Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2024, 11:49   #21616
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I travel from Sarjapur Road to Marthahalli daily. i take the AET road or the infamous Panathur underpass. When 99% of people stick to their lanes we see cab guys and auto guys zooming past bypassing the lanes. Every time they create havoc at the entrance/exit of the junction where we have police manning the intersection. They tend to hold the people who respect the lane discipline and allow way to these lane jumpers to avoid further hold up. there is zero repercussion for these lawbreakers and gives such people to continue doing this. I am ok even if i have to wait for 5 more minutes where in these guys are asked to take a U-turn at the junction and send back and allocate a hefty fine. if the police do this for 1 week we will see a reduction in traffic buildup both at Panathur and AET junction,
arun_sharon is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:57   #21617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_sharon View Post
there is zero repercussion for these lawbreakers and gives such people to continue doing this.
This is the exact issue we face. The ordinary, law-following people are scared of the cops, those who break rules aren't. The government should really empower the cops to go after the auto guys, cab guys, all of us, everyone/anyone, irrespective of who they are, when traffic rules are broken, and we'll see things change in a year or two. A generation should grow up with a real fear of getting caught whenever someone breaks a traffic rule. It is the only way we will have a hope of managing the present and future traffic in the city.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 20:56   #21618
BHPian

I'm fed up of my commute. The 7 AM or the 11PM arbitrage is gone. Also there are no pockets of traffic jam. It's a complete traffic jam from Whitefield to Prestige Tech Park. No respite. And with each passing day the car next to you or the two wheeler next to you in traffic is getting closer and closer; and many of them moving at an angle to you. Many a time, the gap is a few mm between two mirrors. It's horrifying!

I'm fed up!
airguitar is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 20:58   #21619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
I'm fed up of my commute. The 7 AM or the 11PM arbitrage is gone. Also there are no pockets of traffic jam.--- It's horrifying!

I'm fed up!
I am sorry but that now is a proper rant!!
gtonsing is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 21:21   #21620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I'm fed up!
You think you're fed up now, wait until the return-to-office edicts from pretty much the entire IT belt take full effect!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 21:42   #21621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I am sorry but that now is a proper rant!!
Yes, a true rant. I can't handle the traffic anymore :'(.
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 22:16   #21622
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, a true rant. I can't handle the traffic anymore :'(.
Sorry I was in same position. But I couldn't have handle my life without income, as I had bills to pay, EMI to close the loans, son getting into college with no backup/second income. Between Work and traffic, I picked up work. Given a chance I would have moved out of Bangalore, though born and grownup in Namma Bengaluru.
This will decide what should be next step for you. Sorry to be honest.

Only thing I did which helped me to some extent is to change the job, which is near to a Metro station(<2km) and provide very decent office transport, and also fortunately my home is also within 2km from another metro station.

Last edited by ajmat : 20th February 2024 at 22:45.
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 05:01   #21623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_sharon View Post
I travel from Sarjapur Road to Marthahalli daily. i take the AET road or the infamous Panathur underpass. When 99% of people stick to their lanes we see cab guys and auto guys zooming past bypassing the lanes. Every time they create havoc at the entrance/exit of the junction where we have police manning the intersection. They tend to hold the people who respect the lane discipline and allow way to these lane jumpers to avoid further hold up. there is zero repercussion for these lawbreakers and gives such people to continue doing this. I am ok even if i have to wait for 5 more minutes where in these guys are asked to take a U-turn at the junction and send back and allocate a hefty fine. if the police do this for 1 week we will see a reduction in traffic buildup both at Panathur and AET junction,
I did this commute for 2-3 years and my stress levels were at its worst. I had the same rants and wishes then, for better traffic discipline and greater enforcement from the cops for the same segment of rule-breakers. I switched to the Carmelaram route and frequently got into tiffs with company buses who would break the lanes with impunity going down the wrong side of the road, else come down the side of the road and push you out of the way, thereby ensuring you ended up on the wrong side of the road. The railway crossing was frequently jammed only because cabs and buses came down the wrong way and then choked the crossing trying to push their way in.

Anyway, nothing changed and nothing was going to change the way I saw it, so I ended up moving cities and countries thereby ending my misery with this commute and stress.

Quote:
I'm fed up of my commute. The 7 AM or the 11PM arbitrage is gone. Also there are no pockets of traffic jam. It's a complete traffic jam from Whitefield to Prestige Tech Park. No respite. And with each passing day the car next to you or the two wheeler next to you in traffic is getting closer and closer; and many of them moving at an angle to you. Many a time, the gap is a few mm between two mirrors. It's horrifying!

I'm fed up!
The Metro has always been touted as the savior from this mess, so maybe some hope? A former colleague of mine moved homes to a complex close to our office. He just walked to work and back and on weekends it was easier to head out as traffic was lesser in these areas close the IT hub in Whitefield. He said it was the best decision he made.
benbsb29 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 11:56   #21624
BHPian

I do Mahadevpura to Prestige tech park every day. Go post noon and return around midnight.

Most of the days I face lower traffic at noon than midnight. The traffic police should work with SNC everyday when closing the main roads so that there is smoother movement of traffic in the service road. Currently SNC just comes out of nowhere and puts the barricade and it becomes a big mess with vehicles in all 3-4 lanes trying to squeeze into the service road. This can be made more structured with the lanes getting narrowed from may be 500m ahead of the closure.

On the days when Marathahalli bridge is closed, truck traffic must be stopped between 10 PM- 2 AM. All traffic on ORR and old airport road was standstill for 20 mins at 1 AM earlier this month because a container truck couldnt take the u turn easily at Thulasi theatre Junction.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 12:04   #21625
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/te...-12317211.html

Why Wednesdays and Thursdays are the most congested in Bengaluru
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 12:14   #21626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm fed up of my commute. The 7 AM or the 11PM arbitrage is gone. Also there are no pockets of traffic jam. It's a complete traffic jam from Whitefield to Prestige Tech Park. No respite.
I did the commute to Bellandur/ORR for 3 years. Quit my job of 10+ years (and where I was doing really well) to get a remote job. I would have taken an in-office job near a Metro station too. I took a 25% pay cut to make the move. the commute was already horrible, I was aiming to get out of that area before the Metro work started and made things even worse for the next 5-7 years.

Over 2 years later, I can say it was the best decision I made. The commute was affecting my physical and mental health. I've been in MUCH better shape since I stopped having to go to that accursed part of town. I wish I had left earlier.

Last edited by am1m : 21st February 2024 at 12:17.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 19:32   #21627
Senior - BHPian

Friends from Bangaore. I've been facing the brunt of traffic on AET Jn for the pastd few days, and I can empathise with your rants.

I'm currently visiting Bangalore from Sunday and will be leaving for Hyderabad in a couple of days. I am with my daughter in Doddakenelli area on Sarjapur Road.

I need inputs from you guys on what route I should take to Hyderabad if I start around 2 PM. on Friday. Should I take the traditional route via Marathalli, KR Puram and Hebbal, or do you suggest I take the Gunjur, Varthur, Hope Farm route and then merge with the new STRR after taking a left turn from OMR at Hoskote?

I do know that the route from Nandi Upachar to Hyderabad is common for either option above. But I'm not aware of the intensity of traffic at 2 PM on either route, hence I'll be grateful for your inputs.

Thanks.

Last edited by vnabhi : 21st February 2024 at 19:33.
Old 21st February 2024, 19:42   #21628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

I need inputs from you guys on what route I should take to Hyderabad if I start around 2 PM. on Friday. Should I take the traditional route via Marathalli, KR Puram and Hebbal, or do you suggest I take the Gunjur, Varthur, Hope Farm route and then merge with the new STRR after taking a left turn from OMR at Hoskote?
At 2pm, take the regular Marathahalli route. This the only time window where ORR will be fairly free flowing. Don't go anywhere near Varthur post 2pm. There are 20-30 schools in the area and 100s of school buses will hit Varthur road post 2pm.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 20:59   #21629
HTC
BHPian

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hin...72017-amp.html

When the CM itself is making such statements, you know where the priorities are. Rules and fines are only for rich ( read as tax payers). Rest of vote bank can park where ever they want, break what ever traffic rule they want, permanently keep their veggie and fruit push-carts on busy congested roads creating bottlenecks what not. Cips turn a blind eye all of these, at the same time use high end technology to catch and fine tax payers( like cameras from Japan, speed guns). Why can't they use tech to solve traffic problems?

I don't have any hope of seeing improvement of traffic situation in the near future.
HTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 09:33   #21630
BHPian

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...perts-9173732/

This is so typical BBMP. Take a somewhat ok road with smooth flowing traffic and totally screw it up for 5-6 years in the name of infrastructure development.
Barring the jam on Hebbal flyover, the movement of vehicles from till Mekhri Circle is mostly manageable. Seems this does not sit well with our lords.
Mekhri circle is already an underpass. Is the plan to dig even further and make a tunnel below that?
Airport runs are going to be even more painful (after the Mall of Asia fiasco)if this actually gets implemented. The end of the year deadline is obviously a joke cracked among the politicos, as they laugh their way to Switzerland while we mango people break our backs giving taxes to fund such idiotic monstrosities.
One thing I notice is how much is this tunnel construction getting coverage whereas progress and deadline adherence etc for the metro is quite less. Rather, metro is being defamed (albeit true) almost everyday owing to delays and infrastructure issues.

Last edited by ShreyG : 22nd February 2024 at 09:48.
ShreyG is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks