Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2023, 09:53   #21316
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I find it hard to believe that any company that truly cares about the health of their employees would want to subject them to this ordeal everyday.
Totally agree with your points. Why would any company want to lease space in such a badly designed park is something I wonder (in fact all the residents of Adarsh which is within Ecoworld do too). The worst part is that they took over 2 years (started during pandemic) to even finish the underpass that is in the picture, it is hard to imagine how long will they take for the other 2 planned (one has started already at Bay junction). To add to the mess, they keep coming up with changes to the finished work and further dig the roads and completed works again and again. Looks like there was no proper thought given the design nor a study of traffic flow done properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This is one of the most horrible infra upgrade that has been done and considering we have seen a lot of such things, it is a fairly low bar. The fact that a private entity did it is even more surprising.

The real reason for the mess is that fact that a private entity did it which has no experience with road works and traffic flow study. Even this small underpass took close to 3 years which is enough for BBMP to build much larger ones.
nareshtrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 09:54   #21317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dunno why everyone was expecting the private entity to execute a project like this better than the government. I mean it's not like road works are their USP, they are a real estate management firm.
It’s not like the CEO of Eco world has to come and dig the road. It surely would/could have outsourced to a construction firm having experience in road design.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 09:57   #21318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
It’s not like the CEO of Eco world has to come and dig the road. It surely would/could have outsourced to a construction firm having experience in road design.
If that is a fact, it does not show. The completed underpass has been dug at least 3 times in the last month to lay drainage, wires and what not. The completed side-walks have been dug umpteen times in the last few months. The turns and lanes are designed with no understanding of traffic flow as others too pointed out. And now the water logging. The lack of experience clearly shows.
nareshtrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 09:59   #21319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Absolutely, but then that's what the government does too right, outsource to a firm with experience? My point was just that private entities don't necessarily do everything better, though that's a belief most of us have.

And my main point was that nothing really will solve the traffic problem in that area, except the Metro. And even then it will solve the issue for those who choose to use it, the jams will continue for those using vehicles.

Last edited by am1m : 10th October 2023 at 10:02.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 10:40   #21320
BHPian

Quote:
'Eco'World again! Was just going to ask if the new underpasses had helped solve the entry/exit issue. Guess not.

Dunno why everyone was expecting the private entity to execute a project like this better than the government. I mean it's not like road works are their USP, they are a real estate management firm. Anyway, the entire tech park itself is terribly designed, nothing can be done really. I find it hard to believe that any company that truly cares about the health of their employees would want to subject them to this ordeal everyday. Man, I don't miss this place at all! (commuted there for 3 years, pre-covid).
What is needed is grade separators (either tunnel or flyover (though flyover now ruled out due to Metro construction)) not inside the tech park, but rather at the place where EcoWorld meets the ORR. Similar to what was done at Manyata. This needs to be the template for all high-footfall commercial establishments (tech parks, malls, etc) along major arterial roads like the ORR, viz.: The commercial establishment must build an elevated/tunnel road for vehicles to enter or exit it from the ORR.
vharihar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 15:52   #21321
BHPian

Re: Bangalore roads flooded again! This time Silkboard

This is the resultant effect of Zilch co-ordination of various departments + Bad design + general public apathy to exercise their right to elect a good legislator + lack of auditing on the work done.
puntra800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 17:09   #21322
Senior - BHPian

I thought someone reposted on a 2008 old thread, well, no!

Ps- Silk board is a confluence of a 30 foot wide, 15 foot wide gutters/storm water drains, and still the same repeat every year or two.
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 18:42   #21323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I thought someone reposted on a 2008 old thread, well, no!
For a moment I did so too.

I was one of those who were victims of the 2007-8 flooding. It had taken us good 5 hours to reach office in Electronic City from Majestic. The return was no better and I had managed to reach home well past midnight despite leaving office at 6 PM! Thankfully, the salary that we earned only allowed us the luxury of Office buses back then!
Old 12th October 2023, 10:42   #21324
BHPian

Is the nail-puncture wala mafia back on the ORR in Bangalore?

Had another puncture on my rear tyre today morning. The in built TPMS is a real savior - you dont know what you are missing until you start using it.

The warning came up just as I was crossing Graphite India junction. Drive directly to a puncture shop and sure enough there was a stell screw sticking out of the tyre. Had I driven directly to office, would have been a pain to get it fixed in the evening.

On another note - with all the talk of congestion tax, road tax and what not.
I seriously think Bangalore, Govt of Karnataka and BBMP is seriously missing a trick by not levying off-road tax. This should be atleast double the road tax for each car.

People are paying 100s of rupees to drive on off road tracks of 200 m in places like Play arena in Sarjapur road. But there are 100s of kms of off road tracks in Bangalore. Everyone should be made to pay the off road tax, instead of letting people enjoy this for free.
Naetik30 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 11:07   #21325
BHPian

I had to drive to Bengaluru day before (10/10/23) due to a death in the family. From before electronic city toll to Vidyaranyapura via ORR, it took a flat 2 hours! It was raining and there was a lot of water pouring down from the bridge above on to the vehicles and people below. I wonder how two wheeler riders and pedestrians manage. It was so disturbing when inside a car!.
On returning yesterday, I left early at 4:45 am, drove via city and reached Electronic city at 5:25.Forty minutes flat! I always enter and exit the city in the wee hours, so the couple of times I got stuck, it was bad timing.
Cheers
Rajeevsulu
Old 12th October 2023, 13:36   #21326
Senior - BHPian

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...-roads-2719462

Quote:
Metro operations had a positive impact[...] drastic reduction in congestion during the morning rush hours, especially between Benniganahalli and Whitefield, at Hoodi Junction and outside the Baiyappanahalli metro station.
Very heartening news. Hopefully this will sustain.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 23:19   #21327
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow I am noticing these private illegal mini buses in Kundalahalli Whitefield areas running just empty. I noticed at least four different buses with hardly people in them and most of them had driver and the conductor. Is this something else or are they really hit by the free bus and metro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...-roads-2719462

Very heartening news. Hopefully this will sustain.
I wouldn't agree with this observation made by the newspaper. Monday saw lighter traffic based on my commute experience and people hardly knew about the inauguration of the metro. After the gridlock two weeks ago, traffic density on ORR has seen a downtrend. Moreover, the metro isn't yet fully popularised even as of today. Even at KR Puram station when my friend boarded the metro it still had plenty of empty seats at 630PM while ideally it should have been crowded if there was already high patronage.

We will know the actual results in the days to come. Even today morning, there was a huge traffic jam at Hoodi and until Graphite India. The only stretch that will see visible improvement is Tin factory to Hoodi which would be crowded by commuters reaching whitefield from various parts of Bangalore.

Last edited by audioholic : 12th October 2023 at 23:26.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 09:12   #21328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I wouldn't agree with this observation made by the newspaper....
We will know the actual results in the days to come.
Ditto.

I really don't think any Metro system will 'solve' traffic jams. That is a misconception IMHO. Whatever cars go off the roads because of the Metro, new drivers will take their place. Usually, it's the people using the bus on those routes that make the switch. Traffic jams will continue. I think those expecting clear roads because of the Metro (so they can use their cars! ) are going to be disappointed long-term. And then the media will say the "Metro has had no effect". It does work though, but only for those who choose to use it!
am1m is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 10:28   #21329
BHPian

I think Metro will solve driving issues only for the people who use it !
With 1.2 crore vehicles on road that is increasing by thousands every day, we need lot of routes of metro.

Also, not everyone takes metro in the morning and spends time at office and leaves in the evening. Lot of people keep travelling or different people keep travelling at different times all the time. At least people in IT should start using when present routes are done and since they post here, we should see less rants
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 10:57   #21330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
I think Metro will solve driving issues only for the people who use it !
With 1.2 crore vehicles on road that is increasing by thousands every day, we need lot of routes of metro.

Also, not everyone takes metro in the morning and spends time at office and leaves in the evening. Lot of people keep travelling or different people keep travelling at different times all the time. At least people in IT should start using when present routes are done and since they post here, we should see less rants
Totally agree with the above post, taking an example of someone staying BSK 6th stage , both the green and purple lines are a good 6km away based on where they are staying in BSK 6th stage, if some one has to travel say to Jnanabharati from there since they have already travelled 6km, logical thinking would be to travel that extra 3 or 4 km by car/bike instead of taking the hassle of finding a parking etc. BSK 6th stage has very bad BMTC bus services as of now.

Unless our public transport network and frequency is improved I guess we will never get out of this loop of ranting on Bangalore traffic. Once this issue is fixed next step would be to make the driving tests very stringent and increase the fines for traffic violations(We are the same people who follow rules to the tee abroad because the fines are good 30% of the salary in some cases)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks