Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2022, 11:00   #19756
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

A warning from ex-commissioner about the concrete roads:

Quote:
Beware Bengaluru motorists especially 2 wheelers, the concrete roads in our city have Algae, maintainence matters, and despite your best tyres will skid , be careful…..
https://twitter.com/Nimmabhaskar22/s...d4N_Cx87xQAqmg
sanjaykk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 13:04   #19757
BHPian

With metro construction going on everywhere there was another risk showing up.

I was in the carpool last week on a XUV500, in the Bellandur ORR. Somewhere before the Sarjapur flyover, a screwdriver went into the rear tyre. It went in from the road contact patch and came out from the inner sidewall. And then it started hitting somewhere in the underbody, at every rotation.

The main scare was if it will rip the brake lines, before we could stop somewhere on the side, considering the jam packed traffic.

Finally reached a puncture repair in HSR and replaced with the stepney.

Last edited by fordday : 22nd July 2022 at 13:05. Reason: added info
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 14:13   #19758
BHPian

So new developments seen in one of the few areas that was not touched by Namma Metro.
I am talking about HSR layout. Up until now, HSR generally was free of the digging up issues that have plagued the entire city. There was an oddity around the Bandepalya police station and still is, but HSR seemingly was less prone to adventures by the guv departments.
I saw Namma metro boards all along the 19th Main road in HSR today with road dug up on one side. The digging was quite limited and only about 3 to 4 feet wide. So I am not sure what metro folks are trying to do here.
Was metro lines through HSR even part of the larger metro plan for Bangalore? I don't recall.
ShreyG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 14:44   #19759
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday morning I saw a new traffic diversion on old Madras road between Kensington road junction and the Bharat Petroleum bunk near Lakshmipuram cemetery junction. Traffic heading from Ulsoor lake towards Indiranagar was diverted onto the opposite lanes. I saw concrete median blocks placed across the road at both ends, my best guess was this stretch will undergo white topping. Needless to say, traffic was horrible on old Madras road due to this new arrangement.
Traffic from Indiranagar side was being diverted to go towards Ulsoor by denying them the right turn (left only at Lakshmipuram cemetery/Bharat Petroleum bunk signal).

Last edited by NPV : 22nd July 2022 at 14:45.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 14:49   #19760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
I saw Namma metro boards all along the 19th Main road in HSR today with road dug up on one side. The digging was quite limited and only about 3 to 4 feet wide. So I am not sure what metro folks are trying to do here.
Was metro lines through HSR even part of the larger metro plan for Bangalore? I don't recall.
Probably one of the other 'digging agencies' just borrowed the Namma Metro barricades. . There is no plan for the Metro within HSR Layout.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 20:30   #19761
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone knows why NHAI is unable to complete a simple underpass on KIAL expressway at the Sadahalli junction? It started off as a simple 'magic box' like the others, but is now stillborn for the last many years.

It raises my hackles every time I drive past!
Old 22nd July 2022, 20:39   #19762
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Anyone knows why NHAI is unable to complete a simple underpass on KIAL expressway at the Sadahalli junction?...
Declared 'unscientific', denied permission by NHAI and Police at different points in time because it would disrupt traffic for 'Pravasi Bhartiya Diwas' and the biennial 'Aero India', or a planned pedestrian overpass.

Take your pick.

Why can't they get their ducks in order before they start digging? Jokers!

News Article
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 21:33   #19763
Senior - BHPian

This height barrier (location) was repaired after previous hits, but it seems again vehicle drivers are not paying enough attention. Reflective stickers are provided, but vehicle crashed at least twice recently
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-hb2.jpg  

airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 22:53   #19764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Reflective stickers are provided, but vehicle crashed at least twice recently
How would a fire fighter or an ambulance get through that, in case?
balenoed_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 23:03   #19765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
How would a fire fighter or an ambulance get through that, in case?
Alternate routes are available. Similar height barriers are also present near HAL market and HAL hospital.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 06:42   #19766
BHPian

Traveled in OAR yesterday after nearly 2 years (Old Airport Rd). The underpass at Surajandas Rd junction seemed halted after completing midway, with no work progressing for long. And the one at Wind Tunnel Rd junction was worse, that project seemed to be canned. Absolutely no progress at all.

What's the deal with these two projects?

And what about the Koramangala Ejipura elevated road project?
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 08:51   #19767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
The underpass at Surajandas Rd junction seemed halted after completing midway, with no work progressing for long.
There is progress here, and in the early days of pandemic it was quite fast too. I think what they are doing currently is widen the surface-level, eastbound carriageway of OA Road (from Bangalore One till HAL Sports Club) so that it can be used for traffic going both ways. My expectation is that once this is done, they will be in a position to demolish the last bit that blocks the below-surface carriageways (the strip of road taken by traffic from Marathahalli to CV Raman Nagar / from CV Raman Nagar to Murugesh Palya) and lay a span there instead.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 13:32   #19768
BHPian

On Saturday, 23rd July, I drove from HSR to Bhartiya City Mall and back. Even though I started around 11am, the road and traffic were a mess. At so many places the ORR is reduced to narrow lanes and coupled with poor top layer of the road, erratic BMTC buses and the ever moving lorries within the city, it is truly a nightmare. The 30km onward journey took about 1hr 40mins.

However, the highlight (or lowlight) of the trip was that around Kalyan Nagar stretch, the ORR opened up a bit, there were no barricades etc and people had a relatively free road ahead. As soon as you thought of giving it some 'gas', there was a BTP speeding radar setup and BTP was issuing challans with a vengeance. Such vindictive and spiteful attitude really got my goat. Though I wasn't speeding and hence was not stopped, I shudder to think how villainous these folks are, rubbing salt to open wounds of the public.
drive2eternity is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 16:07   #19769
Distinguished - BHPian

Everytime I wonder if I'm just being too lazy or OCD planning my trips around places easily accessible by Metro and adamantly sticking only to jobs that offer remote work. Or when the older, wiser heads on the "WFH" thread tell people like me we're just not being ambitious enough with our careers and we need to be jumping for those high-visibility roles in the office, I just look at the way the posts on this thread have been rising post-covid. (And of course the reality I see on Bangalore roads each time I do go out.) And I think it's ok, works for me. There is a lot more to life than being stuck in Bangalore traffic for 2 hours a day. (And I've done that for several years!) I'm ok missing out on some things if it means I can avoid going back to that nightmare.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 16:25   #19770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
As soon as you thought of giving it some 'gas', there was a BTP speeding radar setup and BTP was issuing challans with a vengeance. Such vindictive and spiteful attitude really got my goat. Though I wasn't speeding and hence was not stopped, I shudder to think how villainous these folks are, rubbing salt to open wounds of the public.
Going OT, but why & how is that vindictive, villanous and spiteful? It is not like BTP alone created the traffic mess or setup a free path to issue tickets They are just doing one of their work.

Just yesterday one cop was in my area (surprise) and caught me riding without a helmet (I went to pickup milk). I had to cough up the fine amount and move on. He maybe made up more than his quota as nobody expects a cop to be in a residential area

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks