Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2024, 16:13   #21961
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Today afternoon's rain seemed to be very heavy. I left office at EGL Domlur relatively early, around 2.45 pm and still took me almost 1 hr 15 min to reach home near Bellandur ORR.
Flooding was evident at the Bellandur lake bridge, and along the ORR service roads. Stay safe BHPians !
capnemo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2024, 18:56   #21962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnemo View Post
Today afternoon's rain seemed to be very heavy. I left office at EGL Domlur relatively early, around 2.45 pm and still took me almost 1 hr 15 min to reach home near Bellandur ORR.
Flooding was evident at the Bellandur lake bridge, and along the ORR service roads. Stay safe BHPians !
Yes, most of ORR from Kadubisanahalli to Marathahalli and then the old airport road - Siddapura to Varthur kodi all showed quite a bit of flooding. I left at 330 amidst the rains and reached whitefield by around 4.05 PM. Thankfully the return traffic hadn't begun by then.
Old 30th August 2024, 14:58   #21963
BHPian

After many years of commuting on the Kadubesanahalli flyover after Marthahali, I still can't understand the logic of the police's implementation of traffic on top of the flyover. Why are the vehicles asked to stop in the middle of the flyover and not at the entry points? Every day, this causes at least 15 minutes of additional delay.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-kadubesanahalli-flyover.jpg

I hope Traffic cops will change it and decongest the flyover
arun_sharon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 16:42   #21964
BHPian

The other day my son missed his school bus and since he had sufficient time, I thought I will save some trouble to myself and drop him at the bus stop (opp Wipro office on Sarjapur Road) and he takes a bus to Agara. We waited from 7:35 to 7:50 and there was not a single bus that came. Finally at 7:50 a couple of buses came but were so crowded that it was impossible for him to get on. So, I dropped him off by scooter and as expected, had a nightmare coming back on ORR.

I’m not a frequent user of BMTC and have no idea if it is normal, but to not have a bus on one of the main roads of the city for 20 minutes during peak hours seems really bad. Has the service deteriorated so much?
Old 30th August 2024, 17:34   #21965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
I’m not a frequent user of BMTC and have no idea if it is normal, but to not have a bus on one of the main roads of the city for 20 minutes during peak hours seems really bad. Has the service deteriorated so much?
Your observation is correct. Though the schedule is evenly spaced out, the reality is different, owing to the unpredictable traffic. You would see a few buses coming one after another and there would be a lull period.

BTW, most buses have GPS tracking now and can be located from the App (Namma BMTC).
bejoy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 18:10   #21966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
I’m not a frequent user of BMTC and have no idea if it is normal, but to not have a bus on one of the main roads of the city for 20 minutes during peak hours seems really bad.
BMTC is a law unto themselves. In the mornings, I get a bus easily to the Metro station and to Majestic. In the evenings there are hardly any buses. Shouldn't there be a comparable number of buses for people returning from work? I really don't know what happens to all the buses in the evenings. Drivers decide at random how long to wait at the depot. The same bus that I took yesterday would have vanished today, no guarantee it will be at the bus stop at the same time I got it yesterday.

(Yes, yes, a lot of people will jump in and say it's better than the bus service in several other cities, and that is true, but its operational efficiency is nowhere near what Bangalore traffic needs.)

The inefficient way BMTC operates and the thug behavior of the auto guys are big reasons Bangalore traffic has gotten so bad, people can't rely on last mile connectivity, even with a Metro coming up, so naturally will need a personal vehicle. Huge missed opportunity here.

Last edited by am1m : 30th August 2024 at 18:13.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 19:17   #21967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
In the evenings there are hardly any buses. Shouldn't there be a comparable number of buses for people returning from work? I really don't know what happens to all the buses in the evenings.
A lot of BMTC busses gets diverted to ferry company employees, both Govt. and Pvt and sometime even schools use BMTC busses for the students. This has been happening for ages now. Back in the day, companies like BEL, HAL, ITI had their own fleet of busses to ferry their employees, you hardly see them now and are replaced by BMTC and this kind of coincides with the peak office commute for a lot of people.
Old 30th August 2024, 19:21   #21968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

The inefficient way BMTC operates and the thug behavior of the auto guys are big reasons Bangalore traffic has gotten so bad, people can't rely on last mile connectivity, even with a Metro coming up, so naturally will need a personal vehicle. Huge missed opportunity here.
Absolutely true.

I used to commute by bus inspite of a car, in the last decade. The unpredictability of buses meant that one could wait 20 - 30 min just for a bus. After a point, you give up because the public transport doesn't quite measure up and resort to your car.

To force a change in behaviour enmasse, there's got to be - in dual measure - 1) an incentive, 2) and a commensurate deterrent or penalty. For example, an efficient & comfortable public transport and something like a heavy congestion tax for private vehicles would mean a lot of commuters naturally gravitate towards buses, autos, trains and metros. But all these will exist only in theory books, our city doesn't have that much administrative will.

Last edited by graaja : 31st August 2024 at 11:38. Reason: Language.
capnemo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 20:15   #21969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
A lot of BMTC busses gets diverted to ferry company employees, both Govt. and Pvt and sometime even schools use BMTC busses for the students. This has been happening for ages now. Back in the day, companies like BEL, HAL, ITI had their own fleet of busses to ferry their employees, you hardly see them now and are replaced by BMTC and this kind of coincides with the peak office commute for a lot of people.
I think thats reduced a lot these days. Most companies and tech parks have switched to private fleet companies for employee transport. I hardly see ORRCA BMTC buses or GE or such stuff. I guess the reason is the dilapidation in the quality of the Volvos and administrative issues. Thats why we see more and more swanky AC buses running on the ORR from different companies.

There are times when three 500CAs run back to back and other times when theres not a single bus for 30 mins. This is due to poor schedule of the buses and nothing else.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2024, 10:08   #21970
BHPian

Here are some stats on bangalore traffic

* Average daily congestion length of 1638 Kms in August 2024
* Vehicle speed of 18.6 kmph in August 2024 - which means on an average it takes one hour to cover 18.6 kms point to point (I fell it may take much more than hour)
* 23 lakhs private cars in Bangalore highest in India

I was wondering how does one calculate the first two? If the stats are scientifically calculated, then why not standardize and publish it regularly for top cities? That aside this raises a question of how do we as an individual handle this challenge?

* Use a small automatic car?
* Use rented auto/ small car?
* Why not own an auto? Is there a business case for high end air conditioned automatic auto?
* Use a scooter?

How do you handle this challenge?

Reference:

https://newskarnataka.com/karnataka/...8-km/29082024/

Last edited by ravradha : 31st August 2024 at 10:25. Reason: Added a point
Old 31st August 2024, 11:08   #21971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post

* Why not own an auto? Is there a business case for high end air conditioned automatic auto?
All this is going to do if allowed is to present the autowallah thugs an excuse to beat up private citizens who dare to buy and use one
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks