Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2024, 13:07   #21886
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
You see AI worked best when there is a good data set. Traffic in Bangalore roads follows no logic or trend - its just haphazard all day, night, week, year. All of a sudden you will see traffic slowing down or stopping - for no reason. AI will be unable to learn from such chaotic traffic situation and will fail. I hope I am wrong.
Do we know the details of this AI ? Is it pre-trained or training all the time ? You can sample data, tag and use it to remove unwanted things.
Old 9th August 2024, 13:24   #21887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Traffic in Jayanagar in the last few days has been extremely bad, with pile ups seen in roads that never used to have any jams. Especially, multiple junctions in 40th cross, 36th cross, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And they have added one inconvenience to taking the flyover:

Only vehicles coming in from Jayanagar side can easily enter the flyover. For vehicles that come from JP Nagar side have to go upto Sangam circle, take a U-turn and then head onto the flyover. Earlier we used to have a turn near the Shell bunk. That has been temporarily closed. The signal near Raghavendra Swamy Matth also does not have a right turn when coming from 15th cross side.
Last week when I went to my Office in J.P Nagar 2nd Phase, I saw barricades put on the Marenahalli road below metro tracks which connects from J.P Nagar 2nd Phase to Jayanagar 5th Block (Opposite to Shell Bunk). Many people were using this small connecting road to avoid the signal. And also BMTC buses from J.P Nagar 2nd Phase going to Majestic & K.R Market though Jayanagar 4th Block would be affected by this blockade.

When returning from Office in the evening, the traffic police was speaking on the PA address system that right turn at Raghavendra swamy matha for vehicles coming from Banashankari & Jayanagar 5th Block and entering to J.P Nagar 2nd Phase (24th Main road) is prohibited. I wondered how will BMTC buses go, may be they are exempted ?

So hence 40th cross & 38th cross are getting jammed.

Below is where the barricades were put and right turn was not allowed. I don't if these are still present this week also.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-jayanagarjpnagar.jpg
bobbyblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 13:36   #21888
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe a silly question but here goes:

Generally speaking for signalled intersections, are all left turns free even on red OR do they need to be specifically marked as 'free'?

For example, Kolkata typically operates on the 'no free left turn' principle. There is typically a sign with the left turn crossed out and/or may have signage 'Left turn only on signal'. However, I'm a little unsure whether these are State-wise tweaks or general rules as per the CMVR.

I have noticed Bangalore also operates like CCU. The problem arises when drivers (who are unused to the intersection), unwittingly block the left turn only to face abuse and honking from vehicles stuck behind.

Last edited by itwasntme : 9th August 2024 at 13:38.
Old 9th August 2024, 13:43   #21889
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
For example, Kolkata typically operates on the 'no free left turn' principle.
I have noticed Bangalore also operates like CCU. The problem arises when drivers (who are unused to the intersection), unwittingly block the left turn only to face abuse and honking from vehicles stuck behind.
That's the default state. Over the last 2+ years, I have been stopped & fined by cops twice at different parts of the city; for taking a left at a signal that didn't have a 'no free left turn' signage. On protesting, I was informed by default assume the above principle by the cops.
Old 9th August 2024, 13:55   #21890
BHPian

Vehicles coming from Yeshwantpura side turning left towards Kanteerava studio on ring road used to have a small free left barricaded lane. This was sufficient for only one car.

Yesterday I noticed they removed the concrete blocks that narrowed this and expanded this into 2 lanes. This has made it so easy for traffic and prevents un-necessary stopping of vehicles taking left and also jam that it created behind upto the Gorguntepalya junction.

A very welcome change
PreludeSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 20:34   #21891
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
Many people were using this small connecting road to avoid the signal. And also BMTC buses from J.P Nagar 2nd Phase going to Majestic & K.R Market though Jayanagar 4th Block would be affected by this blockade.

So hence 40th cross & 38th cross are getting jammed.
Even if we used the side-road, the now-blocked-intersection near the Shell bunk was the key to get to 4th block faster. And for BMTC buses, are they now going onto RV road to get to 4th block ?

The other new issue now is the new signals on RV road - it's become a pain, especially with the duration of the signals. The manual control was easier, IMO.
Old 9th August 2024, 22:54   #21892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And for BMTC buses, are they now going onto RV road to get to 4th block ?

The other new issue now is the new signals on RV road - it's become a pain, especially with the duration of the signals. The manual control was easier, IMO.
I don't know about the BMTC routes now after these new blockades. I think it will be really difficult for people waiting for the buses at Jayanagar 5th block stop.

I saw the installation of the new VAC (Vehicle Actuated Control) signal near the R.V Road metro station last week. There is a control box which has the manual override buttons for this new signal.
Old 10th August 2024, 07:59   #21893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
I saw the installation of the new VAC (Vehicle Actuated Control) signal near the R.V Road metro station last week. There is a control box which has the manual override buttons for this new signal.
That 5th block bus-stop would be (temporarily) redundant now.

These would be the new traffic control system that was in the pipeline for more than a year across the city. (even Pune has this, IIRC. Dont know which other cities have it)

Manual control would be normal part of the system - was there in the old one too.
Old 12th August 2024, 07:14   #21894
Distinguished - BHPian

Hellish torrential rain since early today in the Yelahanka area. Going to be a fun Monday. Take care everyone!
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 08:09   #21895
Distinguished - BHPian

Water logging in many areas. Update posted on X.

Link
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 13:19   #21896
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I had a nightmarish experience today.

Had a flight to catch in the morning with scheduled departure at 7.40 am. I woke up just before 4 am, awakened by numerous flashes of lightning and very heavy rain. I left with my trusted cab agency guy exactly at 4.35 am from my home on ORR near Kadubeesanahalli.

While the city was relatively empty due to the long holidays, water logging had already started on Marathahalli ORR and some stretches from tin factory to Hebbal. My cab driver rode sanely with the extremely heavy rain, and we made good time till we reached Hebbal flyover at 5.10 am. When we reached the Hebbal flyover, there was huge water-logging which none of the cars dared to wade through. Traffic just stood still from 5.10 am to 6.10 am. Cars could neither go forward due to the water levels, nor go backwards due to traffic piled up for miles. I got down from my cab and started walking in the reverse direction in the rain, down the flyover, hoping to catch another cab from Manyata when my cab driver called me to come back since the water levels had receded slightly and cars were starting to pass through. God knows who cleared the water-logging, but cars started wading through one by one.

Even after Hebbal, there was water logging in numerous places along the airport road stretch and we caught an Ertiga aqua-planing just ahead of us. Thankfully, the rest of the ride was uneventful and I eventually reached my flight gate just in time for boarding !

Hell of a monday morning.

Last edited by capnemo : 12th August 2024 at 13:35.
capnemo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 13:22   #21897
BHPian

The Ministers promote this as Brand Bangalore. Instead of investing in projects like the under-tunnel, they should address fundamental issues such as drainage and road maintenance.

Last edited by manjubp : 12th August 2024 at 13:23.
manjubp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 13:46   #21898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
The Ministers promote this as Brand Bangalore. Instead of investing in projects like the under-tunnel, they should address fundamental issues such as drainage and road maintenance.

Some of the things Bengaluru needs before tunnels and stupid amusement park like a Skydeck:
  • Roads with a constant carriage way
  • Drains and gutters next to these roads
  • Junctions with proper lane demarkations and barricading where possible
  • Desilting of all the mud on the roads

I think we can add a lot of sensible, relatively cheaper items here to this list which will make a lot of difference to commuters life rather than fancy thousand crore projects with no logical thought process.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 14:16   #21899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnemo View Post
God knows who cleared the water-logging, but cars started wading through one by one.
Now we also know : post on X by Bangalore Traffic Police

Hats off to them - it is probably not their responsibility to do this.
Old 12th August 2024, 14:35   #21900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Tunnels will provide Bangalore, what the city has been missing for decades -
The perfect storm water drain system, making city roads free of waterlogging during rainy season.
In summers, people of Bangalore would be able to ride inside these tunnels (A La Terminator 2 style), beating the overflowing on road vehicles of Bangalore -

Any resemblance in the clip with Blore two wheeler riders & Water tankers, is purely coincidental & certainly not intentional

Last edited by Acharya : 12th August 2024 at 14:51.
Acharya is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks