Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2023, 22:27   #21091
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Some mind boggling number on the number of employees and cars commuting between KR Puram and Silk Board on ORR daily. 650,000 people and 300,000 vehicles.

Maybe a little inflated also looking at some of the numbers, but even 50% of this is massive.
I wouldn't say it's inflated but rather wrong because they haven't considered people like me who go beyond Marathahalli towards Kundanahalli and further areas. Thats also a considerable chunk of people
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 07:14   #21092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
And I'm one of those 300k+ vehicles. I have tried everything as below
Agree with the list. I would add one more - public carpooling/ridesharing apps. Worked extremely well a few years ago for me. I could leave and come back at different times over the day and 9 out of 10 times, I found an option to get me to office / back home. Worked good for the car owners too - had become regulars with a select few. Unfortunately those apps were banned later. Not sure why they aren't considering opening them up again (currently these apps only show outstation carpooling options).
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 07:38   #21093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Unfortunately those apps were banned later. Not sure why they aren't considering opening them up again
Quickride is open and many are offering rides. My wife has been using quite regularly for the last couple of months. In fact, she got into a Quickride just a few minutes back

----

I noticed that Embassy Tech Village at Kadubeesanahalli has introduced a few dedicated buses. I hope other tech parks also follow this lead and introduce buses which go into the tech park itself. Till the time the metro comes, buses is the solution.

Last edited by DigitalOne : 18th July 2023 at 07:42.
DigitalOne is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 09:52   #21094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
I stick to my personal car for all office commute!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Quickride is open and many are offering rides.
I am using my car for Office Commute and have been offering seats on quick ride for last 2+ months and I find it very useful. Benefits are:
  • meet new people. know what's going around in other companies / other streams of work and helps you to get a whole new perspective that you some times are not really exposed to
  • lower fuel bills
  • decongest the roads (may be insignificant now, but more and more people use such ride sharing apps, will make it incrementally better, I believe)
satnan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 11:26   #21095
BHPian

Unusually heavy buildup of traffic from Old Madras Road towards Domlur today. Took me an nearly 1 hour 15 minutes to cross SuranjanDas Road and reach Domlur side (6 kms) - this normally takes 30 minutes on other days. Hearing that 100Ft road is similarly choked. Dont know the reason but folks who see this post just avoid these roads until traffic normalises.
Rajeev1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 11:29   #21096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
Unusually heavy buildup of traffic from Old Madras Road towards Domlur today. Took me an nearly 1 hour 15 minutes to cross SuranjanDas Road and reach Domlur side (6 kms) - this normally takes 30 minutes on other days. Hearing that 100Ft road is similarly choked. Dont know the reason but folks who see this post just avoid these roads until traffic normalises.
https://www.timesnownews.com/bengalu...icle-101829941

The reason is mentioned in various news articles. I believe what you experienced was a cascading effect of this one.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 11:35   #21097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
...public carpooling/ridesharing apps....Unfortunately those apps were banned later. Not sure why they aren't considering opening them up again
Auto rickshaw and taxi unions. They don't want to work (go where clients want to at a pre-decided, fixed rate), but they don't want anyone else to work either and break their monopoly.

Anyway, for what it's worth, tried the Namma Yatri app yesterday. Got an auto at a reasonable rate, when Ola didn't find any drivers who were accepting the ride. Maybe more auto drivers have migrated to the Yatri app instead. Apparently they get a bigger share of the amount for each ride and also the auto unions are pushing for it.
Old 18th July 2023, 12:12   #21098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Anyway, for what it's worth, tried the Namma Yatri app yesterday. Got an auto at a reasonable rate, when Ola didn't find any drivers who were accepting the ride. Maybe more auto drivers have migrated to the Yatri app instead. Apparently they get a bigger share of the amount for each ride and also the auto unions are pushing for it.
Off late, I am finding rapido to be the best for autos. Using it frequently in last few weeks and more often that not, it gets you a ride much quicker than Ola or Uber. And generally I find the rates (slightly) lower too and cancellations fewer.

However, I do see the some of the drivers asking you to change payment mode to cash (in the app itself) and happy to receive a UPI transfer directly to them after the ride, rather than through the app. May be it takes much longer for them to realize the payment through Rapido.
satnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 12:24   #21099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
Possibly due to this.
Congress leader and ex Kerala CM Sri. Oommen Chandy passed away in Bangalore CMH hospital today morning. His mortal remnants are kept for public homage at T John's residence in Indiranagar.
A lot of VIP movement in that area, who are visiting to pay homage. In addition, common people also visiting in large numbers to pay homage.
The body is to be flown in to Thiruvananthapuram from HAL airport around 1 PM.
So, the traffic might clear up in the evening.
MSAneesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 12:19   #21100
Distinguished - BHPian

On Friday noticed barricades being put next to bus stop at Devarabeesanahalli on ORR on carriageway towards Bellandur side.

Today saw that on opposite carriageway also barricades are put, just when you get down the flyover. This was causing traffic congestion in that section.

Read online that it will be there for a while.

News
Old 31st July 2023, 20:28   #21101
BHPian

Team, what is the parking space like around Freedom Park? I am planning to be there tomorrow and wanted to find out if there is kerb side parking or some paid parking nearby?
Old 31st July 2023, 20:40   #21102

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Team, what is the parking space like around Freedom Park? I am planning to be there tomorrow and wanted to find out if there is kerb side parking or some paid parking nearby?
There’s enough parking right outside the park. Shouldn’t be an issue. If that’s full, you can park ahead near Visveswaraya college. And walk back 200-300 meters back to the park.
NazgulLOTR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 12:42   #21103
Senior - BHPian

Bengaluru Loses Nearly Rs. 20,000 Crore Due To Traffic Mess: Study

Quote:
Bengaluru is known for its bustling tech industry and notorious traffic congestion. Now, a new report has revealed that the city has suffered a loss of Rs. 19,725 crore per year due to its traffic delays, congestion, stoppage of signals, time loss, fuel loss and related factors.
Quote:
The study says that despite having 60 fully functional flyovers in the city, Bengaluru has incurred a loss of Rs. 19,725 crore for road users due to delays, congestion, stoppages at signals, interference of slow-moving vehicles with fast-moving, fuel loss, occupants time loss, loss of the vehicle time when converted into money based on salary and more.
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/beng...dtv_topstories
RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 17:34   #21104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Bengaluru Loses Nearly Rs. 20,000 Crore Due To Traffic Mess: Study

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/beng...dtv_topstories
Thanks for this link. I have been wondering what would be the loss on time, additional fuel due to slow moving traffic and other stuff we have to go through as knock on effect in terms of loss of man hours. That too, we being the highest road tax payers in the country.
Old 8th August 2023, 09:47   #21105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satnan View Post
I am using my car for Office Commute and have been offering seats on quick ride for last 2+ months and I find it very useful. Benefits are:
  • meet new people. know what's going around in other companies / other streams of work and helps you to get a whole new perspective that you some times are not really exposed to
  • lower fuel bills
  • decongest the roads (may be insignificant now, but more and more people use such ride sharing apps, will make it incrementally better, I believe)
Hey, that looks like a great way of networking for getting insights and maybe opportunities too while you save some fuel. Wonderful

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks