Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2024, 13:13   #21586
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Any safe/paid car parking near 17th cross Malleswaram?
Orion mall is the nearest paid parking I can think of. One can find some roadside spots in inner roads before the railway overbridge (coming via malleshwaram).
whitewing is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 15:37   #21587
BHPian

Perhaps a folding bicycle might make sense for those who wish to transition to a metro but hesitate due to last mile connectivity? Decathlon sells the BTwin Tilt 120 for Rs. 20,000 which seems perfect for this scenario.I'm waiting for the Pune metro to expand a bit more before I try this out myself here.

ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 21:07   #21588
BHPian

I live 2.5kms away from Deepanjalinagar Metro, 5kms from RV Road Metro. My office is close to Ecospace. So the yellow and then the blue line will make my life easier but wanted to just try out the link till KR Puram. The time consumed is higher, but it’s much more peaceful than riding a 2w, end-to-end AC away from dust and traffic pollution. The Metro feeder from KR Puram though very crowded, is right outside the station and costs 25Rs to Ecospace. The total cost was lower than my motorcycle 42Rs on metro + 25 on Volvo.

As an additional benefit, taking an easy 25min walk in the evening will have its own benefit.

Last edited by ampere : 27th February 2024 at 23:29. Reason: Multiple minor typo and spelling corrections
vishchan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th February 2024, 23:29   #21589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
My Alcazar had an accident last week and the car is in the service station for getting fixed.
In the meantime, I tried using the metro for office commute. And it has been an exceedingly positive experience.
I feel like your cost can be brought down anyways by using BMTC to Majestic directly. I believe the 365 Series buses do go there.
Old 10th February 2024, 07:21   #21590
BHPian

Here we go again!! Right turn on Marathahalli bridge to be closed from today

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...galuru-2888838

Quote:
Police have prohibited right turns on the KLM Fashion Mall service road on the Outer Ring Road in Marathahalli for all types of vehicles going towards Kundalahalli.

They have instead been directed to take a left at the Marathahalli bridge to join the HAL Old Airport Road and take a U-turn at the Tulasi junction to go towards Varthur Kodi and Kundalahalli.
Old 10th February 2024, 07:57   #21591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115 View Post
Here we go again!! Right turn on Marathahalli bridge to be closed from today

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...galuru-2888838
They have reverted to the old method. Not sure when this will be resolved. This is a big traffic jam point. A flyover from the KLM mall point towards right, crossing purva riviera and connecting with the Varthur road may make sense, but the lack of space makes this seemingly impossible.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 11:37   #21592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
They have reverted to the old method. Not sure when this will be resolved.
What I don't understand is why vehicles, especially heavy ones, who want to go on ORR to KR puram take the u turn at thulasi junction when it is much easier to proceed further and go via Doddanekundi village and join either at isro junction or even further near the new Google office.

I understand police cannot segregate people who want to go towards Kundalahalli vs KR Puram but some basic road sense amongst drivers would help decongesting this significantly.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 08:23   #21593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
I feel like your cost can be brought down anyways by using BMTC to Majestic directly. I believe the 365 Series buses do go there.
For me, the cost of travel was the last priority for considering metro. And I wouldnt recommend anyone to take a bus from Bannerghatta road to Majestic. Convenience and comfort over cost at all times. I mentioned the total cost in my original post to give a cost-comparison vs personal car. In my case, I spend about INR 500 per day on my car (fuel) and this came to about INR 400 on the metro (including auto charges of about INR 280).

The reason I tried out metro is because of its predictability of run time and arrival time. With BMTC it is impossible to know when the bus would arrive and where it would stop. And you also add the pollution on top of it.

I got my car back from service on Thursday evening and I am back on the road in my car since Friday. Will probably take the metro once a while (once a month maybe), but regular metro use will have to wait for the Pink line.
Old 12th February 2024, 09:02   #21594
BHPian

Quote:
The reason I tried out metro is because of its predictability of run time and arrival time.

And you also add the pollution on top of it.

I got my car back from service on Thursday evening and I am back on the road in my car since Friday.
Curious to know why because that’ll explain why we still have so many cars on the road.

In your earlier post, you said that the travel by metro was predictable, convenient (except for the onward leg from Majestic to Byp where it is standing) and costs lesser than taking your car out. You had a first hand experience that was better than driving in every single way.

So what led you to go back that contradicts your own reasoning in the quote for not taking the BMTC - (1) unpredictable and (2) more polluting (in fact your car will pollute more than the bus when considered per capita basis).

Not trying to put you on a spot or being negative here. Genuinely curious to understand as it’ll give an insight on why many people still don’t take the metro.
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 09:10   #21595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Curious to know why because that’ll explain why we still have so many cars on the road.

In your earlier post, you said that the travel by metro was predictable, convenient (except for the onward leg from Majestic to Byp where it is standing) and costs lesser than taking your car out. You had a first hand experience that was better than driving in every single way.

So what led you to go back that contradicts your own reasoning in the quote for not taking the BMTC - (1) unpredictable and (2) more polluting (in fact your car will pollute more than the bus when considered per capita basis).

Not trying to put you on a spot or being negative here. Genuinely curious to understand as it’ll give an insight on why many people still don’t take the metro.
All valid questions. But I am a simple selfish guy. Looking for comfort in my day-to-day life. The current state of BMTC is not what I would ever use. If it was way less crowded, way better predictable, may be I will consider.

When I said 'pollution', to be very frank - it does not affect me in my car as much as it would if I travelled by a bus. I may sound like a hypocrite, but cant help it.

If you are from Bangalore, you already know the traffic conditions and the dust pollution levels. I suffer from asthma and keep an inhaler at all times. BMTC would be a horrible day-day affair for me.

Once the pink line starts in a couple of years, it would be a couple of minutes from home to metro station. That would be great with added advantage of 1/4 cost of travel every day.
Naetik30 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 09:32   #21596
BHPian

Quote:
BMTC would be a horrible day-day affair for me.
To clarify I wasn’t asking why you wouldn’t take the BMTC. I agree it isn’t the best choice in its current state and the exposure to pollution is also bad.

My question was why didn't you continue your routine of “auto to metro and taking the metro” that you had when Alcazar was out. From your earlier post it seems this routine met all the other important criteria of predictability and convenience. Add to that cost was lower and also, I’m sure the mental stress of driving in Bangalore was avoided. Sure, the absolute comfort would be lesser but I’d trade that any day for better mental health.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 09:45   #21597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
To clarify I wasn’t asking why you wouldn’t take the BMTC. I agree it isn’t the best choice in its current state and the exposure to pollution is also bad.

My question was why didn't you continue your routine of “auto to metro and taking the metro” that you had when Alcazar was out. From your earlier post it seems this routine met all the other important criteria of predictability and convenience. Add to that cost was lower and also, I’m sure the mental stress of driving in Bangalore was avoided. Sure, the absolute comfort would be lesser but I’d trade that any day for better mental health.

Well you know. The car was back.

Getting back to point - Just reached office now. I did find it tedious to drive to office.
In fact I dozed off a few times when on the metro last week and that was an awesome 30 minutes on the way back. Never felt so relaxed. I am planning to use the metro atleast once a week. Will update this thread.

Full disclosure - on Thursday last week - Waited 20 minutes to get an auto at 6.30am. Ended up taking a cab instead and the cost did go up that day. But that was the only day it took longer. Every other time got an auto within 2-3 minutes, even at 6.30am.
Naetik30 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 10:21   #21598
Distinguished - BHPian

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../107611743.cms

Beware at Kodigehalli signal on Bellary Road.
Old 12th February 2024, 10:46   #21599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
They have reverted to the old method. Not sure when this will be resolved. This is a big traffic jam point. A flyover from the KLM mall point towards right, crossing purva riviera and connecting with the Varthur road may make sense, but the lack of space makes this seemingly impossible.
Erm, this should have been done when the new flyover was constructed. Up until 2004-05, the marathahalli fly over was not there in it's current form. It was a narrow road that frequently saw massive jams. This flyover eased it out ( many of us struggled for years on that stretch ) and the product was this. Shortsighted. Ditto with the stupid flyover at KR Puram, we waited years for it but it manages the intersections and exists in a poor way.

The only flyover in Bangalore that was worth the wait was the one at HAL road - IRR Intersection at Domlur : nicely done clover!

Last edited by airguitar : 12th February 2024 at 10:56.
Old 12th February 2024, 10:55   #21600
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
The only flyover in Bangalore that was worth the wait was the one at HAL road - IRR Intersection : nicely done clover!
But it had its fair share of issues and took 6 years to build! (I had to endure this for its entirety since my workplace was nearby and we were not fortunate to have work from home option those days). If I remember correctly, work was carried out by UP Bridge building corporation and was very slow, even stopped for a while in between.
The clover was only possible because of the minimal land acquisition involved with drains and parks on either side easily available

Last edited by NPV : 12th February 2024 at 10:56.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks