Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2024, 18:34   #21871
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Today's commute was ultra painful. No worse or better statistically but I was in the dumps on my bike. I simply put my bike on the sidestand and sat on the pavement, twice. I had that much time being stuck. It is depressing to see average speed less than 30kmph. I find myself asking if we even need bikes and cars. A controversial opinion on a car forum but I really want to see how the traffic is, if we banned cars for a week. If there were no cars, I would feel a lot safer riding a bicycle and I will still be doing similar average speeds no?
Old 6th August 2024, 19:10   #21872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And they have added one inconvenience to taking the flyover:

Only vehicles coming in from Jayanagar side can easily enter the flyover. For vehicles that come from JP Nagar side have to go upto Sangam circle, take a U-turn and then head onto the flyover. Earlier we used to have a turn near the Shell bunk. That has been temporarily closed. The signal near Raghavendra Swamy Matth also does not have a right turn when coming from 15th cross side.
You neednt go all the way till Sangam circle. Just continue straight towards Jayanagar and there are two median gaps shortly ahead where you can take right turn and enter a bylane to get back to the flyover.
Old 6th August 2024, 21:01   #21873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
You neednt go all the way till Sangam circle. Just continue straight towards Jayanagar and there are two median gaps shortly ahead where you can take right turn and enter a bylane to get back to the flyover.
That is nearer, but not a great spot for a U-turn, bad roads on the return leg, narrow side-lanes. and the turn is after Shalini ground starts :|
Old 6th August 2024, 21:19   #21874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is nearer, but not a great spot for a U-turn, bad roads on the return leg, narrow side-lanes. and the turn is after Shalini ground starts :|
I wrote about taking a right turn, not a U turn. You have two median gaps before Shalini ground temple so no need to even go till there.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.jpg
Old 6th August 2024, 22:54   #21875
Distinguished - BHPian

Please check comments. This is an area that I go to regularly.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-response.png
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 23:06   #21876
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2637850
Sorry, you are mistaken. The congested area you have marked is a residential road and not the really congested area which is the junction having a small circle in front of the small temple. Before even reaching there, there are two gaps in median. I use this daily for commute both ways so not sure why you didnt find the same. It was just there yesterday morning. Will share picture tomorrow morning.

Last edited by audioholic : 6th August 2024 at 23:09.
Old 7th August 2024, 09:12   #21877
Senior - BHPian

Folks - Is there any discussions happening in the STRR connecting Hoskote to Dabaspet? Is there a dedicated thread or its being discussed here?
Old 7th August 2024, 09:19   #21878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Folks - Is there any discussions happening in the STRR connecting Hoskote to Dabaspet? Is there a dedicated thread or its being discussed here?
Mostly here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5813396 (On Bypassing Bangalore)

Had requested Mods to carve out the STRR posts to a new thread, but wasn't actioned for whatever reason.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 12:15   #21879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2637850
Pretty big gap here:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_3295.jpeg
Old 7th August 2024, 12:27   #21880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pretty big gap here:
Attachment 2637979
This U turn does get congested during peak hours as traffic from 39th cross road (to the left of your pic) would want to turn right onto the main road while the traffic from JP Nagar side would wait to turn right or U turn at that junction. I have been stuck few times on this stretch both morning and evening times (this is my route to office). I think this is what Condor meant by congested and not due to width of the road or median.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 12:56   #21881
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
This U turn does get congested during peak hours as traffic from 39th cross road (to the left of your pic) would want to turn right onto the main road while the traffic from JP Nagar side would wait to turn right or U turn at that junction. I have been stuck few times on this stretch both morning and evening times (this is my route to office). I think this is what Condor meant by congested and not due to width of the road or median.
+1

In the evening, that stretch is a mess given there’s no signal; and folks use this to bypass the signal and traffic on the main road.

Quote:
Pretty big gap here:
Attachment 2637979
I believe you are referencing the turn in front of the park in your pic while @condor was referencing the junction where 44th cross road hits that road; which doesn’t have a divider gap.
Old 7th August 2024, 13:42   #21882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
This is the confusion. The junction where people take a right turn is not here. Its a different one. This gap whose picture I have shared is leading into a small bylane and not 39th cross. How can I stand in this junction and take this picture?
Check the picture below:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_3297.jpeg

I am standing at the junction leading to 11th a Main road and not at 39th cross road which you all are mentioning about. To conclude this discussion, there are three median gaps between Raghavendra Swamy Mata junction and Shanti Hospital junction. One is heading to 11th a Main road which is a dead end, second one going towards 39th cross, which is congested and then the third one with the mini circle at 38th cross junction.

Last edited by audioholic : 7th August 2024 at 13:53.
Old 8th August 2024, 12:17   #21883
BHPian

Traffic in Jayanagar in the last few days has been extremely bad, with pile ups seen in roads that never used to have any jams. Especially, multiple junctions in 40th cross, 36th cross, etc.

This also coincides with new "AI based" traffic signals that have been installed in multiple junctions:

https://www.moneycontrol.com/technol...-12784708.html

You could recognize these signals with a "VAC" being displayed. But I'm not sure if those signals are the reason for the jams, though my skeptical gut feel says that the much hyped "AI" is not really working here.
Old 9th August 2024, 10:14   #21884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Traffic in Jayanagar in the last few days has been extremely bad, with pile ups seen in roads that never used to have any jams. Especially, multiple junctions in 40th cross, 36th cross, etc.
Couldn't possibly agree more with you on this and I stay somewhere in between these cross roads, so I can personally vouch for this

But I really believe that the biggest cause for all the jams are also the biggest congregation of senseless and dumb motorists. I can't seem to understand why everybody is in such a haste to cross an intersection or junction.

Right of way, sensible motoring, intersection etiquette are just as prevalent as cleanliness in today's Namma Bengaluru!!
Old 9th August 2024, 12:08   #21885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
--snipped--

You could recognize these signals with a "VAC" being displayed. But I'm not sure if those signals are the reason for the jams, though my skeptical gut feel says that the much hyped "AI" is not really working here.
You see AI worked best when there is a good data set. Traffic in Bangalore roads follows no logic or trend - its just haphazard all day, night, week, year. All of a sudden you will see traffic slowing down or stopping - for no reason. AI will be unable to learn from such chaotic traffic situation and will fail. I hope I am wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks