Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2022, 21:32   #20116
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellip5i5 View Post
The future seems bleak too with there being no bidders for the peripheral ring road across two rounds of bidding.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le65845137.ece
With the level of corruption and this much publicised alleged 40% bribe culture, I don’t wonder there are no bidders. Look at that Inner ring road Kendriya Sadan to Ejipura Flyover project. It’s been sitting there since 2017. And zero movement.
Karnataka needs another leader of the caliber and vision of S M Krishna. Only then perhaps there will be a ray of hope.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 23:10   #20117
BHPian

Thinking loud a related question. Is it safe to drive an EV (either a MG ZS EV or a Nexon EV or the like) in this flood situation, let's say if the flood levels are similar to other cars exhaust level. I'm rethinking on my EV shopping plans as a Bangalorean.

Last edited by aby.sam : 6th September 2022 at 23:10. Reason: typo corrected.
Old 6th September 2022, 23:54   #20118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby.sam View Post
Thinking loud a related question. Is it safe to drive an EV (either a MG ZS EV or a Nexon EV or the like) in this flood situation, let's say if the flood levels are similar to other cars exhaust level. I'm rethinking on my EV shopping plans as a Bangalorean.
Actually it's the other way around. An EV is far safer to drive through flood waters because there is no exhaust pipe and the battery + motor is sealed and has IP67 protection.

Of course it's not advisable to drive through flood waters because your door seals are not water proof plus the engine bay area. Even the charge port is pretty securely closed in a ZS EV for a short water wading session.

I am actually looking forward to take delivery of my EV because with my i10 I had couple of narrow escapes in the last 2 days of bangalore floods.
shyampsunder is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 00:14   #20119
Distinguished - BHPian

So what's the latest on the Ecospace situation? Has water reduced to traverse through safely or is it still the same? Have to head to office again and thinking of what to do.
Old 7th September 2022, 00:31   #20120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
How can I achieve this in an automatic?
Can't ride the clutch in an automatic transmission car. So my strategy is to wait for the water flooded road in front to be clear of other vehicles. Usually on such flooded road people drive single file. I wait till the vehicle in front of me has driven a sufficient distance. I then barrel through at a steady pace. The idea is that there should be no need to stop midway on the water and release the accelerator pedal.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 00:58   #20121
Senior - BHPian

Well, coming to think of it, although slightly OT, those cars that are submerged, few will get totalled whilst few will get repaired. From here onwards, pre-owned route is going to be a dangerous affair and prospective buyers should keep an eye out for those cars that'll be amidst the population.
Old 7th September 2022, 07:18   #20122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The stretch from Yemalur junction till CGI continues to be closed due to flooding.
Yemalur road is open now.

Last edited by ashis89 : 7th September 2022 at 07:20.
Old 7th September 2022, 07:21   #20123
BHPian

I never realized how poorly Bangalore is designed till I left India, initially to England and then to Oman. The master planners actually have projections for population growth(good guesses) and have to provision for lands, roads, water electricity. Traffic studies and growth projections that enable the town planning authorities to plan and design the city.

When the local authorities are unable to plan, you hire external agencies or consultants to provide for the gap in knowledge.

What happen in Bangalore(good guess) is that BDA/BBMP projects are designed to fail. Then the authorities can ‘upgrade’ the infrastructure again and again. This is a form of corruption because the money is spent and skimmed off again and again. The lazy authorities have also held back Bangalore by a good 15 years in term of infrastructure by not planning for the future at all.

There is no questioning the wastage of the tax payers money. This form of thinking has permeated it way into land use and town planning.Brand new layouts have roads that are congested, no space for footpaths.

Coming to the flooding problem, the city of Bangalore was on a plateau of sorts with flooding plains and lakes surrounding the plateau. The plateau was developed as the city by Kempegowda. The lakes were killed and flooding planes are developed by the previous and the present government. When we receive record rains all the flooding plains with buildings flood. The older parts of the city have fared better than the newer parts because of this.

Bangalore is the case of killing the golden egg laying goose. The highest tax paying city in India has the most poorly designed city. Bangalore is the record holder for the worst traffic in the World.
Mafia is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 07:25   #20124
BHPian

Slightly off the topic. I saw a series of cars stranded on the road with water damage. I am wondering if EV's will be having a better water wading capacity compared to ICE's?
Old 7th September 2022, 08:03   #20125
Senior - BHPian

Very sad to read the papers.
1. A number of deaths of innocent people from electrocution, caused by water logging.
2. Seriously big time people ( Corporate Heads) suffering like this in inundated homes after having paid their taxes honestly and invested their hard earned tax paid money in their homes and trappings like cars. We all know the kind of road taxes we pay in Bangalore.
3. We talk of moving the whole of India to EVs and all. I wonder what sort of dangers EVs will pose to the passengers when being forced to wade through such waters. Remember we aren’t talking Jeep Wrangler 4XE here. It’s more the normal common people type EV’s.
4. This is a very serious issue and the public and media outcry has been and will continue to be immense. I do hope the authorities will initiate the corrective measures and clean up once this disaster is past.

I read the papers and am also able to detect a tone of unhealthy relish, in reporting the misfortune of these people. The sadness is that in India, when it comes to a ‘who will blink first’ contest between normal people and these authorities, it is always the normal people who end up ‘blinking first’, because of all the various other day to day pressures and deliverables and this is what allows these authorities to continue their inefficiencies and corruption with near complete impunity.

I don’t like being pessimistic. But in this case, I am really very disheartened. After all, as an honest common tax payer, what do I get in return?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th September 2022 at 08:05.
shankar.balan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 08:13   #20126
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone's drowned G20. Looks like a 320D Luxury Line. Possibly drivable though unless water has entered from the exhaust pipes.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_mod.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2022 at 20:07. Reason: Image edited - political
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 08:28   #20127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Someone's drowned G20. Looks like a 320D Luxury Line. Possibly drivable though unless water has entered from the exhaust pipes.
Water was till its window sill. I could see some water inside the headlight too. I doubt it can be salvaged easily. It has been lying at the spot for the past 3 days.

I clicked it earlier today during my walk but now I realise the pic was shaken. I can try another click tomorrow if the car is still there.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20220907_063617.jpg

Last edited by ashis89 : 7th September 2022 at 08:30.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 08:36   #20128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
4. This is a very serious issue and the public and media outcry has been and will continue to be immense. I do hope the authorities will initiate the corrective measures and clean up once this disaster is past.
Unfortunately this is not going to happen. People will forget within a week and the same people who suffered will start looking out for their next property to invest.

I can already see a large section of people have started posting stuff like - 'only 25% of Bangalore is flooded, it's not that bad', 'if you don't like it here then shut your *** and move out because we love our city' etc. Most people are of the opinion that this is a natural disaster and are ignorant of the fact that this is entirely man made.

Sadly we bangaloreans are so good at 'swalpa adjust madkoli' attitude that we will easily adjust to this and move on until it happens again. I wish to be proven wrong here
nagr22 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 08:53   #20129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Water was till its window sill. I could see some water inside the headlight too. I doubt it can be salvaged easily. It has been lying at the spot for the past 3 days.
Very true. It was visible in a WA clip doing the rounds. Screenshot below:
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20220907085225__01.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 7th September 2022 at 08:55.
Old 7th September 2022, 09:22   #20130
BHPian

Took my i20 CVT through knee deep water that I didnt notice till I was in the middle of it near Aaxis Hospital in Kadugodi yesterday. Somehow the car didn't stall and the water getting into the exhaust made scary gurgling sounds. Turned off the AC and never turned off the engine for the next 30 minutes or so and cleaned the debris from radiator grille after the exit. Automatic climate control was acting funky today but all seems to be working as of now. Thank my stars for moving out of Bellandur in August as with basement flooding it would have been a total loss by now, something I was paranoid about the entire time it rained.
On anther note, the encroachment issue is so real here, even brands like Godrej keep attempting construction on lakebeds or buffer zones. Godrej reflections is already under NGT crosshairs. and they have started Godrej Splendor by reclaiming a lake bed apparently. Two days of rains later I can see the Yele Mallappa Shetty Lake bed has already doubled up in size extending to all these so called "reclaimed areas" or buffer zones. Prestige is starting a Park Grove, again barely 50-100m away from a smaller lake bed. People still dont care buying flats without bothering of encroachments, drainage etc even with Premium builders who charge a bomb. The obscure to be made out havens like Epsilon, relatively visible Divyashree 77 degree etc., all have suffered similar fates already despite the richest living there. Just wonder what will save apartment dwellers then ?
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/94037323.cms

Last edited by AppyS : 7th September 2022 at 09:36.
AppyS is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks