Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2011, 13:29   #2491
BANNED

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Though I agree, it is way too generalized Sir! Please note that a timid localite would also have been bulldozed here. I believe this guy mellowed down because I also did stoop down to his level (profanity and screaming my lungs out in public).
No Sir. Its a fact sir. I have been here for the past 10 years and I have seen this happen.

Now everyone is game - localite or otherwise. Earlier the people who could use kannada language to their benefit could not care about such things. Now it is coming on everyone.

I am sure you must have helped a lot of people in similar situations. The area where you got bumped such incidents are quite common. How have your experiences being in helping others in the situation you found yourself in?

Last edited by Spitfire : 12th August 2011 at 13:31.
Old 12th August 2011, 14:50   #2492
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Well I don't think I'm gonna write all my experiences here! We can surely talk about them in the next Tbhp meet.

Although, I have had a couple of embarrassing experiences where both parties asked me if I have witnessed the incident and I had not. From then on, I am careful about what I get myself into!

But yes, I did go against my cab driver when he bumped into a two wheeler! I made sure everyone in the cab opposed him and his style of driving. He was made to pay from his salary!

Alas, no I don't have it in me to intrude every argument and settle it, nor do I see a need for that! But yes, as already mentioned, I would surely get involved if I was the occupant of that cab!
Old 12th August 2011, 15:21   #2493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
No Sir. Its a fact sir. I have been here for the past 10 years and I have seen this happen.

Now everyone is game - localite or otherwise. Earlier the people who could use kannada language to their benefit could not care about such things. Now it is coming on everyone.
I've only been here the last 5, but it certainly is a fact, sir! Previously in my area being a Kannadiga gave one an upper hand, but now (after I've learnt some) it is no longer true. The cabbies, auto fellows, anyone who facies himself having sufficient "backup" rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
I am sure you must have helped a lot of people in similar situations. The area where you got bumped such incidents are quite common. How have your experiences being in helping others in the situation you found yourself in?
Nice comeback

In Bangalore, I have fought with a guy secretly taking pics of a woman on a volvo, bus/truck/cab drivers who were driving rashly, auto drivers who tried to overcharge; for myself and others. Not once has anyone ever come to back me up, including on a bus full of educated, upper-middle class people who were witness to the mini-brawl between me and the perv.
Old 12th August 2011, 15:59   #2494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Not once has anyone ever come to back me up, including on a bus full of educated, upper-middle class people who were witness to the mini-brawl between me and the perv.
reminds me of that age old saying: when you laugh, the world laughs with you. when you cry, you're on your own..
Old 12th August 2011, 15:59   #2495
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Well I don't think I'm gonna write all my experiences here! We can surely talk about them in the next Tbhp meet.
Sure thing.

Quote:
He was made to pay from his salary!
Good going.

Quote:
Alas, no I don't have it in me to intrude every argument and settle it, nor do I see a need for that! But yes, as already mentioned, I would surely get involved if I was the occupant of that cab!
Trust me no one wants to get involved. The need part is arguable. I believe being an ostrich turns back on us someday.

I have heard the argument of cab and company policies. I find these utterly stupid and created by the cowards in each of these companies.

We cannot complain anything against the cabs neither should we get involved. I find it utterly stupid that when a circular about these norms gets send out how the spineless employees lap it up. The cowards who came up with the policy are conveniently letting go of all responsibility of the employee once he gets into the cab. No one has been that smart yet about this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
The cabbies, auto fellows, anyone who facies himself having sufficient "backup" rules.
No backup is required. 90% of these guys fuel their guts from the 99% spineless on the road around them. Trust me if it comes to getting into a serious issue the cab drivers and auto drivers will ditch their mate in no time. Unless the original guy is himself a thug. And that is another concern.

Quote:
In Bangalore, I have fought
There are more of you. On this forum itself. Some lovely PMs I receive on how a little bit of courage and a little bit of time spend to sort out a issue has given so much back.

Everyone who steps up to help is that much confident to get out there then the cowards who don't help. I have seen this myself.
Old 12th August 2011, 17:09   #2496
BHPian

On my way at Benson town, cab trying to overtake from opp. Direction hit my right RVM, instantly breaking the glass. Took a U turn and blocked him further down the lane. When confronted, he refused to accept his mistake and payup for the damages further having the audacity to blaming me for damaging his RVM. Talk of police dosnt make any difference. While he was sitting inside, I see a customer inside getting impatient. I took out his car keys and started to drive, after traveling about a km I turned back and threw those keys back at him and proceed to my destination. From what I could see the customer had left the cab and the driver was on phone explaining his boss for the loss of business and much more that day.
The damage for me Rs.500 for glass replacement.
Old 12th August 2011, 18:41   #2497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
I took out his car keys and started to drive, after traveling about a km I turned back and threw those keys back at him and proceed to my destination.
How did the cabbie follow you for a KM when he couldn't drive his car?
Old 12th August 2011, 20:53   #2498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
How did the cabbie follow you for a KM when he couldn't drive his car?
I am guessing after going for a km, with the cabbie stranded where he was, shenoytech U-turned and came back to throw the keys to the cabbie.
Old 15th August 2011, 21:42   #2499
BHPian

You are right Abhinav, after traveling for some distance I took a U turn and threw the keys back at him. In fact I was so angry, I was contemplating disposing those keys and punish the guy, but decided not to do it.
Old 15th August 2011, 22:57   #2500
BHPian

This happened yesterday (Sunday) afternoon at around 11 am.

I was waiting at the traffic light on FM Cariappa road, near Rex theatre. Spot a cop with a Blackberry. Another cop discusses something with him, comes over and asks me to pull over. Do so thinking might be a routine check. During this time, I notice the BB cop typing on his BB.

The BB cop comes over and says that I have a pending fine from xx (date) September 2009 for voilating traffic light on Coles road. Ofcourse, I have no idea where I was on that day of September 2009. But I clearly remember checking on the Traffic Police website for any violations and there were NONE. And jumping traffic signal is the last thing I would ever do.

The cop asks a fine of Rs. 100. Tried to argue. But ultimately paid of the fine and also got a receipt (will scan and post it tomorrow).

Now:
1. How do I know confirm whether the cop had himself not entered the details on his BB just by entering some random date (which is not too old but old enough that the person is unable to recollect), my car number (which is right in front of him) and demanded the fine?

2. Out of the all the cars in the traffic light, how did the cop identify a car that had a pending 2009 ticket? Or do our Bangalore cops have devices so smart that can scan all the cars in fraction of a second and list out all the pending tickets?

3. Is there a way where, if at all, there are any pending tickets, ask them to mail them and not pay the (presumed) fine on the spot?

4. Or is this a new way the cops have started to enhance their income? - Most likely.

p.s. If I have violated any traffic laws, I have absolutly no issues in paying the fine (please note: fine and NOT bribe).
Old 15th August 2011, 23:19   #2501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi.Knight View Post
This happened yesterday (Sunday) afternoon at around 11 am.

I was waiting at the traffic light on FM Cariappa road, near Rex theatre. Spot a cop with a Blackberry. Another cop discusses something with him, comes over and asks me to pull over. Do so thinking might be a routine check. During this time, I notice the BB cop typing on his BB.

The BB cop comes over and says that I have a pending fine from xx (date) September 2009 for voilating traffic light on Coles road. Ofcourse, I have no idea where I was on that day of September 2009. But I clearly remember checking on the Traffic Police website for any violations and there were NONE. And jumping traffic signal is the last thing I would ever do.

The cop asks a fine of Rs. 100. Tried to argue. But ultimately paid of the fine and also got a receipt (will scan and post it tomorrow).

Now:
1. How do I know confirm whether the cop had himself not entered the details on his BB just by entering some random date (which is not too old but old enough that the person is unable to recollect), my car number (which is right in front of him) and demanded the fine?

2. Out of the all the cars in the traffic light, how did the cop identify a car that had a pending 2009 ticket? Or do our Bangalore cops have devices so smart that can scan all the cars in fraction of a second and list out all the pending tickets?

3. Is there a way where, if at all, there are any pending tickets, ask them to mail them and not pay the (presumed) fine on the spot?

4. Or is this a new way the cops have started to enhance their income? - Most likely.

p.s. If I have violated any traffic laws, I have absolutly no issues in paying the fine (please note: fine and NOT bribe).
Do you have a receipt for it? If you do then contact the Bangalore traffic police department via facebook and ask them about it on their wall. Sometimes even DCP traffic Mr Sood also replies to some genuine doubts.
Old 17th August 2011, 20:05   #2502
Team-BHP Support

Anyone who used the Marathahalli ORR route today morning via Silk board- HSR - Agara - Bellandur? The Massive jam ensured I took 2.5 hours to reach office (I usually take 45 minutes on the bike), Just wondering what the cause of the jam was. I didn't see any new dug up constructions on the route and the jam was non-existent beyond Intel. Did anyone see anything unusual anywhere? Yesterday evening it had rained heavily and there was lots of water logging, so that was understandable. Not sure what happened today

P.S - I work at Prestige Tech Park, Marathahalli. I was thinking of taking Marathahalli - HAL airport - intermediate ring road - St. Johns - Madiwala route from tomorrow to avoid the massive jams on the ORR route. Detour costs 4km more for me but somehow looks like a better option than getting stuck everyday

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th August 2011 at 20:08.
Old 18th August 2011, 08:20   #2503
BHPian

I take the same route karthik! I work in Adarsh tech park next to Intel. Apparently the jam started because of a vehicle break down near Multiplex and somehow spread over! Such a helpless and sad situation! I pity the cops there honestly!
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 08:36   #2504
Team-BHP Support

Sad to know that 1 incident caused the jam to percolate till HSR Agara 3kms away. The authorities need to seriously consider completing the flyovers quickly. It hurts to see tons of fuel being burnt up by idling vehicles in this route every single day

Raining heavily since morning in my place so I am preventively working from home. I am sure the marathahalli jam must have reached Silk board now

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th August 2011 at 08:44. Reason: typo
Old 18th August 2011, 08:40   #2505
Team-BHP Support

It took me 1.5 hours to get to work yesterday. The BWSSB work on the service roads means te main road is clogged. Of the 1.5 hours, 45 min was just being stuck between Prestige tech park and Intel.

Return was bad around MG road.

And this morning, road under a bus outside Baldwins collapsed. i was hemmed in near Elgin. Luckily, a group of auto drivers walked down and told everyone to back up. The cop at the junction merely stared although he allowed Langofrd Road to be 2 way

Most Viewed