Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2023, 20:04   #21046
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
...Because tunnels sound cooler than flyovers?
It's like they've learnt nothing from the tunnelling issues faced during metro work, once even being thwarted by an underground garbage pile from an unaccounted dumping site.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le65981444.ece
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 09:32   #21047
BHPian

Google maps is showing Gangadhara Swamy flyover (Towards Mysore from NR Road/Corporation circle) is closed. Can some one confirm this? Was planning to go towards mysore post lunch
Old 29th June 2023, 09:44   #21048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgv View Post
Google maps is showing Gangadhara Swamy flyover (Towards Mysore from NR Road/Corporation circle) is closed. Can some one confirm this? Was planning to go towards mysore post lunch
There are many diversions and traffic closure today for Bakrid Celebrations between 8 AM to 12 PM.

Sirsi Circle Flyover and part of Chamarajapete area is closed for traffic between 8 AM to 12 PM.

Should be open post lunch, take Nice road till Mysore road if possible.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 09:58   #21049
Distinguished - BHPian

When the TBMs used by BMRCL are literally crawling and struggling to complete their short stretches through Bangalore's rocky ground, how on earth do they plan to finish two 63-km long tunnels in a reasonable time and cost?

A far more realistic solution would be to push along the Metro, hold BMRCL accountable for their deadlines, and give the Traffic Police some real teeth to clear traffic jams with real zero-tolerance for traffic violations and parking on the roads.

Highly unlikely this proposal will be approved, but some money will be made for the various "studies", and it gets some news cycles now. Which was probably the intention.

Last edited by am1m : 29th June 2023 at 09:59.
Old 29th June 2023, 10:34   #21050
BHPian

via DKS in TOI today (I believe they are smoking intense stuff)

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-unlike-steel-flyover-dks-hints-he-wont-buckle-tunnel-plan.jpg
LordSharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 11:25   #21051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgv View Post
Hi, could be true though I have not verified it. I read in the news today that Chamarajpet MLA Zameer Ahmed would be visiting the Idgah Maidan for Eid prayers and later also accompanied by CM Siddaramaiah. So you can expect road/flyover closures around that time. Keep some alternate routes in plan too.
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 14:03   #21052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
Stupidity coupled with a mindset of pure loot and corruption knows no bounds.

Roads build at ground level get flooded at the slightest shower. As suggested in the above posts, the tunnels would act as a good source to harvest rainwater and connect the lakes. SWDs would no longer be needed and the BBMP can give clearance permits for construction on them without a worry

What stops this sort of stubborn attitude to build the STRR and PRR and / or make the NICE road completed circular as opposed to the semi circle it is right now around the city. Couple this with concentrating resources on completing the metro work on the ring road on or before time and giving the BTP incentives to have a no nonsense attitude towards traffic violators should ease a good chunk of traffic woes we face daily. But again, seems like funding for Lok Sabha 2024 is in progress. Propose idiotic plans, get feasibility studies done at exponential costs and about a year later, everything lays forgotten.

Its hair brained schemes like these that sometimes make me feel that the tax I pay is a total waste and a donation to fill coffers of these guys.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th July 2023 at 12:09. Reason: Minor spacing
ShreyG is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 15:00   #21053
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2469564
Sounds like a ring tunnel road proposal. A metro is coming up on ORR. Why the hell would we need a ring tunnel road? This is insane on so many fronts:

1) Most importantly, the entry and exit are choke points in any fast growing city as most Indian metro cities are, and as has been seen abundantly. While such choking may be acceptable in flyovers and elevated roads, it will be suicidal in a tunnel road. With zillions of vehicles idling inside a looong tunnel with their exhaust emission, people will be gassed to death!

2) In monsoon, they're a bigtime flood risk.

3) Cost-wise, it looks a non-starter (it seems as costly as a fully-UG ORR metro, IIRC). When PRR isn't taking off partly due to costs, how will this ever take off when it is costlier than PRR?

There is a case for a few tunnel roads albeit short ones, of max 1-1.5 km length each I'd imagine, and maybe 2-3 such tunnels atmost, in places where metro is unlikely to come in near future or where it serves a much needed road connectivity.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 18:27   #21054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Not sure if it is me, but off-late, there are lot of people who drive/ride through one-ways, wrong side on a two-way road. Cut across without utter care for fellow motorists, absolutely no respect for other cars/bikes.
I have seen this happen on the Agara lake road. Since the time the opposite road coming from Jakkasandra towards Agara lake is closed, people in 2 wheeler as well as Autos come in the opposite direction. Wondering why arent the cops standing right next to the signal allow them just like that.
Old 29th June 2023, 18:33   #21055
BHPian

I presume the tunnel wouldn't be created for a long stretch but instead they may have entry and exit points for every km or two as you suggested in your last point. Nevertheless its a tall claim when the government cant even deliver on their poll promises. This looks like just another political trumpet.
chetancm7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 18:45   #21056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It's like they've learnt nothing from the tunnelling issues faced during metro work, once even being thwarted by an underground garbage pile from an unaccounted dumping site.
Flyovers shifted the chokepoints. White Topping increased flooding. Now what? Earthquake or sinkholes?

I really don't know where the solution lies. A Peripheral Ring Road like that in Hyderabad can surely help areas like KR Puram, Hebbal, BEL, etc. And possibly using short chassis buses with lower capacities but higher frequencies on narrow roads. Doesn't sound innovative. Often, simplicity of a solution is what works.

Last edited by theabstractmind : 29th June 2023 at 18:46.
Old 29th June 2023, 20:16   #21057
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2469564
Have they no shame? Behaving like medieval potentates instead of elected public servants with their arrogance and stubbornness.
Old 29th June 2023, 20:45   #21058
BHPian

Regarding tunnel, I think everyone wants to construct something that cements their legacy for time immemorial

When even underpasses are not convenient in rains how will tunnels help with so many exit/entry points planned ? Where is the space inside the city for exit/entry points ? Hope at least the new PRR is built properly without mushrooming real estate near to it. NICE road if it had extra lanes is a good example of being devoid of any human settlements next to it with barricaded walls and allowing only traffic

Last edited by PreludeSH : 29th June 2023 at 20:47.
Old 30th June 2023, 08:55   #21059
BHPian

I have driven in many cities across the India including Delhi, Kolkata and Bangalore.
In NCR, people are gunning when the light is yellow. In Kolkata, people are gunning few seconds before light turns green. In Bangalore, there was no gunning. All I did was crawl.
Ltinsane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 16:30   #21060
BHPian

It just keeps getting worse and worse and worse. I recently had a chance to travel in the backseat of a car in years on a road trip with friends ( normally I'm either at the wheels or the co-driver ) from Madikeri to Bangalore and I had a lot of opportunity to observe other road users both on the highway and inside the city.

A huge number of people use mobile phones during driving - that typical tilting of phone to speak into the mic ( if possible they would get into the mic and travel to the other end of the call ), with nary a care about the traffic around. One genius on Mysore Expressway driving a car was on the right lane and talking busily on the phone - held in the hand. Despite having an expressway, people still overtake and drive in a frenzy. Lots and lots of cars missing exits and driving back on the slow lane but in the wrong direction. Anybody's guess on what type of accidents these schmucks can cause. Multiple accidents witnessed on the return from Madikeri - one major one where a ciaz or dzire and a KSRTC red had collided. The road was a sight. There was one more accident where a car's windshields were smashed by two wheeler riders over some altercation.

Enter the city and you get yulus ( whose riders think they are Zulus ), headlightless autos, two wheelers, crisscrossing riders ( one went fully zig zag between 2 lanes of cars though space was available at the extreme left ), folks on yulus again riding through a narrow space between a median and and a bus in the fast lane.

When I drive, I don't have the time to observe all these different riders and drivers at leisure; from the backseat, my head was going dizzy at how the traffic situation and careless driving (especially after Covid) has become. Powerful cars with 'L' boards are also the norm : Nexons, Cretas, Seltos, heck even a Mahindra Thar with L board. Shows how much people put others' safety into priority.

It's just unbelievable. U.N.B.E.L.I.E.V.A.B.L.E.

Is it feasible that we could do awareness sessions to road users under the TBHP banner in partnership with local traffic police/police etc ? The educated, rich, highflying folks of Bangalore can do with some of those sessions.

Last edited by airguitar : 2nd July 2023 at 16:32.
airguitar is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed