Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2022, 20:29   #20371
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Always been the case during the Diwali week in Bangalore. The only time the city really feels emptied out.
If you want to visit a part of the city which you always wanted to go, but never did thinking of the traffic, this week is the time to do it.
That is exactly what I intend to do. I have a long pending bank work in Whitefield and this week I shall make the dreaded drive which would otherwise take me easily an hour and a half. Fingers crossed.

PS- Pre Diwali and post Diwali jams are seen at the KIAL airport, either for security queues or taxi queues while the city remains empty during this whole week.
Old 25th October 2022, 20:30   #20372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I was returning home on Sunday and going over Lingarajpuram flyover around 1 pm on 23rd. The whole thing on the direction going towards hennur was standstill traffic. We spent easily an hour trying to complete that flyover. Things didnt seem brighter even after the flyover so when we hit a slightly lower road divider, I took a U-turn (I knew my Creta would be able to climb over that, maybe not team TBHP-like behaviour but I had two very hungry children in the back) and went back towards the city, diverted to Banaswadi side and went home. Any idea what went on at that time in that area? I would like to know the reason.
Well, I was visiting Bangalore and happened to be in the spot that you have described.
I was stuck like you but was ahead of the jam and could see that some temple festival that has taken up one side of the road and the police turned up late to take control.
Finally after around 45 minutes of waiting, the traffic was regulated to flow from one side stopping the other.
The overbridge was oscillating so much when we were standstill my kids thought it was due to earthquake !!!
I saw a scotter guy doing what you mentioned but he lost control and let the scooter fly and hit the side wall of the flyover narrowly missing going oveboard or getting runover by BMTC bus.
I cannot imagine how you managed to climb over the low median even if it was creta !!
Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 21:11   #20373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
I cannot imagine how you managed to climb over the low median even if it was creta !!
Well, it was relatively easy but for the on-coming traffic. a little wheel spin but it was rather smooth overall. That was crazy standstill where you expect it least. I took the turn almost immediately as we hit the ground level where the meridian was about 3 inches I think
Old 26th October 2022, 14:24   #20374
BHPian

Quote:
Always been the case during the Diwali week in Bangalore. The only time the city really feels emptied out. Expect it to be similar for most of this week with tomorrow also being a holiday for schools and many companies.
While it was easily the best we have had this year in terms of traffic, it still didn't feel like 3-4 years ago when it would be fully emptied out. I suppose good amount of people stayed back in Bangalore for Diwali, also reflected at the market, shops, gold stores etc. Much more crowd than usual Diwali.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 14:55   #20375
Distinguished - BHPian

On Saturday, I started around 6:50AM from Bellandur. Took me 2.5 hrs to cross Attibele toll and ~4 hrs to cross Krishnagiri (90 kms). This traffic continued with me well beyond Coimbatore. It took me ~13 hrs of drive time for a 550 km trip. It was painful to say the least. Even before reaching my destination, I was dreading the return trip.

Yesterday on the return leg, afraid of the traffic, I started post noon so I reach Bangalore as late as possible. After dinner at A2B, Dharmapuri, I left at 9:30PM and was in Ballandur by 11:30, 2 hrs for 150 km stretch. The same 555 km trip on the return leg took 9 hrs only. My most peaceful entry into Bangalore ever.

My top speed throughout this whole trip was 110 kmph but only on the return leg, I could maintain the momentum.

Last edited by ashis89 : 26th October 2022 at 15:16.
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 15:41   #20376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
On Saturday, I started around 6:50AM from Bellandur. Took me 2.5 hrs to cross Attibele toll and ~4 hrs to cross Krishnagiri (90 kms). This traffic continued with me well beyond Coimbatore.
When starting from Belandur area, better to not go to Attibelle at all(Especially on such holiday weekends). You should do Sarjapur Road- Sarjapur - TN border- take right- Nallur- join the Bagalur Hosur road 2km from Hosur. You join the highway almost past Hosur town. There may be a small jam just before getting on to the highway at Hosur. Unless there are some unexpected jams, you should be past Hosur in max 1 hr starting from Belandur.

I was on this highway briefly between Hosur and Shoolagiri and it was like driving on ORR. So can imagine how bad it would have been.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 15:53   #20377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When starting from Belandur area, better to not go to Attibelle at all(Especially on such holiday weekends). You should do Sarjapur Road- Sarjapur - TN border- take right- Nallur- join the Bagalur Hosur road 2km from Hosur. You join the highway almost past Hosur town. There may be a small jam just before getting on to the highway at Hosur. Unless there are some unexpected jams, you should be past Hosur in max 1 hr starting from Belandur.
Thanks! I will do that the next time I step out in that direction. Things were rosy until E-City toll which I crossed in 20 mins. The whole drama started after Bommasandra when the next 10 kms were done in little more than 2 hrs.

Quote:
I was on this highway briefly between Hosur and Shoolagiri and it was like driving on ORR. So can imagine how bad it would have been.
And it continued till Palakkad
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 19:35   #20378
BANNED

Quote:
When starting from Belandur area, better to not go to Attibelle at all(Especially on such holiday weekends). You should do Sarjapur Road- Sarjapur - TN border- take right- Nallur- join the Bagalur Hosur road 2km from Hosur.
What is the state of the road ? Last I remember, the road all the way till Sarjapur police station junction, was in tatters (roadworks) , through sarjapur town as well, and until bagalur too.
So always check with someone the road surface, before taking the plunge. There are times, when I have gotten into such 'traffic avoidance' routes and cursed myself in a recursive loop for the abuse I subjected my car to. Moments when my mind was screaming at me : 'crawling on smooth tarmac' is better than 'this'.
So please check.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 22:15   #20379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
What is the state of the road ? Last I remember, the road all the way till Sarjapur police station junction, was in tatters (roadworks) , through sarjapur town as well, and until bagalur too.
So always check with someone the road surface, before taking the plunge. There are times, when I have gotten into such 'traffic avoidance' routes and cursed myself in a recursive loop for the abuse I subjected my car to. Moments when my mind was screaming at me : 'crawling on smooth tarmac' is better than 'this'.
So please check.
I would not make the suggestion if I did not know the conditions. That would be irresponsible of me. I personally drove the route I mentioned as recent as last Saturday and hence the suggestion. All roadworks in and around Sarjapur town are complete and apart from a few potholes just before the TN border, the roads are in great condition. Some patchy areas around dommasandra, but nothing alarming.

Of course, agree that traffic avoidance routes definitely needs to be cross checked.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 23:34   #20380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When starting from Belandur area, better to not go to Attibelle at all(Especially on such holiday weekends). You should do Sarjapur Road- Sarjapur - TN border- take right- Nallur- join the Bagalur Hosur road 2km from Hosur. You join the highway almost past Hosur town.
Instead of going to Hosur, one can go straight from Bagalur to Berigai and then turn right and reach Shoolagiri, just after the Mcd/CCD food court. There will be small sections with bad patches and the road passes through some narrow village roads. So, the best time to take this route is early mornings or late evenings.
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 09:34   #20381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
On Saturday, I started around 6:50AM from Bellandur. Took me 2.5 hrs to cross Attibele toll and ~4 hrs to cross Krishnagiri (90 kms).
I too started at ~ 7 30 AM on Saturday from Mahadevpura to reach Salem and took the Nallur route. Reached A2B Shoolagiri in 2 hours. It is a huge time saver on holiday weekends.

It is another matter that I got caught up in crazy traffic post Thoppur and it took more than 2 hours to go from Dharmapuri to Salem.
anandhsub is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 20:13   #20382
BHPian

I have to be in Jayanagar tomorrow evening and I will be going from Hennur side. what's the best route to take? through the city - hennur-lingarapuram- fraser town-MG road-diary circle and onwards or some other route?
Old 28th October 2022, 20:56   #20383
Senior - BHPian

Today I had to goto office at Sarjapur Road (from Hennur). Morning commute (left at 11:30) through ORR was peaceful, reached office in 1 hour.
Return (left at 5:15 pm) again through ORR, but narrow lanes due to Metro work at Marthahalli and between Kasturi Nagar & Ramamurthynagar was painful to pass through. Took 1:15 hrs to reach home.
Old 31st October 2022, 10:57   #20384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I have to be in Jayanagar tomorrow evening and I will be going from Hennur side. what's the best route to take? through the city - hennur-lingarapuram- fraser town-MG road-diary circle and onwards or some other route?
Took this route and overall was a good drive. Slow moving traffic but no standstill. Return around 10pm was peaceful again but for a 9+ mins delay near lingarajapuram flyover (near that school - forgot the name) due to ONE car stalled on the road
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:36   #20385
Distinguished - BHPian

After 10 days of peace, Bangalore traffic is back in form. Bellandur lake road is choked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks