Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2024, 22:44   #21481
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Excellent. Such abuse of power by the police should be instantly challenged in the courts. The mall is not doing anything illegal. By that logic, why not close down all other businesses in the area as well as all of them are causing congestion. The police can decide to limit vehicular access to the entire area if needed but they can’t force a private business to close. Section 144 in any case is a draconian law and needs to be abolished.
Lobogris is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 23:22   #21482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Also it is really harsh on the people who have outlets there by renting out the space. They are charged high amounts of rents and imagine loosing out on all the customers. The footfalls are really high during new year.
Revvatron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 09:33   #21483

These are the common problems....
1. There is limited parking in the malls.
2. Parking charges are high.
3. Waiting time to get parking and get out is high.
4. Main road gets blocked as the queue to parking increases.
So...People tend to park wherever they want to access mall causing problem to others.

Same can be seen in other malls as well.. eg: Meenakshi mall
Old 2nd January 2024, 11:43   #21484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by URWELCOME View Post
So...People tend to park wherever they want to access mall causing problem to others.

Answer to that is avoid those malls, or take a cab, closing down a mall is not an answer. People are equally to blame, they are thronging the mall as if it is some new public attraction, I have not been there nor do I plan to, it's eventually the same brands. If you can't find parking you should come home and not park where you want, the culture itself is wrong. While BTP is in the wrong, people should also show some common sense, which severely lacks in our country on a whole. Like I know it will be crazy busy in malls on weekends, and even more so on christmas and new year eve, so I will never head out to these malls. I also prefer taking metro now when to go to phoenix market city, it is just so much easier. Take cab to nearest station and sit happily and reach the place. Mall of Asia for now does not have that option, so people should vote by not going there, rather then creating such ruckus and mess.

Seems the new normal in our country is ban on anything to everything.

Last edited by AtheK : 2nd January 2024 at 11:51.
AtheK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 11:47   #21485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by URWELCOME View Post

Looks like this is a problem across all scenarios, recently during Vaikunta Ekadashi, there is a temple which is close by and there is no parking per se. Since it is a residential area people park on the roads usually(The roads in my area are pretty wide on comparative standards). This year guess people went nuts they started parking haphazardly right in front of entry and exit of houses, some cars rear protruding out and some front, two wheelers in all possible formations. The resultant was a big traffic mess.

More than pinning blame on authorities I guess we as drivers should reflect on ourselves are we driving properly instead of taking the holier than thou approach
puntra800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 12:28   #21486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan
Mall of Asia is a private entity. The police cannot simply order the closure of a private entity because they are incapable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch
The traffic department is simply washing their hands by blaming a private entity for the mess and asking them to close. The local administration is at fault at here. If the plans are approved by local bodies, the private entity is not at fault at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris
The police can decide to limit vehicular access to the entire area if needed but they can’t force a private business to close. Section 144 in any case is a draconian law and needs to be abolished.
First and foremost, a mall cannot be a private entity. If there is access to general public, it becomes a public entity under private management. A private party may be owning it, but they don't have the absolute rights to do what they please. There are case laws under MV Act and COTP Act where "public place" has been defined like ""public place" means any place to which the public have access, whether as of right or not, and includes auditorium, hospital buildings, railway waiting...". Andhra Pradesh High Court had also defined public place as one "under the Act that it includes any place which is used by the members of the public to which they have the right to access. The court also stated that the right to access can be limited, regulated, or permissive by oral or written formation by any sort of ticket, passes or, batches or any payment of fees".

Also Criminal Procedure Code (Cr.PC) has a whole chapter dedicated to "MAINTENANCE OF PUBLIC ORDER AND TRANQUILLITY". Sec 144 Cr.PC is to forewarn any one from doing any activity which is nuisance or there is apprehended danger (when doing the same). Blocking traffic etc is a public nuisance. Generally Cr.PC 144 notices are sent by District Collectors/District Magistrates. But in Bangalore City, the police commissioner (and few officers below him) are executive magistrates who are empowered to give such orders. Even the new law replacing Cr.PC has similar provisions, as these are the only a few of the ways where people/entitities can be forced to behave themselves .

It is because of the above reason that the court did not quash the order, but only said further actions should not be taken based on that order. And that is why the mall management also came to the negotiation table. There are n number of laws & rules which if the police actually start enforcing, it will cause more damage to the mall (than what this Sec 144 Cr.PC notice could have done).

The mall management can negotiate using what @sunilch mentioned. That is the approvals given by local administration. I need to check if building such huge buildings require approval from police authorities. I am sure that Fire & Rescue authority approval is required. There are all building bye-laws which talks about parking facility, set back area, toilets etc. etc. If all this was approved, then the mall management can use that as an excuse. But if violations are found, then they will have to face the music.

There is no point in targetting the Bangalore City Police, or show the general frusturation against the police. They are here to perform the role, which they are empowered by rule to do so.
sachinpk is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 13:07   #21487
BHPian

I concur that Police did what they were required to do to address the issue. The problem is there is no rule that BTP's permission is needed for such buildings. Generally for some buildings they are requested for permission but is not mandatory.

BBMP or any such authority is to blame and its high time they consider building approvals holistically to include traffic, parking and impact to public order as requirements.
PreludeSH is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 00:35   #21488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntra800 View Post
This year guess people went nuts they started parking haphazardly right in front of entry and exit of houses, some cars rear protruding out and some front, two wheelers in all possible formations. The resultant was a big traffic mess.
Most new drivers that I see are absolutely horrible at parking, especially kerbside parking. Most of them go nose-in instead of ass-in and therefore the car is not as close as it can be to the kerb and/or has some part if the car hanging out.

The fact that a car is much more manoeuvrable when it is reversed into a spot is sadly lost on them. I don’t think anyone has bothered to learn this before getting themselves a fancy driving licence and buying LARGE “SUV” as their first car. They park as if they own the entire place and have this inconsiderate attitude towards others.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 3rd January 2024 at 00:37.
krishnakumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 10:54   #21489
Distinguished - BHPian

Complete fiasco w.r.t. Mall of Asia. Don’t know what the resolution is going to be.

Catching an evening flight just got even more dicey.

Bengaluru's Phoenix Mall of Asia back in business, accountability under spotlight
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/te...90771.html/amp

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd January 2024 at 11:02.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 11:20   #21490
BHPian

Is the STRR between Hoskote and Devanahalli operational now ? What will be the best route to Nandi Cross from Hoskote?
Old 3rd January 2024, 11:35   #21491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar
Most new drivers that I see are absolutely horrible at parking, especially kerbside parking.
I don't think 'parallel parking' which is a mandatory lesson (which is tested as well) in foreign countries are taught in India or tested. To be frank; I myself started learning this and can do it pretty okay in the last 5-6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme
Complete fiasco w.r.t. Mall of Asia. Don’t know what the resolution is going to be.
. The traffic police in Bangalore are victims just like the road users. They really have no say in any approvals of buildings, roads etc. I am waiting for a day when there is a major political event where there is lot of politician movement between Air Port and the city, for a few days. Or some senior judicial officer getting stuck here would also change the situation.
sachinpk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 12:47   #21492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I am waiting for a day when there is a major political event where there is lot of politician movement between Air Port and the city, for a few days. Or some senior judicial officer getting stuck here would also change the situation.
I believe that is exactly what happened on those fateful times , hence so much alacrity u/s 144 etc. etc. For once, mango people and babus were stuck in the same mess.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 15:15   #21493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Is the STRR between Hoskote and Devanahalli operational now ? What will be the best route to Nandi Cross from Hoskote?
Yes it is operational, took it from old madras road on my way to Hyderabad last week.

Use gmaps which will have you turn left shortly after the first toll from hoskote side and follow directions thereafter.
hothatchaway is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 11:20   #21494
BHPian

Yesterday was returning from Tirupati and took the ring road to reach BEL circle from KR Puram this was around 3 30 PM , the traffic choke points from KR Puram to Hebbal is understandable due to the ongoing Metro construction but what I noticed at Hebbal was amusing the cars turning into Bellary road from both the directions of ring road were blocked and took a small glance of the road which leads to the bellary road from BEL circle side and I could see a big jam almost till the end of flyover downramp.

If this is due to Mall of Asia then its high time something has to be done, Hebbal junction is as notorious as Gorguntepalya junction and we just should not be adding more fuel to the fire.
Old 8th January 2024, 12:14   #21495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntra800 View Post
Yesterday was returning from Tirupati and took the ring road to reach BEL circle from KR Puram this was around 3 30 PM , the traffic choke points from KR Puram to Hebbal is understandable due to the ongoing Metro construction but what I noticed at Hebbal was amusing the cars turning into Bellary road from both the directions of ring road were blocked and took a small glance of the road which leads to the bellary road from BEL circle side and I could see a big jam almost till the end of flyover downramp.

If this is due to Mall of Asia then its high time something has to be done, Hebbal junction is as notorious as Gorguntepalya junction and we just should not be adding more fuel to the fire.
Mall of Asia continues to be shut until Jan 15, if I am not mistaken.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks