I too put my car on high beam..to give them the taste of their own medicine..I have seen this works in most of the cases!

I feel its better to try :GandhiGiri" on those guys first. You let him pass without flashing high beam on his face so let him understand how comfortable it is when the opposite traffic on low beam. Definitely someone like him will come across on his way and teach him the real taste of his medicine.

Also the fact is that, you are blinding some already on lowbeam coming behind the bad guy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks