Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2022, 19:38   #20266
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
I see people waiting and fidgeting for minutes before actually getting a chance to cross, but not using the skywalk. And this is in addition to the risk involved.
Anybody noticed similar trends across other areas?
Hebbal, the skywalk opposite Esteem Mall. If I remember right, this one was built after prolonged protests when a truck ran over a few pedestrians.

People were back to playing high-speed chicken not long after it was opened for service. Traffic is thick, often moving at a brisk clip, and what can happen is not a hypothetical at least at that particular spot.

Just yesterday, saw two men miss a speeding Innova by a whisker. One of those actually twirled his butt out of the way like it's a Bollywood movie, and shared a giggle with his friend as they both risked their lives.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th September 2022 at 19:40.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 19:51   #20267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

See this school bus that was driving on the wrong side last Friday afternoon. The driver was such a moron that when he saw me taking the pic, adjusted his hair, posed, and egged me to take more pics I have uploaded the pic on the BTP site as well. If anyone has contact with the Ryan school authorities around the Bellandur/Sarjapur area, please forward the pic to them.
I believe you are on the service lane/road of the ORR. In some cities/highways, the service lanes are officially allowed for dual direction travel (and a few even have clear markings too - for example I have seen so in Ahmedabad). I'm not aware what's the ruling for the ORR service lanes but I believe most people consider it okay to drive in both directions in service lane/road; and hence probably the confidence of the bus driver.

Not saying he's correct but unless there are clear signs stating the service lane are uni-directional (/one-way), there will always be people like the bus and 2-wheelers who will confidently drive in the opposite direction; especially if their movement in the opposite direction is for a short section.

Edit: Seems like service roads on the ORR are also 2-way as per this post by @hemanth.anand.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th September 2022 at 19:56.
Old 26th September 2022, 20:33   #20268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Edit: Seems like service roads on the ORR are also 2-way as per this post by @hemanth.anand.
All the service roads on ORR from KR Puram to Silk board are one way, although a few stretches (like Marathalli to kartik nagar) are one way in the opposite direction, which is a bit confusing as there is no proper boards where the one way direction changes.

Most of them were marked as one way years ago, and a few remaining ones were done after the bus lane was started.
Old 26th September 2022, 21:10   #20269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe you are on the service lane/road of the ORR. In some cities/highways, the service lanes are officially allowed for dual direction travel (and a few even have clear markings too - for example I have seen so in Ahmedabad). I'm not aware what's the ruling for the ORR service lanes but I believe most people consider it okay to drive in both directions in service lane/road; and hence probably the confidence of the bus driver.

Not saying he's correct but unless there are clear signs stating the service lane are uni-directional (/one-way), there will always be people like the bus and 2-wheelers who will confidently drive in the opposite direction; especially if their movement in the opposite direction is for a short section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
All the service roads on ORR from KR Puram to Silk board are one way, although a few stretches (like Marathalli to kartik nagar) are one way in the opposite direction, which is a bit confusing as there is no proper boards where the one way direction changes.

Most of them were marked as one way years ago, and a few remaining ones were done after the bus lane was started.
This particular stretch is clearly marked as one-way and there are cops stationed there many times. While ignorance of the law is also not an excuse, this is a clear case of violation.
Old 27th September 2022, 07:02   #20270
Distinguished - BHPian

Avoid the CBD and related roads for the next few days for the Presidential visit:

https://www.timesnownews.com/bengalu...ticle-94449033
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 10:00   #20271
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Avoid the CBD and related roads for the next few days for the Presidential visit:

https://www.timesnownews.com/bengalu...ticle-94449033
Ah, no wonder there are cops lined up every street around this area since yesterday. Yes definitely avoid. Last time the central home minister was passing by (early Aug), my home was cordoned off on all sides (roads on both sides were closed up) and we couldn't even drive back to our apartment for over an hour. We had to wait outside 1MG mall from 12am to 1am for the Home minister convoy to pass that area.
Old 27th September 2022, 12:00   #20272
BHPian

Quote:
Ah, no wonder there are cops lined up every street around this area since yesterday. Yes definitely avoid. Last time the central home minister was passing by (early Aug), my home was cordoned off on all sides (roads on both sides were closed up) and we couldn't even drive back to our apartment for over an hour. We had to wait outside 1MG mall from 12am to 1am for the Home minister convoy to pass that area.
This babudom is so irritating. Why should civilians be troubled for hours for just a VIP passing? Just cordon off the sections they are going to pass 20 mins prior to the motorcade to pass. I think they are slowing trying to do this but it should be more effective and general public should not be disadvantaged only because VIPs are moving.
gtonsing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 12:22   #20273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Why should civilians be troubled for hours for just a VIP passing? Just cordon off the sections they are going to pass 20 mins prior to the motorcade to pass.
No, no let more 'VIPs' visit Bangalore and let them travel all over the city! You see, that's the only time the BBMP acts quickly (literally overnight) and repairs the roads that the 'VVIP' will use. Of course they don't last for very long after the 'VVVIP' has used them. But still, even this is something great for us Bangaloreans who are used to much, much worse as far as roads are concerned!
Old 27th September 2022, 12:30   #20274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing
Just cordon off the sections they are going to pass 20 mins prior to the motorcade to pass. I think they are slowing trying to do this but it should be more effective and general public should not be disadvantaged only because VIPs are moving.
From what I understand the traffic police is already doing this. They do have an approximate time for the VIP movement, they do a recce of the routes a couple of days before. Though posting of the men (and women) is done in advance, the actual blocking/cordoning the roads is only done around 20 mins prior. Heavy Vehicles are disallowed around 30 mins before. That is because removing them from the road if they get broken down is more time consuming (especially dumper trucks, BMTC buses etc.). We must also understand that in any city in India identifying a perfect lean time for VIP movements during day time is pretty much an impossibility.
Old 27th September 2022, 13:56   #20275
Senior - BHPian

This ‘VIP’ culture has simply got to stop. It is ridiculous that the Tax paying public who are trying to go about their business legitimately, are inconvenienced just because some elected representative in government or bureaucrat or governmental appointee is visiting a particular town or city.

Saying the above, yes indeed it is a temporarily nice feeling when the BBMP and similar corrupt authorities repair the roads which are going to be used by the so called VIP visitor. Hence it seems nice to encourage more of these VIP’s to visit us.

But this whole premise is so culturally and logically topsy turvy and absolutely wrong.

We pay our taxes and the very least we can expect from the government is proper facilities for which we have already paid!

Why should we taxpayers always continue to meekly accept what these corrupt officials and authorities casually mete out to us?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th September 2022 at 13:57.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 14:21   #20276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This ‘VIP’ culture has simply got to stop.
But this whole premise is so culturally and logically topsy turvy and absolutely wrong.

Why should we taxpayers always continue to meekly accept what these corrupt officials and authorities casually mete out to us?
Completely agree. And in relatively peaceful cities like Bangalore, security should not be much of a concern (as opposed to J&K or some of the North east states where people are barred from the roads hours in advance - risk of IEDs, bombs being hurled, sniper fire etc are high - actually in 'known areas' combing operations are performed weeks in advance to avoid untoward incidents) and while the traffic police is doing as much as they can, the fact that VIPs of the political kind are in power because of the people they inconvenience by these situations - and they should understand. In this regard, Arvind Kejriwal's initial days as CM of Delhi is commendable - using his own car etc.
Why cant security be beefed up invisibly and vehicular traffic stopped only during the specific time the motorcade passes - like they do in the US and other countries?
Come to think of it, our peoples' representatives are so protected that they alienate themselves from the people they represent (although I know its not really in their hands).
But we can rant, right?
Old 27th September 2022, 17:12   #20277
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a peaceful journey to CBD & back today. Timing was perfect to reach earlier than the President start time and come back before her return to Raj Bhavan.

Looks like yesterday evening was bad though:
https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...ru-2502265.amp
Old 27th September 2022, 19:26   #20278
BANNED

Rather than asking "how to conduct cordoning off of roads most efficiently when VIP/VVIP visits" , the even more basic (can sound foolish) Q to ask is ?

- why does a V(V)IP need to travel through cordoned off roads ? If the issue is 'security' just travel un-announced through roads, or via helicopter.
- why does the V(V)IP need to see hundreds of banners and flex boards, and party flags, all along the route he is travelling ? why ? to boost his/her already himalayan ego to stratospheric levels ?
- how did this culture of 'cordoning off' originate ? is it because JFK was murdered whilst in an open top car ?

The entire thing is nonsense. This is a problem that should never have existed in the first place. Let the V(V)IP know what it is to be a common man, let him/her travel through the maddening traffic jam. Why are we taking it for granted that the V(V)IP's time is more important than ours ? It may seem a silly Q to ask, but if we ponder deeper, there is no reason why their time should be more valuable than ours. No, there isn't a valid reason. There simply isn't.

Last edited by venkyhere : 27th September 2022 at 19:28.
venkyhere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 07:58   #20279
Distinguished - BHPian

Time they built a permanent helipad at Raj Bhavan.

All VVIP visits can then be coordinated between KIAL, HAL, Jakkur Aerodrome, E-City, Palace Grounds etc. Even the Taj Vivanta next to Cubbon Park can be used.

Will spare us mango people from the miseries.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 08:33   #20280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

All VVIP visits can then be coordinated between KIAL, HAL, Jakkur Aerodrome, E-City, Palace Grounds etc. Even the Taj Vivanta next to Cubbon Park can be used.

Will spare us mango people from the miseries.
There is no Taj Vivanta near Cubbon Park

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks