Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2022, 22:18   #20401
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
All my arguments fell on deaf ears - they stuck to the point that the default rule is always no free left allowed.
Noticed your experience was on a dedicated left lane.
In my opinion, the cops were correct. At least in BLR, there is NO free left unless indicated otherwise.

In all honesty, I cannot blame them either. The overwhelming majority of 2W or 4W road users have zero iota of civic sense or common sense - either multiple lanes will start to turn left instead of only one OR some enterprising cabbie will block the free left because he wants to go straight.
Old 3rd November 2022, 23:47   #20402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Maybe the friendly conversation in the local language worked for you? Or maybe the cops were feeling lenient
Local language or a combination of factors actually. But I was pretty straightforward in telling them that they have come up with this new scheme and I was actually laughing at the policeman telling him that they are tricking innocent people in such ways. He told me that I have to speak to the inspector. Went up to the inspector again making fun of this and told him that it's one of the most bizzare thing I have come across in my life that they create a dedicated left and then expect people to follow signals. Basically they couldn't justify the act and yet were insisting that the main signal applies to the left lane also. Perhaps they were looking for some negotiation on the fine with some bribe but by then I had just pulled out my card and told him anyway they have made their special rules so just charge whatever is the fine and finish up as if I was disgusted. At that point he told its okay carry on be careful from next time so he at least keeps his ego intact. That was it. I wanted to get away before they would notice the sunfilm so it was a good day

But in general, based on my experience the cops profile you well be it in traffic checks or other interactions. Your attire, model and colour of the car, RTO location(heard from the horses mouth itself) fancy numbers if any all change their behaviour towards you and if the conversation can go calmly, it mostly works in our favor. Basically a white Innova or Fortuner with a fancy number is close to invincible and the invincibility starts reducing factor by factor after that

Last edited by audioholic : 3rd November 2022 at 23:52.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 13:26   #20403
Senior - BHPian

Mega traffic jam today between Koramangala Water Tank and Sony World junctions. Lost around 45 minutes to cover this section. Did not know the precise reason for the block, but I saw some drainages being opened up and getting cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic
Your attire, model and colour of the car, RTO location(heard from the horses mouth itself) fancy numbers if any all change their behaviour towards you and if the conversation can go calmly, it mostly works in our favor.
One thing; the police have camraderie which cuts across states. A couple of my friends came from home town in KL registration car which 'jumped a signal' (border line case) at Military School junction and it was pulled over. One of the friend is a police man and he just told the HC that he was a police man from KL. No questions, no fines and we were told to go. Was caught once for going over the speed limit. I know I was wrong and so proceeded to pay the fine. I noticed that the police man was wearing a base ball cap (and not the usual slouch hat), and asked him if the caps have changed. He immediately got apologetic and asked if I was a police man myself, as for them fining a fellow-cop is just not done.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 14:20   #20404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
However there is no such signal under the dairy circle flyover.
I had seen this at many places. There is a physical sign board that says no Left Turn and an electronic signal showing a left turn. I had asked this to Bangalore Traffic Police on Twitter and they said, free left is not allowed by default and we need to wait for the signal and signal has the priority over the sign board.

It's mentioned on BTP website as well.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-btp.png

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20221104_142950.jpg

https://btp.gov.in/faqs.html

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 4th November 2022 at 14:33.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 12:29   #20405
Distinguished - BHPian

Seeing a strange 'enhancement' with traffic lights. The red signal is now in the shape of an heart. Saw it in the Sarjapur Road ORR signal and thought it was a one off thing. Then saw on twitter the same being posted for few other signals. Not sure if it is a wide phenomenon and if so absolutely cannot fathom why waste money to something like this which serves no purpose. Even a cleaning of the signals, adding a timer etc would have been so much more useful.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 13:02   #20406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Seeing a strange 'enhancement' with traffic lights. The red signal is now in the shape of an heart. Saw it in the Sarjapur Road ORR signal and thought it was a one off thing. Then saw on twitter the same being posted for few other signals. Not sure if it is a wide phenomenon and if so absolutely cannot fathom why waste money to something like this which serves no purpose. Even a cleaning of the signals, adding a timer etc would have been so much more useful.
An initiative by a Bengaluru hospital

Read more at:
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...campaign=cppst
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 13:27   #20407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
An initiative by a Bengaluru hospital

Read more at:
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...campaign=cppst
Thanks for clarifying that. I thought it maybe some scammy stuff. This is a good initiative
Old 7th November 2022, 18:01   #20408
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this nice video that explains the upcoming metro lines and the proposed suburban corridors. If things actually happen as per this schedule, this thread may go dead in the next 10 years.

Jokes apart, the Whitefield and Electronic City lines which are probably less than a year from full operation will really enhance the metro network and the next game changer would be the ORR line which atleast as of now seems to be progressing fast.

Video is in hindi

Rajeevraj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 18:18   #20409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If things actually happen as per this schedule, this thread may go dead in the next 10 years.
Doubt they will meet any of their deadlines, will overshoot by 5 years at least. But still, all of what is described is very, very anticipated, useful and welcome! Bangalore needs as many extensions of the Metro and Commuter Rail as it can get. In conjunction, if we can get the auto guys to ply as they are supposed to, I think there will be very little need for private transport on a daily basis either, once all this is completed.

Great video, thanks for sharing.
Old 7th November 2022, 18:30   #20410
Senior - BHPian

What will happen by 2027, nobody knows but there was a comedy scene about Namma Metro in Puneeth's Jackie movie released in 2010. The missing link I see is here building a rail network to run an ambulance between hospitals.

Last edited by deehunk : 7th November 2022 at 18:33.
Old 7th November 2022, 18:45   #20411
BHPian

Quote:
nice video that explains the upcoming metro lines and the proposed suburban corridors
That is a really informative and encouraging video . Hope they meet the deadlines especially the ORR and Airport ones.

Btw, where are these locations in the video?
1. At 8:31-8:35, a "green" road with railway underpass in the middle
2. At 10:03-10:10, the big Hanuman statue

Last edited by mayukh42 : 7th November 2022 at 18:47.
Old 7th November 2022, 19:07   #20412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I noticed this the other day at Sony World Koramangala. Anyway for example, if one has actually had a heart attack and is in an ambulance, irrespective of these heart shaped signals and all, considering the present state of Bangalore traffic one will really be lucky to reach a competent doctor or hospital in time.
For example this morning, I landed from Singapore at 0735hrs - a clean, comfortable, stress-free, on-time, 4 hour Indigo flight.
Cleared Immigration and picked up my bags (including my odd-shaped golf bag) from the odd-sized-baggage room, all in a matter of just 20-25 minutes. My regular taxi driver was waiting for me at the pickup point and he drives sensibly.
We left the Airport at 0800 sharp.
And we took fully 2 hours to reach my home. Just traversing the Hebbal Flyover and reaching Windsor Manor bridge alone ate up approx 45-50 minutes of our time.
Old 7th November 2022, 20:38   #20413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes I noticed this the other day at Sony World Koramangala...
It is an initiative by Manipal hospital. Apparently for world heart day. So it was done to commemorate that and make Bengaluru a 'heart smart city' whatever that means

Link
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.jpg  

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th November 2022 at 20:40.
Old 7th November 2022, 22:34   #20414
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
It is an initiative by Manipal hospital. Apparently for world heart day. So it was done to commemorate that and make Bengaluru a 'heart smart city' whatever that means
It means :
Since the tech savvy people in bangalore are avid users of 'smartwatches' which monitor heartrate, blood pressure, blood oxygen etc... we have a steady influx of 'smart' heart patients - more than we could dream of. And we are busy filling our coffers. Poor souls haven't figured out that 'standard deviation' sigma numbers are needlessly "tightened" by the medical community as a whole, so that we get more patients. These 'software' chaps have the 'logic' to write code, but don't have the logic to figure out that such measured parameters in a population will always be a 'bell curve'. Actually the bell is fat and wide, but through medical councils of all kinds of names and forms, and through our favourite puppet, the WHO, we have ensured that the bell is made narrow and tall. We have secretly made the 'normal' readings of the various 'health parameters' be within a small statistical distribution (the narrow bell) , so that we have maximum 'patients' who are alarmed that their numbers are not-normal. Bangalore is already 'heart smart', our next target is small B towns and villages, where there aren't enough 'heart patients'. We have to get them to wear smartwatches.

Last edited by venkyhere : 7th November 2022 at 22:38.
venkyhere is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 20:51   #20415

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
That is a really informative and encouraging video . Hope they meet the deadlines especially the ORR and Airport ones.

Btw, where are these locations in the video?
1. At 8:31-8:35, a "green" road with railway underpass in the middle
2. At 10:03-10:10, the big Hanuman statue

I think those sections of the video are actually from the Delhi Metro.
santosh.puranik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks