Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2013, 21:44   #4156
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Sorry to hear about your incident, Shankar. This kind of situation is unavoidable if you drive. Sadly, for no fault of ours, we end up paying the culprits for their stupidity and also for the damage that they inflict on our cars! The only crime of ours being that we have 4 wheels and they have 2 or 3.
Old 3rd March 2013, 04:27   #4157
Senior - BHPian

Its basically tough stuff for us people who fall into the no mans land between the have nots and the super rich.

Plus we are not really equipped to deal with nor desirous of dealing with the type of creatures and vultures that infest these roads, with their violently parochial tendencies.

So its keep playing their game and keep paying for no fault of your own. Luckily it was a relatively small amount and the cops came to help me rather than that fool.

I am concerned what the repair bills are going to be though, because body shop bills are big, however minor the actual damages...

Whatever it is, I dont like driving a car that looks like its been in the wars so I will get it done up and change that number plate asap...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 11:16   #4158
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Reading all these episodes, I am tempted to go for a dashboard camera. The benefits are many. I am listing a few that came to my mind now.

1. This will at least help in proving who was at fault in an accident.

2. We can have a dedicated thread in this forum where members can share their quirky dashboard videos

3. God forbid, next time a meteorite flies by India, we can capture that as well :-)
Why was the Russian meteorite captured on so many dashboard cameras?

-- Wind
Old 3rd March 2013, 11:33   #4159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Reading all these episodes, I am tempted to go for a dashboard camera. The benefits are many. I am listing a few that came to my mind now.

1. This will at least help in proving who was at fault in an accident.

2. We can have a dedicated thread in this forum where members can share their quirky dashboard videos

3. God forbid, next time a meteorite flies by India, we can capture that as well :-)

-- Wind
Ah well, sadly it will do nothing more than get you a ton of sympathetic replies here and wherever you post the videos on the internet, because it does not matter whether you can prove your innocence or not. That nice shiny car of yours and your dialect/attire/mild manner will be evidence enough to indict you.

In Russia most of the cars have dash cams because insurance companies wont accept your hit and run claim without video evidence. And of course, the fact that lawlessness on the roads in Russia will make Indian roads look like a walk in the park.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 21:48   #4160
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Saturday night around 10:40pm I was on my way back home via Thippasandra Main Road and as usual there were several 2 and 4 wheeler vehicles driving with high beams quite fast and on the wrong side of the one-way road. So far no surprises but the moment I turned into one of the cross roads, I saw a horde of traffic cops with Jeeps, etc and they were checking for drunk driving and all those vehicles on the wrong side were moving right in front of their eyes but they only focussed on their prey. How does it matter if there were innocent people driving slowly and (safely? at least trying to avoid those loose cannons!) on the correct side ?
Old 4th March 2013, 03:39   #4161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
When street justice is meted out, no one bothers to check for evidence. Its always the case of the bigger vehicle vs the smaller one, or the haves vs the have-nots.
Old 4th March 2013, 12:33   #4162
BHPian

This is something which i observed when i was in bangalore for the last four days. I was using my brother's car to travel around. I guess the BMTC volvo drivers were a bit rash. But then the honking was lesser compared to chennai . Also i didnt find too many rash drivers as compared to chennai. I also found the cab drivers driving sensibly. The bikers too didnt try to cut lanes suddenly. But sometimes at the juctions it was horrible with vehicles crossing suddenly.

Guys looking at the post above it might be silly to post this comment but according to me it was better. May be if i stay longer i can come to know about things mentioned above.My brother was shocked when i said that traffic in bangalore is much better.

Couple of incidents that i came across.

Saw one incident where a lot of pople started blocking a scorpio. I think there was a fight between a biker and owner of scorpio(Not the Shankar case).

Also had one incident where a bus not the BMTC but i guess intercity travel bus which was coming behind me kept on honking. I was travelling on the Bannerghatta road. I came to junction where people were crossing the junction. This guy behind me kept on honking. I have never heard some one honking like that. Then he tried to overtake me from left. He was doing all soughts of things to go ahead. My family got scared and asked me to give him way. I was not blocking him but there was no space for him to go.

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 4th March 2013 at 12:51.
Old 5th March 2013, 10:12   #4163
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
1. the road/bridge over the drain connecting chord road near binny layout to Mysore Road near Gali Anjaneya temple - Work seems to be almost complete but why is it not being used ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
You are right. This project once complete will clear up the Mysore road traffic to a good extent. But we never seem to see the end of the tunnel with no visibility or update from BDA side.
From today's newspaper - the Gali Anjaneya bridge built over the storm water drain was opened up from Sunday on a 'trial' basis
(it is one-way from Chord Road side to Mysore Road). From the report only reason I could see for the trial basis is that it is not officially inaugurated and the new one-way section of Mysore Road from Gali Anjaneya temple to Satellite bus stand has not yet been marked and implemented.

Interesting part is that the new bridge is just ~400 metres, work commenced in 2006 and was 'almost' complete in 2011 and just opened up to traffic in 2013 ! Talk about fast-tracking infrastructure projects in our country

Last edited by NPV : 5th March 2013 at 10:21.
Old 5th March 2013, 11:09   #4164
Senior - BHPian

Re: My first "prang" in my Yeti - and I state Bangalore Traffic Police are decent blo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Poor LittleBigFoot had its first "prang" this morning.
Wow - sadly, the "bigger" vehicle is always at fault. And the pathetic attitude of the biker - hamming his injuries are sad to say the least. But thankfully the cops were better!
Old 5th March 2013, 11:10   #4165
BHPian

Quote:
From today's newspaper - the Gali Anjaneya bridge built over the storm water drain was opened up from Sunday on a 'trial' basis
(it is one-way from Chord Road side to Mysore Road). From the report only reason I could see for the trial basis is that it is not officially inaugurated and the new one-way section of Mysore Road from Gali Anjaneya temple to Satellite bus stand has not yet been marked and implemented.

Interesting part is that the new bridge is just ~400 metres, work commenced in 2006 and was 'almost' complete in 2011 and just opened up to traffic in 2013 ! Talk about fast-tracking infrastructure projects in our country
What I heard from many is the outcome is further screwing up the traffic at the merger opposite to Satellite bus stand. The road is turning into a bottleneck similar to BTM stretch
The plans were made keeping in mind the situation in 2005 when the work order was issued. Traffic almost doubles every year and now it is obviously not capable of handling the rush! See the kind of planning they have put from the below articles:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle4472416.ece
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle4475949.ece

After all these years also they have not solved the situation, instead more problems have come up. How can they not think about pedestrian crossings, merging traffic!
Old 5th March 2013, 12:36   #4166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
A couple of months back, BTP had posted on its FB page, a crazy plan for routing traffic through this bridge. I'm not able to find the plan now on the page, most likely it was removed. This was the plan they posted. Coming from Mysore side, motorists had to take a left at Deepanjalinagar depot signal towards Vijayanagar and then turn right onto the new ramp and proceed towards Gali Anjaneyaswamy Temple and join back to Mysore road. Traffic coming from Sirsi circle/Satellite bus stand would continue straight towards Deepanjalinagar. This road would be a one-way till the signal.
Here's the plan though not from BTP Facebook page, seems like the same pictorial representation they had posted a couple of weeks back.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...ostcount=14625

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-mysoreroad.jpg

Quote:
A section of Mysore Road will be made into a one-way to decongest traffic on the road.

The BBMP is in the final stages of construction of a ramp over the drain near Gali Anjaneya Temple which joins Mysore Road from Chord Road. The traffic police will designate the stretch between Gali Anjaneya Temple and Kimco Factory on Mysore Road as a one-way to ease traffic flow.

The BBMP has said that work will be completed before February last week and traffic police are taking up measures to shift traffic to alternative roads. Once the ramp is ready, traffic will move towards Mysore in the one-way direction. Vehicles reaching city from Mysore will have to take the ramp.

“Mysore Road is currently under pressure as multiple government agencies have taken up infrastructure work. Along with Metro and construction of flyover, the road is also due for widening since the last four years. This has resulted in increase in traffic volume on Mysore Road and hence a decision to convert a small stretch of Mysore Road into a one-way,” said Additional Commissioner of Police (Traffic) M.A. Saleem.

Professor M.N. Sreehari, Chairman of Traffic Engineering and Safety Training (TEST), said that the new one-way system will reduce pressure on Mysore Road. “The stretch, which will be turned into a one-way, has no scope for widening. Hence, it is better to shift the signal junction at Gali Anjaneya Temple. Moreover, once the traffic coming from Chord Road is shifted to the Temple junction, the vehicles going towards Mysore will not be held up for long,” Prof Sreehari explained.

But the plan now depends on completion of work by BBMP. Last month, when city Mayor D. Venkateshmurthy visited the construction site, he had ordered to fine the contractor if the work is not finished before the deadline of February 28, 2013.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th March 2013 at 12:39.
Old 5th March 2013, 12:42   #4167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
What I heard from many is the outcome is further screwing up the traffic at the merger opposite to Satellite bus stand. The road is turning into a bottleneck similar to BTM stretch
The plans were made keeping in mind the situation in 2005 when the work order was issued. Traffic almost doubles every year and now it is obviously not capable of handling the rush! See the kind of planning they have put from the below articles:
The bridge was ready long back. Only the entry and exit ramps had to be built and for that they took 2 long years.

A couple of months back, BTP had posted on its FB page, a crazy plan for routing traffic through this bridge. I'm not able to find the plan now on the page, most likely it was removed. This was the plan they posted. Coming from Mysore side, motorists had to take a left at Deepanjalinagar depot signal towards Vijayanagar and then turn right onto the new ramp and proceed towards Gali Anjaneyaswamy Temple and join back to Mysore road. Traffic coming from Sirsi circle/Satellite bus stand would continue straight towards Deepanjalinagar. This road would be a one-way till the signal.
Old 5th March 2013, 12:42   #4168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Here's the plan though not from BTP Facebook page, seems like the same pictorial representation they had posted a couple of weeks back.

Attachment 1058531
If I am not wrong, this is what they intend to do so. Introduce one way!
This is hown in the link which I have posted above from The Hindu and Mr. Saleem is in affirmative. I have not gone there yet and don't know how the bridge looks but still the whole plan appears to be half baked.
What worries me is the situation towards Sirsi Circle after the free flowing traffic reaches Satellite bus stand! The roads are too narrow and in horrible condition at present.

Last edited by MotoNanu : 5th March 2013 at 12:45.
MotoNanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 12:58   #4169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Thanks for the picture Parag. One look at the picture and you can see why it is crazy. I'm not sure who the brain behind this plan is, but really think he was on a high. I'm sure he's forgotten that there is traffic coming from Vijayanagar side towards Mysore road.
Old 5th March 2013, 13:28   #4170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Thanks for the picture Parag. One look at the picture and you can see why it is crazy. I'm not sure who the brain behind this plan is, but really think he was on a high. I'm sure he's forgotten that there is traffic coming from Vijayanagar side towards Mysore road.
And this kind of diverting of traffic is for the main road which is "acceptably' wider. Imagine the jokers who came up with the Magic Box at Cauvery theatre that ensures long jams in the evening every day. The planners must realize that Mysore road (Or even Bellary Road) sees a huge concentration of heavy vehicles (Buses) which cannot take these turns like how cars and 2 wheelers do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks