Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2023, 05:59   #20866
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Bangalore folks need to realize they are the problem and the solution to the traffic woes Realistically it is never going to be solved -
Man and His Car - 1974.
(Don’t miss the ‘Grim Reaper’ in the Vintage Car.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_7315.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 06:33   #20867
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Update on the Old Madras Road - Byappanahalli Road leading to the flyover towards Sir M Visvesvaraya Terminal and the service road leading towards Kalpalli crematorium/burial grounds and then towards Cox Town/Wheeler road

TL;DR Version - it is a carpet/tarmac currently, absolutely brilliant to drive or ride!

History
Last year when the new railway terminal opened, the flyover on this narrow road was completed (after years of being stuck!), but the road below was in a pathetic condition and I made the cardinal sin of taking this road in my car one day few months ago thinking it was a smart way to beat the crawling traffic on Old madras road! I was lucky to get out in one piece without damaging the car.

Last weekend, I took the Shatabdi train to Chennai and I was surprised to see what looked like a brand new road when the train crossed the junction. On the return, I took the Vande Bharat and I could confirm that it was really this road and my eyes weren't playing a trick on me

This morning, I took the scooter there and it was absolutely brilliant. On the way back if one is taking the service road back to Old Madras road (coming from Cox Town/Kalpalli side), it is very narrow at one place where the Army land's boundary wall is, but otherwise the tarmac is perfect. Good progress on this stretch finally.

Last edited by NPV : 30th March 2023 at 06:35.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 07:19   #20868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Update on the Old Madras Road - Byappanahalli Road leading to the flyover towards Sir M Visvesvaraya Terminal and the service road leading towards Kalpalli crematorium/burial grounds and then towards Cox Town/Wheeler road
Are you talking about this bridge (and road)? It's been completed and open for over 6 months or maybe even longer. Also the connect to Banaswadi / Cox Town via the bridge further ahead is extremely sorted.

As for SMVT station itself - although it looks like a swanky airport, it still has to scale up on the platform shops, restaurants etc. We have caught a train or two from there; even Krishnarajapuram up ranks it on that aspect.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 08:50   #20869
BHPian

Quote:
Last year when the new railway terminal opened, the flyover on this narrow road was completed (after years of being stuck!), but the road below was in a pathetic condition and I made the cardinal sin of taking this road in my car one day few months ago thinking it was a smart way to beat the crawling traffic on Old madras road! I was lucky to get out in one piece without damaging the car.
Quote:
Are you talking about this bridge (and road)? It's been completed and open for over 6 months or maybe even longer. Also the connect to Banaswadi / Cox Town via the bridge further ahead is extremely sorted.

As for SMVT station itself - although it looks like a swanky airport, it still has to scale up on the platform shops, restaurants etc. We have caught a train or two from there; even Krishnarajapuram up ranks it on that aspect.
NPV is referring to the road below the overbridge. The one that leads to Kalpalli cemetery located adjacent to Chennai-Bengaluru railway line.
I too made the mistake sometime in 2022 of taking this route from Halasuru (Assaye Road) to avoid the Old Madras Road jam. I was in my Activa with my wife as pillion. Boy! I regretted it big time

Glad to know that the road is fixed now. That ROB was one of most delayed projects I have seen in my life (second only to Domlur flyover which I witnessed in early 2000s).

Last edited by srvm : 30th March 2023 at 08:52.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 09:23   #20870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
That ROB was one of most delayed projects I have seen in my life.
Koramangala 100ft Road says hi and invites you to visit sometime.
binand is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 10:27   #20871
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you talking about this.
As @srvm pointed out, I was mentioning the service road that goes to the railway parallel road towards Kalpalli and then Cox town.
The powers that be have been doing Just In Time infrastructure works forever and they timed it with the PM visit - few months ago when the PM visited for inauguration of the railway station, they got just the ROB and down ramp towards railway station done since the focus was on the railway station (on the other side). This time when the PM visited for the KR Puram metro line inauguration, they've got the service road done. I wish the PM pays us a visit every month

Of course, the PM is visiting Bangalore often these days since the state elections are round the corner and a slew of infrastructure projects are being inaugurated in a hurry

Last edited by NPV : 30th March 2023 at 10:31.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 11:48   #20872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Koramangala 100ft Road says hi and invites you to visit sometime.
oh! I thought they finished the 'intended' work in Koramangala.
Indian version of Stonehenge. Haven't you heard about it?
(Refer Post #20770 (Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation) )

srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 13:59   #20873
BHPian

Quote:
..I wish the PM pays us a visit every month
Good thing to wish for :-), along with that, I wish along with the monthly visits, they shift the Raj Bhavan (and if needed the legislative assembly) somewhere near airport. These visits clog up the area around vidhana soudha.
Old 30th March 2023, 15:55   #20874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As @srvm pointed out, I was mentioning the service road that goes to the railway parallel road towards Kalpalli and then Cox town.
The powers that be have been doing Just In Time infrastructure works forever and they timed it with the PM visit - few months ago when the PM visited for inauguration of the railway station, they got just the ROB and down ramp towards railway station done since the focus was on the railway station (on the other side). This time when the PM visited for the KR Puram metro line inauguration, they've got the service road done. I wish the PM pays us a visit every month

Of course, the PM is visiting Bangalore often these days since the state elections are round the corner and a slew of infrastructure projects are being inaugurated in a hurry
Was it done because of his visit? Because the road after the asphalted section all the way to Jevanahalli bridge is in bad state. If only this stretch under the fly over was asphalted, I think it was because it was just gravel earlier and the defence who's compound is on either side of that road, would have been behind it.
Old 20th April 2023, 09:35   #20875
BHPian

Hi All
Has anyone also noticed a new trend (specifically among cabbies) of concealing the rear number plate with a black, slitted plate? I usually go to office covering most of the menaced ORR from silk board and KR Pura and noticed a plethora of such dzires, etioses etc, specially this week. Do they something we don't?
Seems these guys are a few steps ahead with their desi jugaads to avoid online fines by the click friendly BTP.
ShreyG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 13:45   #20876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
Hi All
Has anyone also noticed a new trend (specifically among cabbies) of concealing the rear number plate with a black, slitted plate? BTP.
It would be great if you could post a picture of this. Thank you
Old 20th April 2023, 13:52   #20877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
It would be great if you could post a picture of this. Thank you
Will be difficult and somewhat dangerous to take a picture while riding / driving.
Moreover, I think that's exactly what the cabbies want to try and avoid. Might lead to unnecessary altercation if I do something like that standing in traffic or a red light.

But it was something like this -
Name:  IMP.PNG
Views: 319
Size:  57.5 KB
Old 20th April 2023, 14:58   #20878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
Hi All
Has anyone also noticed a new trend (specifically among cabbies) of concealing the rear number plate with a black, slitted plate? I usually go to office covering most of the menaced ORR from silk board and KR Pura and noticed a plethora of such dzires, etioses etc, specially this week. Do they something we don't?
Seems these guys are a few steps ahead with their desi jugaads to avoid online fines by the click friendly BTP.
Not just the cabbies, a lot of two wheelers do not sport the rear number plates anymore and it is only done with the intention of avoiding a online file.
Old 25th April 2023, 21:41   #20879
Distinguished - BHPian

Last week of January 2023 (Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation), I had posted about the right turn at intersection of Kanakapura Road and JP Nagar Ring Road, having been disallowed. Local associations had complained, and it was revoked.

However, my friend updated me today that this turn has been dis-allowed again today.

Looks like a stronger protest will be required. A turn at a major intersection with so many vehicles taking the turn is bound to cause problems. The alternate route is to go further up about half a km and turn right into the Sarakki market area, towards RV Dental college.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 22:17   #20880
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Condor - Are you referencing the Sarakki signal? I haven’t been there in a week and didn’t know that right turn is dis-allowed. If I understood it right, we can’t turn right at the Sarakki signal driving in from Yelachenahalli?
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks