Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 21:13   #2116
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Already have a thread dedicated to Bangalore cops.
Pictorial
ooh nice! i'll see if i can add to your collection

MODS: if you can, please move my earlier post to Benny's thread. pretty please
Old 17th February 2011, 09:38   #2117
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

It was a horrible mess near my place today morning. I stay in one of the "main" roads in GM Palya and have to go towards Marathalli via Vignan Nagar to reach office. Today, I was trying to take a turn from my road to the main road and nobody was ready to allow me. I had my indicator on and nobody seemed to bother. I showed my hand to one fellow driving a Logan and asked him to let me pass. He obliged but not without showing his displeasure. And soon, I found myself stuck in the middle of a deadlock. I think the picture below will give you an idea.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-untitled.jpg

For some reason, the Logan guy lowered his mirror and started accusing me of causing the jam. I told him that I can't wait forever to take a turn and even I had to go to work. He just raised his window and kept quiet. Somehow the jam cleared and the vehicles started moving. One old uncle in his Vista on the opposite side kept staring at me, muttering something, as if I was the culprit here.

Now, I wanted to know from you guys is, whether I am really at wrong here? I had used the indicators and I had been patient enough to wait (atleast 5 mins) before using my hand signal to force someone to stop. As you can see from the picture, this stretch is poorly planned and these kind of chaotic situations are very common here. I am planning to take a different route and try to avoid this. Guys, let me know your thoughts on this incident.
Old 17th February 2011, 10:09   #2118
Senior - BHPian

Praz dont blame you here mate, GM Palya, Kaggdaspura & vignan nagar is a cramped area. tiny roads which connects the densely populated areas. every morning and evening its a mess out here!

even people who are on foot find it hard cause thier are no pavements....

the root cause, no planning at all, 10years back this areas were disliked by all and you could hardly find houses here but with IT picking up apartments/house sprouted like mushroom and today we are in a messy state!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post
It was a horrible mess near my place today morning. I stay in one of the "main" roads in GM Palya and have to go towards Marathalli via Vignan Nagar to reach office. Today, I was trying to take a turn from my road to the main road and nobody was ready to allow me. I had my indicator on and nobody seemed to bother. I showed my hand to one fellow driving a Logan and asked him to let me pass. He obliged but not without showing his displeasure. And soon, I found myself stuck in the middle of a deadlock. I think the picture below will give you an idea.

Attachment 503650

For some reason, the Logan guy lowered his mirror and started accusing me of causing the jam. I told him that I can't wait forever to take a turn and even I had to go to work. He just raised his window and kept quiet. Somehow the jam cleared and the vehicles started moving. One old uncle in his Vista on the opposite side kept staring at me, muttering something, as if I was the culprit here.

Now, I wanted to know from you guys is, whether I am really at wrong here? I had used the indicators and I had been patient enough to wait (atleast 5 mins) before using my hand signal to force someone to stop. As you can see from the picture, this stretch is poorly planned and these kind of chaotic situations are very common here. I am planning to take a different route and try to avoid this. Guys, let me know your thoughts on this incident.
Old 17th February 2011, 15:11   #2119
BHPian

Quote:

Why do you need to care?? . It comes as no surprise, just go through this thread, and you will find several stupid people going down the wrong side of the road, riding/driving without seatbelts, lane discipline, indicators, headlamps and what not. It is the same type of people, like the Logan and Vista guys who mutter at those innocent because of their stupidity. They are under the illusion that no matter who is at fault, they are always right, and the others are nuts.

BTW,
I think this belongs in this thread, but mods, if it belongs to the Accidents in India or some other thread, please shift the post.
In pg 4 of today's The Hindu, there are traffic accident stats in Bangalore for the last 3 years.
Here are the stats of those in 2010:
Vehicle type - 2010
BMTC buses: 101
Lorries: 156
Cars: 121
2 wheelers: 160
Tempo, vans 110
Maxi cabs 79
Old 17th February 2011, 15:56   #2120
Senior - BHPian

and then there is this other breed that thinks honking will immediately change the signal lights!! already people are irritated being in a traffic jam and to make things worse these idiots start honking like their life depends on it
Old 17th February 2011, 16:46   #2121
BHPian

Guys, thanks a lot for your support. Appreciate that.
Everyone on the road is always in a hurry. And in this hurry, they have forgotten basic manners as well. How many times in a day have you seen people cutting you across, not letting you take a turn inspite of having seen your indicators (they actually speed up on seeing them!!), honking like crazy even before the signal turns green, using the indicators at the last moment while taking a turn/changing lanes, etc. I guess it is difficult to keep count of these things. I used to be pretty agressive in my driving before joining Team-BHP. Then I learnt how to be a good and considerate driver (and also I got older ).
But, lately I've been feeling like an idiot in some of the situations. I follow the rules and I always respect fellow humans on the road. But others don't do the same and I lose my cool during such times. The worst part is that they make the mistake and stare at/abuse you as if you are the one who comitted it. Sometimes, I feel like going back to the old days and show them that I can drive like them too. But, I don't want to do that, by choice. I think I got a bit carried away with my emotions here. Had to vent out all that frustration somewhere and better here than the road...
Old 17th February 2011, 17:27   #2122
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Continue following the rules and driving sane. You would be surrounded by imbecile car drivers and suicidal bikers, maniac cabbies et al. But what distinguishes them from the sane lot is our behaviour on the road. Seeing them try acrobatics and stunts on public roads, why should we stoop to their level? Like someone's signature reads, "they pull you down to their level and then beat you with experience".

I encounter a lot many of them. Imagine the plight of a person trying to cross a road during peak traffic hours. I'm not shielded from the elements, dust, smoke and of course, unless I'm extra cautious, I'll be knocked down by some idiot on a bike/auto/car/bus/lorry/whatever. Among these myriad low-lives who care nothing about the safety of others on the road, when I see one person slowing down at a pedestrian crossing to let me pass or stopping before the stop line at a signal, I smile and salute the driver to show my appreciation. Sometimes I get to see them smile as an acknowledgment.

After all, this is the rant thread, so i'm not OT here
Old 17th February 2011, 17:39   #2123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, thanks a lot for your support. Appreciate
You did nothing wrong buddy. That spot looks familiar to me. Is it @GM palaya junction?. That junction is a real bottleneck (small temple+tree).

Last edited by Latheesh : 17th February 2011 at 17:40.
Old 17th February 2011, 17:53   #2124
Senior - BHPian

@praz, keep being courteous to others and you will feel better. But then I don't think you could blame the Vista uncle. Just see if you wouldn't have felt a little irritated if someone else was blocking your way.

@Arkin evoisrevo; you think since there are other stupid people breaking the rules, it shouldn't matter?

Again, in numerous instances on this thread, we kind of blame when other's are at fault.
Old 17th February 2011, 18:02   #2125
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, thanks a lot for your support. Appreciate that.
Everyone on the road is always in a hurry. And in this hurry, they have forgotten basic manners as well........................... I think I got a bit carried away with my emotions here. Had to vent out all that frustration somewhere and better here than the road...
Expressing such emotions is a great contribution to team-bhp, because you are setting an example for other road users who read your post, that strength lies in standing by what is right, and are indirectly dissuading them from driving like maniacs just because everyone does.

About frustration, as luck has it (for now) I don't drive (as yet), so I take the liberty to get back at those who stare / gesture / shout at my dad when he's driving defensively, and set them right. From the perspective of those behind the wheel, this is not so easy to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
^^^
Continue following the rules and driving sane. You would be surrounded by imbecile car drivers and suicidal bikers, maniac
I encounter a lot many of them. Imagine the plight of a person trying to cross a road during peak traffic hours. I'm not shielded from the elements, dust, smoke and of course, unless I'm extra cautious, I'll be knocked down by some idiot on a bike/auto/car/bus/lorry/whatever. Among these myriad low-lives who care nothing about the safety of others on the road, when I see one person slowing down at a pedestrian crossing to let me pass or stopping before the stop line at a signal, I smile and salute the driver to show my appreciation. Sometimes I get to see them smile as an acknowledgment.

After all, this is the rant thread, so i'm not OT here
The expression on the faces of the pedestrians at crossings & drivers taking legal turns when you slow down / stop for them is something that makes's one feel proud of being a law abider.

But when I'm a pedestrian?
I was almost mowed down by a biker on old airport road when I was crossing at a pedestrian crossing which doesn't have pelican signals. And what does he do? He asks me what the hell I'm doing on the middle of the road. And when I'm crossing when it is green for pedestrians, at the NAL/ISRO signal, I have to physically stop motorists from mowing me down, and a couple of times, a couple of idiotic bikers say "Jaldi Jao".

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

@Arkin evoisrevo; you think since there are other stupid people breaking the rules, it shouldn't matter?

Again, in numerous instances on this thread, we kind of blame when other's are at fault.
Mind elaborating the bold statement? I couldn't quite get you.
And how does the 2nd sentence come into picture here? Strange.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 17th February 2011 at 18:07.
Old 17th February 2011, 21:21   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
You did nothing wrong buddy. That spot looks familiar to me. Is it @GM palaya junction?. That junction is a real bottleneck (small temple+tree).
Thanks a lot buddy. You are spot on with the place. If you think about it, it was nobody's fault. I can't see whether someone is trying to take a right turn near that tree and the same way the other person can't see me trying to make a turn. Guess, the city planners didn't do such a good job here. I have decided to go the other way and avoid this stretch. That would save me some time and mental peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
@praz, keep being courteous to others and you will feel better. But then I don't think you could blame the Vista uncle. Just see if you wouldn't have felt a little irritated if someone else was blocking your way.
Thanks a lot. You are right about feeling good when you do the right thing. Something kept bugging me about whether I had done something wrong. Now, I have understood that it was nobody's fault. Still, I would be happy if people were a little considerate about others on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
^^^
Continue following the rules and driving sane. You would be surrounded by imbecile car drivers and suicidal bikers, maniac cabbies et al. But what distinguishes them from the sane lot is our behaviour on the road. Seeing them try acrobatics and stunts on public roads, why should we stoop to their level? Like someone's signature reads, "they pull you down to their level and then beat you with experience"........
Yes sir, will continue to follow the rules and try to be sane. Driving in a city is actually an art, you will perfect it only through your experience. Even if a few people like us follow the rules and road manners, it still makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
and then there is this other breed that thinks honking will immediately change the signal lights!! already people are irritated being in a traffic jam and to make things worse these idiots start honking like their life depends on it
I just don't bother to listen to these mindless idiots. I go only when the signal turns green. I tried to reason the same thing with my brother (who drives in Chennai). He said that if you follow the rules, you will get rear ended by someone who doesn't want to follow. He still follows the rules when I am there with him as he is tired of listening to my advice. The other thing I am trying to convince him is that seatbelts save lives. Haven't been successful till now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Expressing such emotions is a great contribution to team-bhp, because you are setting an example for other road users who read your post, that strength lies in standing by what is right, and are indirectly dissuading them from driving like maniacs just because everyone does. ....
Thanks buddy. Feel a lot better after sharing the experience and talking to sane and like minded people here on team-bhp. I have seen a few people actually stopping at a signal when they see me doing the same. Some others will just breeze past you, thinking you are an idiot for doing that. But, we are only concerned about the former lot and the latter lot will learn their lesson some day (hope it's not the hard way though!!).
Old 17th February 2011, 21:34   #2127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are spot on with the place. If you think about it, it was nobody's fault........I have decided to go the other way and avoid this stretch. That would save me some time and mental peace.
We are neighbors!! I stay in 4th Main and I have to take a right turn and cross that temple/tree junction to proceed towards Marhathahalli. During Saturday evenings, this small road gets blocked mainly due to the chaos at this junction. If I am coming from BEML gate, I have to take a right just before this junction. If i stop to take the right turn, the drivers behind start honking like mad and the ones in the front don't stop.
I have now started going straight toward the US Pizza outlet and take a U-Turn there as the road is quite broad. Come back and take a left towards my house.. Phew!!
Old 17th February 2011, 21:39   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
We are neighbors!! I stay in 4th Main and I have to take a right turn and cross that temple/tree junction to proceed towards Marhathahalli. During Saturday evenings, this small road gets blocked mainly due to the chaos at this junction. If I am coming from BEML gate, I have to take a right just before this junction. If i stop to take the right turn, the drivers behind start honking like mad and the ones in the front don't stop.
I have now started going straight toward the US Pizza outlet and take a U-Turn there as the road is quite broad. Come back and take a left towards my house.. Phew!!
OT : Great. You might have seen my car then as I too stay on 4th main. It's a white Punto with no t-bhp stickers (still waiting for them ). Do you have a chevy beat? I have seen one with t-bhp stickers on this road. I think taking a U-turn and coming back is the best thing to do as nobody would let you take the turn there.

EDIT : Just noticed your signature. You have a spark. Will look out for one...

Last edited by praz : 17th February 2011 at 21:41.
Old 17th February 2011, 23:03   #2129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
I was once a passenger with a friend and we were on the 3rd row in a traffic light. Just before the light turned green, my friend started honking frantically. I asked him why is he doing that as the ones ahead of us are also eager to move on once it turns green to which he said -- this is to alert the guys ahead of us to get ready to move on IMMEDIATELY as the light turns green else they will all be plonked forever. Now I had no answer to him, just looked the other way.
Old 18th February 2011, 15:44   #2130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT : Great. You might have seen my car then as I too stay on 4th main. It's a white Punto with no t-bhp stickers (still waiting for them ).
Will look out for a white punto on our road then. And my Spark does not have the T-BHP stickers yet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
this is to alert the guys ahead of us to get ready to move on IMMEDIATELY as the light turns green else they will all be plonked forever. Now I had no answer to him, just looked the other way.
Have heard the same reply from the Cabbies as well. Including some Meru cab drivers.

Graphite India Signal near Whitefield:
When you are approaching the signal from Kundanahalli side, the signal stays green for traffic going straight and it is red only for those who intend to take a right towards SAP. I have noticed for the last few weeks that the Volvo buses who invariably always take a right at this signal, proceed to the very front of the line and block the traffic going straight by parking bang on the left lane, hogging the entire lane!! I got so mad at them, that I ended up shouting at 3 of them but to no avail. Sigh!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks