Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2024, 00:15   #21946
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

All the scientific analysis, design and testing cannot prevent a system from failing if it's at its failure threshold. As many have stated above and previously, bangalore roads, like Mumbai Suburban trains, are overcrowded and at breaking point in terms of their capacity.

The only reason for this is the corruption at RTO in issuing a license to people.

I still remember a good friend of my Dad's asking him to teach him scooter driving so that he could get his license without issues, this is in 1995-96 when we had first moved to Bangalore from Delhi on dad's posting to Command Hospital. He still had to grease palms but he had to know what he was doing to get the approval for license. He had to take the approving authority on his scooter around the block on his scooter without causing any issues, meaning he had to know both the technical and non-technical aspects of driving.

Today, you just to any driving school and they will have a package deal for getting your driving license for various categories of vehicles with bare minimal technical training for driving the vehicle and absolutely zero training on the etiquette of driving on public roads. When they turn up at RTO, all they have to do is drive a vehicle, without stalling, from point A to point b which is barely 100m and they are issued a license. RTO's have an approval rate is like the placement rates mentioned in the advertisement of engineering colleges when it should be closer to the pass percentage or JEE or UPSC exams.

Till this discrepancy isn't sorted, our road sense and discipline will only further down not up.
Old 26th August 2024, 09:51   #21947
BHPian

Just came across this news piece

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...478253624.html
Name:  Bangalore underground tunnel.png
Views: 108
Size:  308.5 KB

Why is the Govt okay to spend 12000 crores on a single road project?

Instead - Spend 2000-3000 crores to improve transportation across the city

1. Add 2000 more electric - busses to the network. They can add double this if it were diesel. In real life the efficiency of 1 Diesel bus >>> 20 Petrol cars + 20 Scooters

2. Improve depots, passenger amenities and last mile connectivity

3. Bring more tech - apps, tracking, nfc payments

Is this all because such massive projects can be funded by agencies like JICA who give out easy and no interest loans with some riders?
jerk_free is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 10:08   #21948
BHPian

No, JICA and other agencies fund even acquisition projects like E-Bus and stuff. This is primarily to inflate and acquire real estate for their cronies and of course the massive kickbacks from the contractors.

If there was a concerted plan to relieve Bangalore of its pressure, they would have implemented the proposal from IISC on how to decongest Bangalore roads and bring wholistic development.

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th August 2024 at 10:11. Reason: Minor typo correction
Jazzybala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 10:27   #21949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerk_free View Post
Why is the Govt okay to spend 12000 crores on a single road project?...
Why the state govt. also needs money for extracurricular activities.

Quote:
...Instead - Spend 2000-3000 crores to improve transportation across the city...
Well, the goal never was to improve transportation. Multiple expert studies have shown that underground roads are:
1. Prohibitively costly.
2. A burden to manage and sustain.
3. Prone to traffic jams and other vagaries of road travel.
4. Make no sense when compared to metro or rail travel or even adding additional public transportation facilities.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 10:29   #21950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is this all because such massive projects can be funded by agencies like JICA who give out easy and no interest loans with some riders?
Not sure if JICA will fund road projects, from what I understand, they fund several metro projects, across countries, including the Bangalore Metro.

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...-chief-2713152

But overall, this government seems hell-bent on this tunnel project. :( I guess more opportunities to make money with a local project rather than a project like the Metro which will have more oversight from the Center and also from the funding agencies.

Not looking forward to this. We've seen with even the underground sections of the Metro how hard it is to drill through Bangalore's rocky underground. And just because it's underground, doesn't mean there won't be disruptions to traffic and roads above. TBMs need ramps to be lowered and raised, during the Metro drilling TBMs kept breaking down because of the hard rock. Cutters had to be shipped in, skilled operators had to be shipped in. All causing delays. And that was a much shorter tunnel distance.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 11:00   #21951
BHPian

This is a vanity project which can also get some kickbacks. The best of both worlds for the political class.

They can put that money to much better use like fixing the broken roads, de-silting the drains, adding more buses, etc. These simple things can make the traffic flow much better. But then it would make Bangalore lose its current USP and claim to fame which is bad traffic :-)
Old 26th August 2024, 11:12   #21952
Team-BHP Support

It's never going to cost 'just' 12000 Crores, and it sure as hell isn't going to solve any problems, only create new ones before, during and after. That's assuming it ever gets going beyond the 'pocketed the first instalment of funding' phase with the current administration, before the next administration declares it unviable because 'there's nothing left for us to pocket'.

They can't even fund and complete a simple 100 meter flyover at PESIT NICE interchange (site dug up in mid-late 2020), and we're supposed to believe these imbeciles can handle a mega tunnel road project? Sorry, my unicorn is getting antsy as this rant is delaying its lunch. Toodleo.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 11:28   #21953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
They can't even fund and complete a simple 100 meter flyover at PESIT NICE interchange (site dug up in mid-late 2020), and we're supposed to believe these imbeciles can handle a mega tunnel road project? Sorry, my unicorn is getting antsy as this rant is delaying its lunch. Toodleo.
Another example being the koramangala water tank flyover, which is opening for more than 5 years now if memory serves me correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Not sure if JICA will fund road projects, from what I understand, they fund several metro projects, across countries, including the Bangalore Metro.
JICA usually don't care of how the development takes place as long as it's clear and marked. JICA is currently funding multiple NHAI 4 landing projects, along with Metros not to mention the HSR between AMD and BOM. JICA does vet the proposal before approving but I am sure the "folks in the know" who are pushing this tunnel project know how to manage this vetting process to get their useless costly vanity project through.

Last edited by ampere : 26th August 2024 at 13:57. Reason: Quote Tags fixed
Jazzybala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 11:33   #21954
Senior - BHPian

A few years ago, there was a proposal to build a flyover from Chalukya Circle to Hebbal. The lack of this infrastructure has left commuters stuck at Windsor Circle, Cauvery Junction, Mekhri Circle Underpass, and Hebbal Junction.

Currently, the travel time between Hebbal and Silkboard ranges from 60 to 120 minutes. An 18 km tunnel, allowing travel at 40 km/hr, could reduce this to just 30 minutes. Examples like the Sirsi Circle flyover, E-City, Double-decker Jayadeva flyover, and the Airport flyover (Hebbal to Toll booth) have all eased traffic congestion, even as the population has doubled and the number of vehicles has tripled since 2010.

While public transport is beneficial, it doesn’t suit everyone’s needs. Each metro line can support up to 4 lakh riders, and with five lines, the network could accommodate 20 lakh riders at best. Buses can support 40 lakh riders. However, public transport is most effective for those carrying only personal luggage. For those needing to carry more than 15 kg, travel at odd hours, or make multiple transfers, public transport isn’t always viable. They need to rely on roads.

Roads are essential for commercial freight carriers, public buses, school buses, public utilities like police, fire, and ambulance services. Therefore, a balanced approach to developing both road infrastructure and public transport is crucial. I feel this tunnel will improve the road infrastructure of Bangalore.

Last edited by msdivy : 26th August 2024 at 11:35.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 13:30   #21955
BHPian

If one thinks that 12,000Cr is all its going to cost, you are extremely naive. When was the last time any of the local infra project was completed within the stipulated timeframe and pre decided budget (generally it is a few multiple of this amount and years allocated). The Koramangala flyover (or the Bangalore Stonehenge ) should serve as a stern reminder of the inadequacy, inefficiency, corrupt mindset of the local guv while piling on the maximum inconvenience possible during the build (and then some more) for the mango public.

How is it that this absolutely stupid idea gets a nod in the budget sessions, but there are no trains to start the yellow line.
Seems its high time we have some sort of intervention by the central government and/or the judiciary for public spending by the states.

Current roads are in shambles, metro progress is painfully slow, BMTC # has gone down and the moronic policy makers of the state only care about how to siphon off more money from the official coffers. Just fix the existing roads, have no tolerance to traffic rule breakers (specially one way and parking on main roads) and travel time by roads would come down massively.
Who is to say how much time will they take to cave through the city and actually build the tunnels?
Sorry for the rant but these are taxes we pay, and such wastage really triggers the mind.

Last edited by ShreyG : 26th August 2024 at 13:33.
ShreyG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 13:32   #21956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyHorse1188 View Post
Sorry about OT, but this bought back memories of my old watering holes and movie theaters along this stretch.

Coming back topic, this is clearly before Bangalore exploded in mid 2000's after the IT and ITES boom.
Old 26th August 2024, 15:36   #21957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerk_free
I would also be worried on the safety & security in this tunnel road. Vehicles stalling, or worse catching fire inside the tunnel is a possibility. Are there escape route mid-way? Or special routes or tracks by which police & emergency services can reach quickly? The elevated highway also has this problem. If a vehicle breaks down, or if there is a major accident the police and ambulance reaching the spot is a bit tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG
The Koramangala flyover (or the Bangalore Stonehenge ) should serve as a stern reminder of the inadequacy, inefficiency, corrupt mindset of the local guv while piling on the maximum inconvenience possible during the build (and then some more) for the mango public.
Liked the term Bangalore Stonehenge :. The stonehenge still remains the same, and IIRC even the second contractor who agreed to re-start the work has now backed out or planning to backout. I don't think this fly over would be ready any time soon. The proposed tunnel road would also be a scheme to use the tunnel to sink the money (to certain pockets).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzybala
Coming back topic, this is clearly before Bangalore exploded in mid 2000's after the IT and ITES boom.
Need to watch this video at leisure. I was in Bangalore by this time. Utility Building and the Prestige Meridian twin towers would have been the tallest building in the CBD at that time. Roads like KG Road, Nripathunga Road etc were two way roads. Dairy Circle actually had a roundabout. Silk Board Jn was just a normal four road intersection (with signal lights?). Electronics City was like a remote sattellite area far away from the city. HSR layout was slowly getting ready (land price was around 600-800 sq.ft) with dacoities also a common occurence. Even in 2002 the land on both sides of Bayyappanahalli RS towards KJM was more like fields, with the tracks going in the middle. On a Sunday morning, I could reach my friends' house in Thavarakere in 30-35 minutes starting from Yeshwantpur.
Old 26th August 2024, 16:45   #21958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
For those needing to carry more than 15 kg, travel at odd hours, or make multiple transfers, public transport isn’t always viable. They need to rely on roads.
Completely agree with this statement as I usually lug around my work tool kit weighing 10kgs in my car with me but the number of people who actually need to do this very small compared to number of people who use personal vehicle for a simple point A to point B and back commutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Roads are essential for commercial freight carriers, public buses, school buses, public utilities like police, fire, and ambulance services. Therefore, a balanced approach to developing both road infrastructure and public transport is crucial. I feel this tunnel will improve the road infrastructure of Bangalore.
By moving people who have simple commute(requiring 1-2 intermodal trannlsfers) from personal vehicles to public transit helps free up capacity on the road that can be utilised by all the players you have mentioned. Once this capacity is utilized we can look at adding additional capacity to the road network.

Also, our expenditures have to be very efficient in terms of their bang for the buck as we are not a nation that has plenty of resources to simply writeoff a bad investment.
Jazzybala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 16:49   #21959
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore Traffic Police with a 'Join the Commute ' initiative. Not a bad idea in my view.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...-12806887.html
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 17:02   #21960
BHPian

Quote:

Instead - Spend 2000-3000 crores to improve transportation across the city
Special congratulations are in order for the politicians, BBMP and contractors. Bangalore topography is unsuitable for underground tunnels as seen in Metro, Cauvery Underpass, Kadirenahalli Underpass and many other examples. Wonder which idiot did the DPR.

After tunnel completion(hypothetically speaking), a simple rain would flood the tunnel. Its one thing to loot tax payers money but demonic to play with human lives. At least spare the lives

PS: I hope news items titled "Tunnel built under a encroached lake flooded in rains" never sees light of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Bangalore Traffic Police with a 'Join the Commute ' initiative. Not a bad idea in my view.
I genuinely hope they don't ask the office goers for drop till their police station. Funny and sad but very much plausible

If BTP and RTO look the other way when ride sharing & car pooling operate, there would be relatively less traffic and chaos.
akhil_007 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks