Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2022, 01:32   #19891
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
... Can we officially declare 30th August,2022 as the worst traffic day of Bangalore in 2022?
Worst traffic day of 2022, so far.

*shudders*
Chetan_Rao is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 09:26   #19892
BHPian

Looks like water logging is still there in front of ecospace

https://twitter.com/hsrltrafficps/st...0Fhgs6oTw&s=19
sairamboko is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 09:28   #19893
BHPian

This is atrocious. Looks like the EcoWorld and EcoSpace are a complete mess. There is nothing "Eco" about those places
searacer932 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 09:33   #19894
BHPian

They should look at the topography of the land and leave out water ways when planning buildings. East Bengaluru being a flat area will not have enough valleys and hills like South West side to drain out water in hours or a day.

With climate change and extreme events here to stay, not sure if we will change or keep wasting time and money every year from now on. Really feel bad for people who have flooding inside their houses

But its not just isolated to India. We have been seeing floods in other advanced countries, where too planning just seems to be enough for not so extreme events.

Like Metro, we should start building all roads elevated
PreludeSH is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 09:37   #19895
Distinguished - BHPian

Brave soul
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20220831093311.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 09:46   #19896
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post

Like this comment to the tweet explains:

https://twitter.com/varunnair07/stat...0rN2y_ZVg&s=19

The Saul Kere lake which was rejuvenated maybe 5-6 years back and has been slowly getting filled. I think this is the first time the lake is actually completely full and started overflowing. Ideally the overflow should go into Belandur Lake, but the drain that actually goes under ORR is blocked and encroached. On top of that Bellandur Lake is also full. So water coming from Saul Kere has nowhere to go other than on the ORR.

As the comment says, as long as Saul Kere remains full and overflows, ORR will remain flooded. I don't think there is a short term solution. If the rains continue over the next 2 days we will be in further trouble.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2022 at 12:08. Reason: Correcting 2 more typos
Rajeevraj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 10:00   #19897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
As the comment says, as long as Saul Kere remains full and overflows, ORR will remain flooded.
Thank you for speaking reality. The broader reality is that we lost the inter connectivity that existed between carefully designed 600 odd man made lakes- thanks to visionary leaders like Kempegowda. On top, we've only 1/10th of those lakes today- rest all encroached. Majority of those are premium real estate or IT parks.

This situation is beyond critical on marathahally- hsr stretch because, there are three to 4 major lakes, which has shrunken substantially, and lost the intermediate small ones. Varthur lane is the lowest here and that needs to receive the excess from Bellandur lake, and then the excess flows to TN.

Bottom line is, no point asking authorities to solve the flooding. Only way out is to broaden the lakes and channels, which means those who ask are the ones to let go their properties.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2022 at 12:09. Reason: Quoted post edited
WhiteKnight is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 10:03   #19898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
No amount of planning is going to rescue Bangalore's collapsed administration. We are beyond the stage where we keep talking of 'bad planning'. No Metro, no Peripheral Ring Road, no Solar System Orbital Road is going to solve anything. There are far too many private vehicles. Only dire solutions will work.
  1. Massive expansion of bus fleet and feeder services using smaller buses into smaller roads. Get more people into public transport.
  2. Experiment with Odd / Even
This and a robust Suburban railway network on the existing IR Rail network. The current suburban trains are hardly available at the right time, they are just for name sake. This needs to be scaled up So that people from nearby towns to have access.

Regarding buses, I see a reverse trend. Back in 2012-14, there were a lot of buses on the road. Now due to BMTCs situation I see that the frequency of buses are reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
This is what happens when roads are built on former lakes/canals without considering the consequences

Unfortunately nothing will be done about it and we will be back with even bigger rant when this happens again next year!
So True! Almost in all areas this is the condition. Most of the apartment buyers are not even aware that they are living on a ticking bomb. Even near Kalkere, these builders have filled up a huge lake+ storm water drain and slowly all hell is breaking loose.

I think controlled development is the key now. Bangalore is almost unliveable now compared to 2000s or 2010s. Only job opportunities are there but if the rest of the parameters of living are cumbersome, then it doesn't make sense. The tree cover has reduced to just 5% compared to 64% in 2008.
jithin23 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 10:07   #19899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post

Last night's brief but heavy downpour would have added to pool.

BTW, the traffic on the roads is very less today. The Bellandur lake road is almost deserted. Whether it's the public holiday or the fear of being stuck yesterday which is keeping people out of the roads, it is good.

On another note, Govt. had advised schools to remain closed yesterday and as such, the school buses didn't add to the misery. I can't imagine the plight if school going children would have been stuck in their buses in the traffic pileup.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 10:20   #19900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

As the comment says, as long as Saul Kere remains full and overflows, ORR wil remains flooded. I don't think there is a short term solution. If the rains continue over the next 2 days we will be in further trouble.
Just to add, nice visualisation by Mapper Raj Bhagat on the lakes, valley topography and water flows in the ORR Sarjapur Road area.

https://twitter.com/rajbhagatt/statu...ecWqg1_ng&s=19
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 10:41   #19901
BHPian

After 8yrs in Bangalore i recently moved back to Mumbai/Pune, sold off my apartment which was situated in the yemalur/bellandur area, was in two minds initially about moving out but the above situation makes me feel i took the right decision.

I had already seen instance of basement flooding even in premium apartments in the neighborhood, wondering what is the situation in my ex apartment as we already had some concerns and had a few touch and go situations.

Hearing similar stories from friends in Whitefield area as well, basements flooded, cars floating, no electricity.

Really pains to see what's happening in Bangalore, i truly believe with the climate, people and opportunities available here it could easily be the best city in India save for these infrastructure issues.
Gaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 11:25   #19902
BHPian

All of you talking about the ORR and I had a different but equally horrible experience. Had to catch the train from majestic on Monday night. Booked an OLA auto - in hope of evading traffic. That my bum was drenched from the soaking wet sponge in the seat was a different story. ( Bajaj Wind 125 ad anyone - damn I am old!)

Started at 8:50 PM
Arekere to Bilekehalli Signal - 40 Minutes. ( this is a topic of rant for another day)
Bilekahalli Signal to Vega City -10 Minutes
Vega City to Santhosh Theater via Jayanagar, JC Road - 20 Mins
Santhosh theater to SBC front gate -15 Mins.

Result- Missed the Train - Schedule Departure 9:50 PM. Actual departure 10:10PM

I blame myself for not anticipating the traffic. But what got my goat was the pathetic road in front of the station - just bloody potholes? I mean it's one of the busiest and most important railway stations in south India. The road is pathetic and the repair work even more so. The same is the case with major bus stands. Not the airport of course - that is a smooth road. Somewhere this reeks of complete apathy and dare I say ignoring the real aam admi of the city? The number of people using the railway stations and bus stands on a single day would rival those using the airport in a month. Yet nobody caters to them?

11 years of living in Bangalore, and I see the city is just slipping into an abyss. Folks can complain of the influx of population etc, but the biggest culprits are the incredibly inept (even by Indian standards ) administration and those joke of agencies - BDA, BBMP and the idiots who are voted to power. Worst part - this inefficiency and ineptitude is bereft of party colours and is simply party agnostic.

I am getting tired of this city now. It drains my energy.

PS: I deliberately resisted comparing with any other cities due to two reasons, 1)Comparisons make even the most level headed people to react defensively, 2)The city has detiorated beyond levels of comparison.
sai_ace is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 11:43   #19903
BHPian

High time for at least the IT folks to prioritise health, clean air, water, peace and some "me time" over the urban lifestyle and the glamour associated with it (if any?). There is no point in continuing the rat race in traffic, office, official lunches, get togethers, sky rocketing real estate prices and rentals, peer pressure, etc..

Covid has taught a lot of lessons, if we want to see through and act, until its too late. In the end, it's your family and health that matters. All the office gimmicks, team building jokes, being the darling of the boss, get togethers and stuff mean nothing when you are finally down after going through all/most of the above on a daily basis. People are easily replaceable. As long as you are productive and abide by the expectations set by your org, remote working is the one best thing that you could do for yourself and your family.

Last edited by jeeva : 31st August 2022 at 11:51.
jeeva is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 11:50   #19904
BHPian

I agree with am1m's comments on this. the inhuman top management folks at the mass recruiter indian MNCs sit their behinds somewhere in the US/UK and bark orders to the obedient Indian management which they promptly follow without any thought of whats going on locally. Most often than not, HR gets their orders from someone sitting in Gurugram and they convey. I am glad i made the switch to VLSI from Procurement during the pandemic (am a ECE graduate) and love the work, career and financial development all done without going a day to office! Product based companies in VLSI/Electronics have not yet called back to office considering they get more business done at home

I havent been going to office at all and doing WFH since Mar 2020, ignored most office communication emails in even my latest switch to collect the laptop. Asked them to deliver it instead. Here i am, a "biker" with only a liking for touring or breakfast rides. I am sure many with only a Himalayan as their city/highway commuter and no car like me will understand what it means to commute 30 km with that engine ON in crawling traffic. channel that heat away and voila! Steaming hot Idly and vade ready for breakfast!
100Kmphormore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 11:56   #19905
BHPian

If not the worst, Bangalore has one of the worst infrastructure for a global city. Unplanned or idiot planned infrastructure has continued to plague this city for many years now. Unlike other cities, Bangalore is relatively young and had every ample opportunity to have been groomed into a well planned global city. But greed and lack of political willpower has ensured the city is beyond redemption at this point. The only good thing about this city is its pleasant climate throughout the year (the disastrous outcomes of the rain are completely man made), god knows how long that will last given the growing pollution and rampant unplanned urbanization of the city.

Last edited by moralfibre : 31st August 2022 at 21:47. Reason: Please spell check your posts before submitting them.
SR-71 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks