Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2023, 12:11   #21406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Also, earlier we would hear of water logging only the ORR-Ecospace-Varthur-Sarjapur Road belt. In the recent rains, hearing of major water logging even with small rains in other parts of Bangalore.
It will be interesting to know which the other parts of Bangalore as well? From what I read in news papers the new flood prone area is Hebbal. Again the IT parks in the area were recent additions (i.e it all came up during the IT boom in 2000). Even as late as 1997 Hebbal, Jakkur, Yelahanka etc were like outliers of Bangalore, and there were wide spaces all around. Rain water had lots of places to go.

All said and done, I am yet to hear any news of floodings in the "old Bangalore" areas such as Malleshwaram, Basavanagudi, Jayanagar, Sadashiva Nagar etc. Looks like these areas were all developed considering topography of the city. Even Electronics City seems to be developed in an area which does not get flooded.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 12:35   #21407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Even Electronics City seems to be developed in an area which does not get flooded.
A big contributor is its elevation. If you see the topography map, EC is higher and that helps the water flow down to nearby lakes etc.

In general EC is much better planned than rest of the newer areas like ORR IMO. Even during torrential rains of 2017 or last year, never saw any roads being blocked. Potholes too get filled up pretty soon as it’s generally monitored by the security jeep I guess which keeps plying 24/7 across EC1 & 2. Heck even the bus stops now I see have snack vending machines, they have proper footpaths, lots of trees, BETL flyover makes reaching Silk board fast & easy, metro is almost complete and bus connectivity too is superb.

Just wish we had some good IT firms there. Sadly other than Infy, TechM & HCL(a bit far in jigani), nothing else in this side of the city which seems way better developed than ORR(the hotspot for IT firms)

Apologies for the rant.

Last edited by SoumenD : 10th November 2023 at 12:37.
SoumenD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 13:00   #21408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
In general EC is much better planned than rest of the newer areas like ORR IMO.
Because it was always meant to house companies and so was better planned.

Unlike the ORR which is a standing testimony to builders' greed and government corruption. Give land in large quantities to builders, who lease that out to "respected" IT companies, whether or not the infrastructure there can handle that kind of load. But builders make money, IT companies make money, employees make money, landlords make money. No one is going to complain.

Once in a while flooding happens. New buildings with 5000 more employees (and cars) get added. The commute gets longer by 20 minutes every year. But it's all good. Work 70 hours a week, that too from the office, otherwise the nation will fall. (Maybe really what will happen is the builders will no longer make that much money and will not have surplus to prop up the government for the next election!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Just wish we had some good IT firms there....than ORR(the hotspot for IT firms)
Careful what you wish for!
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 13:10   #21409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

All said and done, I am yet to hear any news of floodings in the "old Bangalore" areas such as Malleshwaram, Basavanagudi, Jayanagar, Sadashiva Nagar etc. .
Yes, thats also because these areas have biga** drains which are built to maybe 100 times its average capacity. I have never seen these drains fill up to more than 50 percent capacity even during the heaviest rains. I havent seen a single drain like this in the newer areas. The larger SWDs are always present in low lying areas and they finally drain into the Vrishabhavati Basin. The only time I have seen a feet of water in my road is when someone plugged the drain hole of the SWD with garbage and thats it. Otherwise, come whatever rain, I have never seen a road with standing water in it in Jayanagar, Banashankari or Basavanagudi. There is an area called CK Achhukattu and thats a former lake. This has the main SWD that drains the whole of the surrounding areas and even this area does not get flooded.

Thats the main difference between planned areas and unplanned areas. I think in the south the only area which had a bad time with flooding was the Nayandahalli region where the Vrishabhavati river had overflown a few years ago.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 17:16   #21410
BHPian

Have moved to Bangalore from Hyderabad last year and recently moved to HSR . Surprised to notice BBMP doesnot act on locations which are prone for regular flooding even for 15-20min showers . Crossing Ejipura signal on either side is pain and same is the case at Agara lake signal towards HSR . Civic body is very lax here .
Old 10th November 2023, 17:31   #21411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It will be interesting to know which the other parts of Bangalore as well?

All said and done, I am yet to hear any news of floodings in the "old Bangalore" areas such as Malleshwaram, Basavanagudi, Jayanagar, Sadashiva Nagar etc. Looks like these areas were all developed considering topography of the city. Even Electronics City seems to be developed in an area which does not get flooded.
Yes, was not referring to older areas of Bangalore. Was more referring to the newer areas where waterlogging was not heard off much. Some areas I read include Yelahankha, the areas between KR Puram and Hebbal, and some core city areas. When I said flooding, it was more water logging happening on the roads- not full on flooding.

One reason seems to be that newer constructions that happen continue to block natural water flows. One example is Varthur- Where I have read that a massive new residential complex is now causing waterlogging in the varthur town area.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 19:15   #21412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
The KRPuram underpass that connects to ITPL Main Road (near Whitefield Honda), has been barricaded for 4-wheelers; allowing only exit onto ITPL Main Road and preventing entry from ITPL Main Road to KRPuram.

While I agree that the underpass Entry and Exit was causing bottleneck on the ITPL main road, blocking Entry from ITPL main road is counter-productive and negates the need of the underpass!
OMG the entire stretch from that underpass to the damn train station was clogged because motorists were sneaking through a 1 inch gap between the median. There was a cop in duty who was nothing but a mute spectator to all the drama. I really wanted to get off and give him a piece of my mind and then blast all the motorists behind me for creating an unnecessary jam.

India is behind most countries because of inefficiency in everything we do. And the first in that list is our traffic and our traffic etiquette!
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 15:36   #21413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
OMG the entire stretch from that underpass to the damn train station was clogged because motorists were sneaking through a 1 inch gap between the median. There was a cop in duty who was nothing but a mute spectator to all the drama. I really wanted to get off and give him a piece of my mind and then blast all the motorists behind me for creating an unnecessary jam.

India is behind most countries because of inefficiency in everything we do. And the first in that list is our traffic and our traffic etiquette!
The whole lot from KRPuram and nearby areas, who were using this underpass, now have to go through the Tin Factory junction. This easily adds another 20-30 min and as expected cascading blocks everywhere.

Looks like the Govt is trying hard to justify the congestion tax!
Old 14th November 2023, 13:33   #21414
BHPian

Recently commuted a few times on Airport Road doing airport runs for friends and family. If its early morning , no doubt there are loads of bikers going towards Nandi hills. The really professional and serious bikers with large and beautiful bikes (usually 350CC and above) thunder along keeping in the leftmost lane and following lane discipline very well. Its However of late there is a clutch of nouveau bikers who have light bikes (usually less than 250 cc) and mostly Aprilia two wheelers riding very very unsafely in all 3 lanes and darting in and out of lanes. This is endangering their lives and the other road users. Usually these people ride triple seat or more , don't wear helmets and will go staring inside cars and at couples on two wheelers. There is for sure an absolute lack for lane discipline or minimum driving etiquette.They might even try other stunts. Their numbers are drastically on the rise on long weekend mornings / public holidays.

The absolute lack of patrolling from traffic police and in general any lack of law enforcement is emboldening these people. I wonder if such people are seen on other highways which go out of Bangalore.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 14:45   #21415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post

The absolute lack of patrolling from traffic police and in general any lack of law enforcement is emboldening these people. I wonder if such people are seen on other highways which go out of Bangalore.
Yes the patrolling has been non-existing on the elevated/access controlled road from Hebbal to Airport. The slow moving goods vehicles occupy the right most lane. Earlier there were couple of places where there were speed limits being checked, but there has been nothing for a while.
Old 15th November 2023, 11:25   #21416
Distinguished - BHPian

Infra works could limp as BDA has just Rs 40 crore in bank

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...n-bank-2767834

Seems BDA has only 40 crores cash in it's accounts. Kiss bye bye to WIP/upcoming infrastructure works.

Even that contractor was caught with more cash at 42 crores!

Last edited by itwasntme : 15th November 2023 at 11:52.
Old 15th November 2023, 11:55   #21417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
In a recent such incident, a biker brushed against the car ( door and mirror ) and went ahead without even stopping/acknowledging. I yelled out an expletive hoping that will hurt his ego, but no. He just rode away without even engaging!

Disgusting.

I'd strongly STRONGLY advise you not to do this. Not for any moral or ethical reason. My blood boils the same and even worse thoughts come that may not be appropriate to be said out loud.

But the culture of road users in Bangalore have gone so bad and dangerous that these guys can turn up and do anything to you. I went through such an incident and it was NOT worth it. Not one bit.

In that case, I did not even say any expletive. Just said "Aayy" and that was enough for that jobless hooligan. Won't go into details as it is something I do not want to be recounted.

I'll borrow a line I read somewhere, "on the roads, be like a cow, oblivious to everything and just heading your way".

I turn myself into a John Wick in my imagination, for my own peace and venting out that frustration. But I refrain from even showing my hand (yes, even that is enough for these #expletive).
krishnakumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 14:17   #21418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Usually these people ride triple seat or more , don't wear helmets and will go staring inside cars and at couples on two wheelers. There is for sure an absolute lack for lane discipline or minimum driving etiquette.
This would also perfectly fit the profile of the 'wheelie gangs', who also operate in that area. Earlier their show was in the old Air port road, and that stopped after one of the stunt boys entered a wrong place when chased by the police. He ran into the quarters of a top army official, and was promptly shot by the sentry. His pals took him to the hospital and ran away after seeing he got a gun shot wound.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 19:15   #21419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This would also perfectly fit the profile of the 'wheelie gangs', who also operate in that area. .
I have seen a number of these triples and quadruples riders and wheelie artists on the quiet residential streets and main roads of HSR, the Electronic City Elevated Tollway, the new Airport Road and all. They seem to operate with impunity and apologies for stereotyping here but they mostly look like these ‘ bike workshop, tinker/ paint shop or bike accessory shop’ staff. For the most part the bored traffic cops will be peering at their mobiles instead of taking these characters to task.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 10:26   #21420
BHPian

Quote:
This would also perfectly fit the profile of the 'wheelie gangs', who also operate in that area. Earlier their show was in the old Air port road, and that stopped after one of the stunt boys entered a wrong place when chased by the police. He ran into the quarters of a top army official, and was promptly shot by the sentry. His pals took him to the hospital and ran away after seeing he got a gun shot wound.
Oh I didn't know this has suddenly stopped there. Sometimes a rare occurence happens and I do see a wheelie doer on Suranjandas Road where there are usually no cops. Actually of late cops are not seen manning signals or doing random spot checks. So lots of wrong side riding vehicles (size is irrelevant) get away as do these two wheeler riders with 3-4 people riding on poor two seater moped.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks