Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2021, 19:44   #19276
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Saw this near our house about two hours back. Potholes filled this way will be good only until next rain
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20211124_173855.jpg  

airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 20:28   #19277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
E
Rest all is hopelessly bad, especially governance, whether by BBMP, BESCOM, BDA, BWSSB, KSPCB, whatever. All riddled with corruption and that reflects in the pathetic state of our roads, streetlighting, water supply, power supply, and traffic sense.
No surprise. Look at today's catch by ACB Karnataka.

Cash Pipeline' Found During Raid At Karnataka Official's Home
Source NDTV
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/watc...s-home-2623139
Old 25th November 2021, 08:32   #19278
Senior - BHPian

Shocking! He had so much slush funds he did not know what to do with it. Filled it in pipes. I pray these guys go straight to hell. Our City's a mess
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
No surprise. Look at today's catch by ACB Karnataka. Cash Pipeline' Found During Raid At Karnataka Official's Home
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 09:25   #19279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I am so glad that I don't live in Bangalore anymore. Driving there is a complete nightmare.

The less said about BESCOM and the heat, the better.
Heat??? Bangalore has one of the most temperate climates in the country among major metropolitan cities. I am not sure I caught your meaning.

About the roads, no excuses, but my personal opinion is that vehicle population growth rate far outpaces development/widening of roads and there is a propensity of residents to use 2-wheelers - and drive as they please - which adds to the mess.
allinbalance is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 10:02   #19280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Shocking! He had so much slush funds he did not know what to do with it. Filled it in pipes. I pray these guys go straight to hell. Our City's a mess
Go to Hell! Yes, I’ll join you in those prayers.

Slightly off topic, if you were to check the asset declaration by some of the candidates for the upcoming election here, I couldn’t see even one with less than 20Cr asset. And most are not even graduates.

If only I knew the type of returns to efforts, I would have loved to be a politician from my school days.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 25th November 2021 at 10:03. Reason: Spelling
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 11:26   #19281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In hindsight it was a leap of faith to have started back amidst such heavy downpour
Agree that it will be better not to start when it is already raining heavily. But with Bangalore, one can never predict in which all areas it might be raining.

Once it happened to me. It was mildly sunny near my home, and I started riding my bike. Within 4 km, it started raining very heavily. When I returned home a little later, the roads were still completely dry.

Things I keep in mind when it is generally rainy in Bangalore:
Old 25th November 2021, 11:56   #19282
Distinguished - BHPian

For those unfortunate to commute to BLR city via Hebbal at peak times, I can confidently say the congestion has gone back to pre-COVID times, if not worse.

Also, I feel a lot of cabbies (who had lost their jobs or had their cabs repossessed) are back in BLR with a vengeance. Discipline is non-existent with 6 lanes trying to merge into the city-bound dual lanes + 4 more lanes merging on top of it.

The cops are trying to manage, but largely helpless due to the tsunami of vehicles.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 11:39   #19283
Senior - BHPian

Cops are at the Koramangala Ooty chocolate signal catching people taking left turn saying free left is not allowed. No board prohibiting left turn there. Signal shows blinking green left. No red left arrow.

I asked the cop there and he says if the green left is off you can't take a left turn.

This sounds like nonsense to me. And completely contrary to what i remember of the rules: free left is always allowed unless explicitly prohibited.

Can someone point to the appropriate MV Act, KA section?

Is my understanding wrong?

PS: I was on foot and hence for me the argument was academic at this time

Last edited by sridhu : 27th November 2021 at 11:42.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 13:39   #19284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Cops are at the Koramangala Ooty chocolate signal catching people taking left turn saying free left is not allowed. No board prohibiting left turn there. Signal shows blinking green left. No red left arrow.

I asked the cop there and he says if the green left is off you can't take a left turn.

This sounds like nonsense to me. And completely contrary to what i remember of the rules: free left is always allowed unless explicitly prohibited.

Is my understanding wrong?

PS: I was on foot and hence for me the argument was academic at this time
Free left is allowed only if it says so, that is a proper marker showing it. If there is no signal or sign boards don't take it.
Same for parking inside the city limits. Park only at the designated parking spots. You cannot park at a place which has no "no parking" sign.
Old 27th November 2021, 13:40   #19285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
There is no free left concept in Bangalore. This was a surprise to me when I moved from Hyderabad almost 20 years ago. Green blinking means turn left is ending and you need to stop when it turns off completely.

Last edited by mtnrajdeep : 27th November 2021 at 14:07.
Old 27th November 2021, 14:54   #19286
Senior - BHPian

Cops are back in action in large numbers. Probably to meet year end targets and also make up for the loss during the rains.

Hebbal Tollgate is being very active. Feel like we commuters should start doing like lorry drivers who just lean out and tip the cops without slowing down.

Funnily the rains are welcome because not a single traffic policeman collects during rains. Maybe they are worried about getting wet money? ;-)

BTW about the number plate thing, Apparently the HSRP is not required. But the Fibreboards that are installed in the factory are illegal. (Not font or size, but material. Number plate should be made out of metal in Bangalore. Even gold or silver is fine.

Last edited by wildsdi5530 : 27th November 2021 at 15:01. Reason: Number plate news.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 17:32   #19287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Cops are back in action in large numbers. Probably to meet year end targets and also make up for the loss during the rains.
Got caught in a bad jam near HSR ORR at midnight, all thanks to the cops. They were checking for drink and drive, at a spot where there is already no space for vehicles to freely move, due to the metro work and bus lanes. Once a couple of offenders were caught and stopped, there was no way for the vehicles behind to pass and it was a royal mess. Took me over 15 mins to cover 500m
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 21:17   #19288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Got caught in a bad jam near HSR ORR at midnight, all thanks to the cops. They were checking for drink and drive, at a spot where there is already no space for vehicles to freely move, due to the metro work and bus lanes. Once a couple of offenders were caught and stopped, there was no way for the vehicles behind to pass and it was a royal mess. Took me over 15 mins to cover 500m
Metro work has begun in HSR ORR? As of 7-8 days ago it hadn't. It was limited to Bellandur ORR, Marathahalli ORR, etc.

You seem to be saying it has begun in HSR ORR. Where exactly?

Anyway, glad to hear that, even if it means traffic mess. The sooner they start the ORR Metro construction work in all stretches, the sooner they'll finish it.

Last edited by vharihar : 28th November 2021 at 21:19.
Old 29th November 2021, 01:24   #19289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Metro work has begun in HSR ORR? As of 7-8 days ago it hadn't. It was limited to Bellandur ORR, Marathahalli ORR, etc.

You seem to be saying it has begun in HSR ORR. Where exactly?
When I say Metro work, I mean the barricading that is there from Silkboard onwards. The jam was in the stretch between Agara and Sarjapur signal, as the cops were stopping the vehicles right in front of the police station/Royal Enfield showroom.
Old 29th November 2021, 11:38   #19290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu
'Free left', 'No Parking' kind of scenarios/areas are determined at a very local level. MV Act or CMVR will not have any provisions mentioning the same. These are determined by the local authorities. In cities which does not have police commissionerates, the police officials prepare the plans and the district magistrate/collector actually puts out a kind of 'standing order'. In cities, traffic police senior officials do this.

But that said; our light signals do not have a uniform pattern. Some times blinking green, then at times some have a red arrow (indicating people should not take that direction etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530
Apparently the HSRP is not required.
HSRP cannot be fixed by all and sundry. The agencies who can fix HSRP has to be approved by the government. KA government has NOT YET decided on the approved HSRP vendors. So all those metallic number plates with European Union symbols (blue circle with many stars etc.) are actually not HSRP.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks