Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2023, 09:25   #20881
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

The BMRCL & BTP teams are playing some sort of game at the 14th Main/Sarjapur Road signal in Agara (NW corner of Agara lake)? Some days right turn is allowed here when coming from HSR Layout. Some other days it isn't. I haven't been able to figure out the logic here.

If I miss the right turn at 14th Main/ORR signal, I tend to take the right here. But on days it is closed I am forced to take the longer detour via Koramangala-Ejipura-Domlur.
Old 26th April 2023, 09:47   #20882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Condor - Are you referencing the Sarakki signal? I haven’t been there in a week and didn’t know that right turn is dis-allowed. If I understood it right, we can’t turn right at the Sarakki signal driving in from Yelachenahalli?
A regular route for me. I had posted on BTP's FB page last time. Guess we will have to start again.

I had come that route on Saturday, and all was BAU. Yesterday my friend who lives in that area told me about it.

Last edited by condor : 26th April 2023 at 09:52.
Old 29th April 2023, 06:51   #20883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The BMRCL & BTP teams are playing some sort of game at the 14th Main/Sarjapur Road signal in Agara (NW corner of Agara lake)? Some days right turn is allowed here when coming from HSR Layout. Some other days it isn't. I haven't been able to figure out the logic here.

If I miss the right turn at 14th Main/ORR signal, I tend to take the right here. But on days it is closed I am forced to take the longer detour via Koramangala-Ejipura-Domlur.
I don't understand the rationale for closing that stretch of Sarjapur Road. I don't even think a metro line is going to come on that road.
Old 29th April 2023, 07:14   #20884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
I don't understand the rationale for closing that stretch of Sarjapur Road. I don't even think a metro line is going to come on that road.
I think the rationale is to funnel traffic coming from koramangala/jakkasandra going towards iblur over the agara flyover. With all the metro construction under the agara flyover , it is creating a bit of choke point . One can argue it is just shifting the choke point to another place but that is how entire bangalore traffic management works unfortunately.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 08:02   #20885
Distinguished - BHPian

Lot of restrictions in west BLR today and on Sunday too.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/beng...w/99857865.cms

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/99854611.cms
Old 29th April 2023, 16:45   #20886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Please don’t use NICE towards Mysore road from Hosur, Bannerghatta or from Kanakapura road side. Because of traffic restrictions the whole road is in a mess.
Selective is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 05:51   #20887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
I think the rationale is to funnel traffic coming from koramangala/jakkasandra going towards iblur over the agara flyover. With all the metro construction under the agara flyover , it is creating a bit of choke point . One can argue it is just shifting the choke point to another place but that is how entire bangalore traffic management works unfortunately.
Yes, as @etrast75 says, it is to prevent vehicles from plying eastbound on Jakkasandra-Agara lakeside road (formerly called Sarjapur Rd). Else it causes unmanageable bottleneck under Agara flyover, where space is severely restricted (due to shitty planning/permits 15 years ago) due to Sobha Onyx on one side literally a few feet from the flyover, and Iblur Camp on the other side again just a few feet from the flyover. Both these have constrained the outer slip roads to be a narrow 1 lane road, especially more constrained on the Sobha Onyx side (narrower than 1 lane).

The only way to work around this constraint, especially with median slip roads blocked off due to ORR Metro work under active construction, is to force all traffic to go *atop* the Agara flyover.

Last edited by vharihar : 30th April 2023 at 05:53.
Old 2nd May 2023, 09:41   #20888
Distinguished - BHPian

The usual mugging tactics, but surprised to see a broad daylight attack.

https://twitter.com/neelsalgaonkar/s...QnUac2sug&s=19

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd May 2023 at 09:54. Reason: typo
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 15:05   #20889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Pure Deja Vu moment for me, albeit it was 13 years back almost in the same stretch.
Circa 2010, there were very exactly similar modus operandi - same two bikes, 4 people, asking to stop down, banging on bonnet, me managing to escape through very tight traffic, then again stopping their bikes in front of my car, hitting with their helmet tried on me, bang on Marathahalli signal.

Remember had managed to escape out through the Purvankara/Rohan Vasantha apartment road adjacent to the flyover and remember they chased me all the way till the railway track and then disappeared. The road was full of humps and no lightings, and I remember was just speeding through all the speed breakers without slowing down. All the while I was speaking with my then fiancee(now wife) in the car bluetooth and she was listening to all this over a phone call.

The only thing that was running through my mind at that time - was getting married the next week and didnt want to appear with a scar/plaster in my wedding photos. But the damage to the car was down, Reasonable crack on the windshield and the driver side window caused by banging of the helmet.

Last edited by hamster : 2nd May 2023 at 15:15. Reason: added year
hamster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 10:26   #20890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster
Pure Deja Vu moment for me, albeit it was 13 years back almost in the same stretch.
I am generally a pro-Police person. But need to say that, I get a strong feeling that all such characters are known to the police men. These folks could be the petty criminals, or low hanging fruits in the 'criminal tree' who may also be informers to the police. When there was a similar incident in Sarjapura Road, the outrage from the citizens were very high and police immediately identified and picked up the criminals.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 07:46   #20891
BHPian

As if a single day was not enough, the PM roadshow is now set to create cascading traffic snarls in south and central Bangalore over the entire weekend, May 6 and 7.

Please be mindful of traffic restrictions if you are out and about during this time.

https://www.thehindu.com/elections/k...le66813052.ece
dust-n-bones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 14:14   #20892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Said it before. Saying it again. Every car requires to have a proper dash cam. It is ridiculous when normal citizens are subjected to this kind of criminal behaviour by these lumpen elements.
Our taxes ought to at least guarantee us a proper law and order situation.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 12:33   #20893
Distinguished - BHPian

EV menace

Off late I notice that the Tigor EV cabs are the new hooligans on the road. They have discovered the power of instant acceleration from the electric motors and the convenience of being gear less. Barging in and out of lanes, signals, gaps, parkings and what not, all the while the driver is on his phone. I also often notice these Tigors treading into flooded roads, splashing and wading through areas which only Xylos could dare. Hope sense prevails among this community before anything goes wrong (people start blaming Tata )!

PS: I have seen a very small percentage of private EV drivers too also exploit their EV freedom.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 11:49   #20894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Yes, as @etrast75 says, it is to prevent vehicles from plying eastbound on Jakkasandra-Agara lakeside road (formerly called Sarjapur Rd).
Today I realised that this blockade is not just at Jakkasandra, but also on all other roads that bring traffic into the anticlockwise ORR. I was driving from HSR Sector 6 to Bellandur in the morning rush hour; Google said the HSR flyover has a +25 minutes delay. So took the 17th cross into Agara village and tried joining ORR under Agara flyover; but BTP had barricaded off the last block of that connection too. Had to go through many bylanes and eventually gave up; drove towards Koramangala and went via Ejipura-Domlur.
Old 8th May 2023, 13:03   #20895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
EV menace

<Snip>Tigor EV cabs are the new hooligans on the road<snip>discovered the power of instant acceleration from the electric motors and the convenience of being gear less. Barging in and out of lanes, signals, gaps, parkings and what not<snip>exploit their EV freedom.
Haven't encountered Tigor taxis doing this so far (thankfully!), but the other day encountered a moron Nexon driver (should I call her moron-ess!?) doing all such sort of crazy antics on ORR right from Innovative multiplex till Sarjapur-Iblur junction!

She was in a peacock-green Nexon EV, was doing all that you mentioned plus more - jumping lanes nonchalantly with no indication/honking like mad/flashing headlights/all the works. Inconvenienced me couple of times, I kept my cool. When she weaved in front of my car the 3rd time, I lost it. Next chance that I got to overtake her in front of Ecospace flyover, slowed down & stopped my car bang in front of her, trapping her behind mine, gesturing her what the heck & allowing traffic on other 2lanes to proceed wondering what's happening!

Let me shamefully admit my mistake & an apology to the road user in general for inconveniencing them, to my upbringing & to the nation - vowing to never repeat such behaviour in public(but not to the moron-ess driver)!
KrisTvpm is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed