Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2024, 21:00   #21751
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Another shot from BBMP. They need AI-enabled vehicle to spot potholes, damaged streetlights and footpaths.

Source
https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...885224475.html

Do we have a 1km road stretch any where in BBMP limits with out a pothole sans elevated road and few VIP sections.
Old 29th May 2024, 09:40   #21752
BHPian

This is such a kick in the shins --> https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c.../110504969.cms

Spent crores of Rupees, 7 years of pain for the people commuting and living there and now the advice seems to be to scrap and dismantle the flyover.
Seems like a generation of BBMP folks have earned enough from a single, incomplete flyover to happily retire.
I remember reading a new article about 7-8 months back (from the Hindu IIRC) with the tagline "BBMP is the number 1 enemy of Bangalore". The context may have been different but damn is that a tagline to be proud of.
ShreyG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 10:09   #21753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
Spent crores of Rupees, 7 years of pain for the people commuting and living there and now the advice seems to be to scrap and dismantle the flyover.
I don't think that flyover will be dismantled. The article talks about an upcoming Metro there on the Inner Ring Road as if it were a done deal. But the fact is that the stretch doesn't seem to be on any of the planned Bangalore Metro Routes. When even the sanctioned, financed, and under-construction Metro routes look like they will complete only sometime in the 2030s, it's highly unlikely.

Ultimately, they will have to get some new contractor to finish the damn thing. At a very, very considerable additional cost to all of us, from our tax money, of course.

Last edited by am1m : 29th May 2024 at 10:12.
Old 29th May 2024, 10:39   #21754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Another shot from BBMP. They need AI-enabled vehicle to spot potholes, damaged streetlights and footpaths.

Source
https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...885224475.html

Do we have a 1km road stretch any where in BBMP limits with out a pothole sans elevated road and few VIP sections.
I think they want to spend money needlessly. Think about the fuel wastage just to detect the pot holes.

Coming to roads, I travel mostly in the older parts of Bengaluru and don't find potholes. Roads have been laid/re-laid from state elections onwards and are good quality ones with 2 layers. Years ago they were in shambles.
Old 29th May 2024, 15:30   #21755
BHPian

If one ends us with a flat tyre without toolkit can result in fines ranging from 500-10k!
No mention if one needs to know how swap a tyre though.

https://www.timesnownews.com/bengalu...icle-110415545
Old 29th May 2024, 18:26   #21756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
If one ends us with a flat tyre without toolkit can result in fines ranging from 500-10k!
More than the flat tyre (which is not in one's control) the report also mentions vehicles stalled due to no fuel. That is actually criminal negilgence, and the driver/owner should be charged for Sec 283 IPC and asked to appear at the magistrate's court. That is going to be an eye-opener for many.
Old 29th May 2024, 20:18   #21757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
More than the flat tyre (which is not in one's control) the report also mentions vehicles stalled due to no fuel.
All very fine on paper. But if your good tyres are punctured on city roads with high traffic density, isn't the road maintenance at fault? For example on Ring road, my tyre hit a brick fallen from the median and lying about 3 feet on the carriageway. The tyre burst and I had to replace the tyre. No reply from BBMP or BTP to my mail or tweets.

And again good fuel pumps are a bit hard to find and often have a 'No diesel/ petrol' sign in front. Smaller bunks have so many stories of short selling or worse adulteration. But fuel I can agree is something that can be controlled to an extent except if caught in a huge traffic jam.

What about EVs which run out of juice while stuck in traffic?

I agree that it's in my best interest to carry a couple of spare tyres, a jerry can with fuel and portable generator (if driving an EV), but shouldn't the municipality keep the roads clean?
Old 29th May 2024, 23:18   #21758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
This is such a kick in the shins --> https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c.../110504969.cms

Seems like a generation of BBMP folks have earned enough from a single, incomplete flyover to happily retire.
I remember reading a new article about 7-8 months back (from the Hindu IIRC) with the tagline "BBMP is the number 1 enemy of Bangalore". The context may have been different but damn is that a tagline to be proud of.
Couldn't agree more on BBMP being the enemy number #1 of BLR, could add number #2, #3 and so on, but let that rest.

We have a standing bet in our family - if my toddlers will graduate first, or the flyover/metro will get built first. What immensely saddens me though is the government apathy to even the most imp business district in BLR, and sheer wastage of public money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I don't think that flyover will be dismantled. The article talks about an upcoming Metro there on the Inner Ring Road as if it were a done deal. But the fact is that the stretch doesn't seem to be on any of the planned Bangalore Metro Routes. When even the sanctioned, financed, and under-construction Metro routes look like they will complete only sometime in the 2030s, it's highly unlikely.

Ultimately, they will have to get some new contractor to finish the damn thing. At a very, very considerable additional cost to all of us, from our tax money, of course.
Scenario 1: the flyover continues to be built - I read somewhere that the tender has been terminated from old contractor and to be given to a new one. The new contractor will demolish (in all probability) what is built - otherwise he will be held liable for any fault that develops because of old work.

Scenario 2: Metro gets built - the flyover structure what has been built, will still be demolished, to accommodate metro pillars.

I see a bleak future for Koramangala folks for another 10 years min (willing to add folks in my betting pool as well). On a lighter note, here are some fun reviews posted by folks on google maps: https://maps.app.goo.gl/bxc3WQCQ6DSDeChXA

Please remember BLR is a place where officials put out a tweet celebrating that they finally completed an underpass construction (in Old airport road) in 7 years (yes, I'm not kidding).

Here's the tweet link: https://x.com/rk_misra/status/1608756638424653824

Here's the screenshot

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1.jpg

Last edited by LordSharan : 29th May 2024 at 23:19.
LordSharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 10:09   #21759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530
All very fine on paper. But if your good tyres are punctured on city roads with high traffic density, isn't the road maintenance at fault? For example on Ring road, my tyre hit a brick fallen from the median and lying about 3 feet on the carriageway. The tyre burst and I had to replace the tyre. No reply from BBMP or BTP to my mail or tweets.
Bangalore Traffic Police is mandated to ensure smooth flow of traffic. So if any vehicle causes obstruction they have the rights to use every provision in the law (MV Act & IPC or any other local laws). The wrong-doer will have 1000s of reasons/excuses, so if that is always given a pass then there is no law enforcement at all. Also road maintenance is not done by BTP. It has to be BBMP, state PWD or NHAI. So if complaints have to be made it has to be against such establishments. Even court cases can be filed, but these establishments can prove that reasonable precautions have been taken.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 21:16   #21760
BHPian

Every small rain it floods and causes huge traffic snarl as soon as one gets down from the EC flyover towards Hosur on NH. Also, now there is new metro station coming up in this area. This is NHAI itself constructing road over low lying lake area.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-ecnh.png

Last edited by DriverLess : 1st June 2024 at 21:20. Reason: grammar
DriverLess is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 07:35   #21761
BHPian

Folks, if possible avoid going to office today. Lot of inner roads blocked due to fallen trees and branches.
Some of the main signals not working.

It's already chaotic at 7 AM in HSR, BTM and JP Nagar.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd June 2024 at 18:09. Reason: Typos
m8002? is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 09:44   #21762
BHPian

Second that, the roads from Banashankari till Silk board had only 2 signals working, multiple tress down, but traffic was luckily not a lot (morning 7.30), but if it rains again it could get worse.
Old 3rd June 2024, 09:52   #21763
BHPian

I had the extreme privilege of going to the Bengaluru airport yesterday evening during the record torrential rain.

Had the quintessential Bengaluru experience which was missing from my kitty despite being in Bengaluru for years. That said, I don’t wish that even on my enemies.

Attaching the trip meter on reaching home.

Reminds me a joke:
Q. What is common between Delhi Airport and Bangalore Airport?
A. Both are not in Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_3635.jpeg  

ValarMorghulis is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 10:04   #21764
Team-BHP Support

Multiple trees in CBD fell but they were swiftly removed.

Meanwhile, here is Tata Power for you

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-2b26e9b3ca71442daeb23767bd8c68d5.jpg
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 10:07   #21765
BHPian

Had to visit a relative in Hosakerehalli yesterday from KR puram. As always took the metro and hence wasn't too worried about the rain forecast. Unfortunately by the time of return we got to know the metro operations were suspended between Indira Nagar and MG road due to a tree fall and hence decided to Uber it.

Probably the scariest ride have ever had in Bangalore and surprisingly it was the CBD areas which were worst hit. From near JC road until we hit Old airport road near Cambridge Layout the least water logged road still had atleast a few inches of water. Had to detour 4 times either due to excessive water or due to tree fall and finally took 2 hours for about 15 kms.

The east of the city was much better off. Both the CV Raman nagar and the Salem underpass were water free.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks