Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2022, 09:33   #19516
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Traffic is banned for all vehicles on Peenya elevated highway from 12.00 AM to 5 AM on all days!

As per BTP, this is because during these hours, heavy vehicles inadvertently enter the flyover and the height barriers were getting damaged.

report here: https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/90176427.cms
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 09:33   #19517
Distinguished - BHPian

For whatever it is worth:

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...t-1092056.html

Bengaluru roads most hazardous in Karnataka, says CAG report
Old 17th March 2022, 22:54   #19518
Senior - BHPian

With offices finally opening up after two years and calling employees back, there's been a sudden influx of people relocating to Bangalore (YourStory report)

Quote:
For the past couple of days, there has been a substantial increase in the number of people taking to social media and announcing that they're moving to Bangalore - and the numbers have been so astounding, that "moving to Bangalore" has been trending on and off on Twitter India.
Old 17th March 2022, 23:07   #19519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
With offices finally opening up after two years and calling employees back, there's been a sudden influx of people relocating to Bangalore (YourStory report)
Well, with whatever has opened right now with respect to companies on the ORR, the road is almost full to the brim. Have been visiting office weekly for a change and I am noticing a steady increase. However I am still managing a <1hr commute both ways. Due to the lesser width on the ORR now, there is somewhat 75-80% of road occupancy going by the gap. If it increases further, then the ORR will reach its critical mass and explode back to the days of the endless traffic jams. The Metro groundwork is still a few months away from clearing the occupied area so its a bad idea for companies especially between Bellandur and Marathahalli to call back people. Guess they will get brickbats from everywhere in a few weeks and then repeat WFH move.

Whitefield on the other hand has been bliss. I can engage cruise control between SAP labs and Vydehi and relax. Most of the metro ground work is complete and companies here can actually consider starting work back in office. But ORR, is a definite no.

And I also got to trample three bollards which appeared out of nowhere and joined the bus drivers in this horrible act. But the situation was very pressing and I had no other choice though. Metro guys had removed a stretch of bollards since they had invaded into whatever was left out of the common man's lane, and there was a two wheeler to the right of my car and an auto rickshaw in front. The bollards began again abruptly and the auto made a Ninja move to the bus lane and I had these bollards in front of my car. Since I was in my Crysta, no ninja moves were possible to safeguard the two wheeler on the right and I ended up slowing down trampling the bollards. No damage taken by both parties(bollard and my car).

Last edited by audioholic : 17th March 2022 at 23:11.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 08:24   #19520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
...so its a bad idea for companies especially between Bellandur and Marathahalli to call back people. Guess they will get brickbats from everywhere in a few weeks and then repeat WFH move.
This is what I have been wondering, even on this thread, since that Metro line was announced. It was always pretty obvious that given the already horrible traffic on this stretch, the Metro construction was going to make things exponentially worse. Why companies want their employees to go through this misery first before the eventual roll-back to WFH/hybrid, I don't understand. There's no way that reduced road width will handle pre-covid levels of traffic. Unless people think the benefits of in-person interactions at work are worth 2 hours one way in traffic to get there!

Last edited by am1m : 18th March 2022 at 08:32.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 10:40   #19521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
...I don't understand...
Simple. The decision-makers don't care about traffic. The ones within companies are chauffered in their swanky cars while (mem)sahib works from the back seat, and they commute at flexible hours to avoid the worst of it. Those that own the buildings, will rarely step foot in it anyway. Powers that be can always block traffic to come through, so where's the incentive to care, when the opposite is worth truckloads of money?

Even those that rose through the ranks and have known how uncomfortable an hours-long summer commute in a rickety company cab with several others, a wonky AC and jarring ride can be, have lost touch now that they don't have to suffer through it. Let's leave the horrors of monsoon season commuting for when it arrives.

Long, tiring, pointless commutes have an adverse hit on productivity too. How often do people feel like they need to calm down after swiping into office or getting home after work? Absurd to imagine that state of mind isn't affecting job performance.

This isn't plugging work-from-home. This is about NOT torturing daily commuters, some of whom have no choice but to work from an office facility. Nobody deserves a Bangalore ORR drive, not even the cabbie who ferries employees through that nightmare several times a day. They deserve better 'working conditions' too.

/Rant

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th March 2022 at 10:44.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 10:52   #19522
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Metro groundwork is still a few months away from clearing the occupied area so its a bad idea for companies especially between Bellandur and Marathahalli to call back people.
One lane in both directions has been taken over for metro work in stretches between Kasturi Nagar and Hennur, just a matter of time before traffic becomes worse along this route. I guess in some places the bus lane in the middle of the flyovers will be used for metro piers but at other places it runs bang in the middle over the present median. They've also dug out the concrete in these stretches already, remember we endured 2+ years of craziness for the white topping work to complete ? Well, a large portion of that effort, time and money goes down the drain

Last edited by NPV : 18th March 2022 at 10:53.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 11:08   #19523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Simple. The decision-makers don't care about traffic. The ones within companies are chauffered in their swanky cars...
Absolutely. At one org I used to work at, of the 3 people involved in the decision to move to an IT park in a particularly nasty stretch of the ORR- two of them had apartments that were a part of the same development, so they could walk to work. The other guy was on temporary assignment to India, so he was anyway heading back to the US in a few months and while he was here he had a chauffeur-driven Innova!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
This isn't plugging work-from-home. This is about NOT torturing daily commuters...Nobody deserves a Bangalore ORR drive
Thank you for saying this. A lot of people think the push for WFH is by a whiny, privileged bunch of spoiled IT employees. What they don't realize is that they are unwittingly doing the job for higher management and the builders of IT parks, neither of whom give a damn about employee health, just their profits.

Last edited by am1m : 18th March 2022 at 11:16.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 14:13   #19524
BHPian

I was called for an important planning meeting to one of our offices in RMZ on Wednesday. My schedule was that I could leave at 4 pm and traffic was very good (from hennur side to RMZ, OMR) and the only small delay was around the underpass near Ramamurthy Nagar due to the metro pillar work. It was almost a breeze.
It was a different story since we also had to go for dinner at 100ft road, Indira Nagar. Man, that stretch between Gopalan Mall till 80 feet road Indira Nagar is a mess! Took me a good 40 mins to reach 80 ft road around 8pm!
Return home was decent again around 10:30 pm. They have completed the railway track flyover and it was a breeze to drive through baiyapannahalli towards Banaswadi due to that flyover.
With this experience, I have to say that Bangalore road infra is developing, but the only issue is it just isnt fast enough to keep pace with the growth of cars and areas. So basically, this is not a crib (one of the few in 1000+ pages)
Old 18th March 2022, 17:47   #19525
BHPian

Quote:
The Metro groundwork is still a few months away from clearing the occupied area
few months? BMRCL said they will occupy 2 lanes of the ORR till 2024.
Quote:
“But we will require two lanes on ORR till 2024"
Source
Old 18th March 2022, 17:58   #19526
BHPian

I need to start from Marathalli bridge at 01.00 AM tonight, pick-up a friend from Vidyarayanapura and drive to Mysore to reach by 5.30 AM. Please suggest which route to take.
Old 18th March 2022, 18:15   #19527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I need to start from Marathalli bridge at 01.00 AM tonight, pick-up a friend from Vidyarayanapura and drive to Mysore to reach by 5.30 AM. Please suggest which route to take.
At that time, any route will be fine IMHO
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 18:41   #19528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The ORR of course all the way from Marathahalli to BEL circle and then Nayandahalli. No other choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
few months? BMRCL said they will occupy 2 lanes of the ORR till 2024.

Source
I dont know what sort of an estimate that is. Maybe they refer to certain portions only. Right now from Sarjapur road junction till beyond Devarabisanahalli they are already piling and a few piers are up. Since this line of the metro is pre cast U girders, once the piers are cast it only requires them to place the girders using cranes without having to have launching gantrys etc. So at least in this most populated stretch, work should be over within a few months from now. Once thats done, they can clear certain stretches.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 18:42   #19529
BHPian

Quote:
Would suggest you go via the city.. ie old airport road-> mg road-> palace-> hebbal-> Vidyarayanapura.

I dont take the kr puram to hebbal stretch of the ORR very often but in the bellandur to kr puram stretch the ORR is completely shutdown for vehicles at 1 AM and everyone including the 16 wheelers are forced to use the service road for most stretches. While timing wise it might not make a difference it is a very frustrating drive and wouldnt recommend it given you are going to be travelling further down to Mysore.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 19:50   #19530
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore's roads are set to be a lot more lawless soon:

https://twitter.com/chandrarsrikant/...02030958723072

Quote:
Zomato unveils 10-minute food delivery

Most Viewed