Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2019, 17:55   #16816
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Since when did it change from 80kmph to 60kmph?
I think it was after the maintenance work. There were few posts here on the forum and then when I noticed, there are few sign boards displaying 60.
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 18:22   #16817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
I think it was after the maintenance work. There were few posts here on the forum and then when I noticed, there are few sign boards displaying 60.
On BETL all sign boards which showed 80 earlier are now at 60. Even I checked only after seeing this on Team-BHP . But don't know how many people follow this restriction. Did not see any Interceptors doing checks as well.

And again if Interceptors are running the radar we need to see if they are setting their radar limits as 80kmph or have reduced it to 60kmph.
Old 28th February 2019, 09:26   #16818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
But don't know how many people follow this restriction. Did not see any Interceptors doing checks as well.
I was caught many years back (guess back in 2011-2012). Haven't seen them after that even though I drive atleast twice a year.
Old 28th February 2019, 09:41   #16819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On BETL all sign boards which showed 80 earlier are now at 60. Even I checked only after seeing this on Team-BHP . But don't know how many people follow this restriction. Did not see any Interceptors doing checks as well.

And again if Interceptors are running the radar we need to see if they are setting their radar limits as 80kmph or have reduced it to 60kmph.
I tried following the prescribed speed limit of 60 kph yesterday by setting cruise control at 60 and sitting back and relaxing. Lot of vehicles zipped past making me very uncomfortable. Then at one point I came side by side with a goods carrier who was also doing 60 kph since that was what his vehicle could manage under load. A few cars queued up behind us honking and flashing angrily. I disengaged CC and sped up a bit to create a gap and got an earful from these guys . 60 kph is a joke on this road and can potentially create more dangerous situations. 80 kph was just right, I don't know what made them change it?!!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 28th February 2019 at 10:10.
Santoshbhat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 12:04   #16820
Distinguished - BHPian

Cabbies who rest their elbow on the window sill should be punched in the face. As I was waiting in the traffic jam a usual dressed-in-white, betel nut chewing cabbie tried to squeeze his way (in their mind, if they do not pay any attention to their surroundings, no matter how much physics-bending the situation is, they'll escape it), and his rear bumper bumped into my front bumper at the corner, he happily drove off though since all cabbies do not break sweat at bumper knocks. I said to myself "oh well, its just a car" and snapped out of it. No damage whatsoever.

Then days later an Enfield bumps into the right corner of the car when I was waiting at the red, you know Enfields have a 2 meter long knee guard on either end making them the width of 2 BMTC buses each. This time I simply downed the window and exchanged a few expletives and after he wiggled his way out I relaxed again thinking its just a car. A small "pinch" at the point of impact is visible but not from more than 6 inches away.

Yesterday in a dark main road, yes an unlit main road as I was slowly making my way, a cycle with no reflectors, no warning was making its way on the extreme left (cyclists left) coming down the wrong way of a 1-way, and I was on my extreme right going slow, as he approached out of the darkness my mind let out a girly "eeeks" and I gave him about 1 foot of extra room as his nonchalantly made his way without breaking sweat.

I wonder if there's a vendetta against me in this city.. "rules follower spotted.. attack attack" I have zero tickets for red light violation in this city in 12 years of driving, that I feel is a proud moment for any driver.
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 12:20   #16821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
80 kph was just right, I don't know what made them change it?!!
Lack of common sense! All city roads have to have a speed limit of 60kmph as per the rule book. This is a city road...Period.

The same lack of common sense will be visible when they even fine you for driving at 61kmph. This is intolerance in the literal sense!

hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 15:12   #16822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Then days later an Enfield bumps into the right corner of the car when I was waiting at the red, you know Enfields have a 2 meter long knee guard on either end making them the width of 2 BMTC buses each.
The REs with the added power minus adequate brakes are a worrisome addition to BLR traffic Twice this week I came across rear-endings by 2 REs (on separate days) near Windsor Manor.

Torquey, powerful, heavy but the center of gravity is still firmly in the saddle and sparse in the brain area. These lovely bikes are simply not RX100s to be gunned and threaded through heavy traffic which is prone to sudden stops. I always try and give way to such riders because I know (and respect) the simple laws of physics.

Shame that a few riders spoil the general perception of normal riders!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 15:14   #16823
BHPian

60 KMPH is low for the BETL, but you need to understand that the interceptor team has targets, and for the period of the repairs, they were unable to catch anyone doing above 40 KMPH.

Relax! All the Bengalurians know the speed limit now. So it will be the visitors to the city who will be penalized most. And in any case they are "enemies of the state" to the Karnataka Police, and this will just turn out to be another "legal" money-making scheme of the government of Karnataka.

Last edited by mvadg : 28th February 2019 at 15:16.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 09:54   #16824
Senior - BHPian

An update on Hosur Road (moving towards Adugodi), St. Johns signal, Madiwala.
I noticed this morning that the last 100m or so of the right half of the road just before the signal has been barricaded and the top layer of asphalt has been scraped off. Looks like road works are beginning here.

Anyone traveling from Madiwala towards Adugodi/Dairy Circle can expect delays due to this.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 10:25   #16825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Anyone traveling from Madiwala towards Adugodi/Dairy Circle can expect delays due to this.
What was otherwise, a very fine, smooth road two years back, flanked by nice trees on both ends, is today a complete nightmare to travel on. The road quality all the way from the St.Johns signal, going to Acropolis, Adugodi, to Johnson market was a smooth affair, albeit the roads being narrow.

There was absolutely no need for concrete to be put in those areas, to BBMP that stretch has been a money-minting goldmine, be it the underpass, putting tiki-tar sheets over the underpass which was concreted to begin with, and then having that surface completely abrade over time, only to leave that unattended and focus on the upper stretch and "concretise" that part which had relatively good tar suface to begin with.. and from there, like cancer, spread further to Forum Mall and beyond.

BBMP - where right is wrong & wrong is right. Where the only thing that matters is inviting tenders and siphoning the majority cost, leaving behind useless pieces of "infrastructural work" as a showpiece. The most perverted organization ever.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 12:11   #16826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post

Relax! All the Bengalurians know the speed limit now. So it will be the visitors to the city who will be penalized most. And in any case they are "enemies of the state" to the Karnataka Police, and this will just turn out to be another "legal" money-making scheme of the government of Karnataka.
Frequent visitor here, noted the change with thanks . Nothing from my pocket hopefully goes out
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:37   #16827
Senior - BHPian

BETL seems to have given up on dedicated FastTag lanes when coming from Hosur side. Cabbies barging in and then paying by cash is the norm now.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 09:58   #16828
BHPian

Quote:
BETL seems to have given up on dedicated FastTag lanes when coming from Hosur side. Cabbies barging in and then paying by cash is the norm now.
This has been in practice for a long time now. I tried questioning the toll operators, which I realized was a waste of time. Local private buses seem to be the rulers here.

Last edited by deadguy25 : 4th March 2019 at 09:59. Reason: Typo.
deadguy25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 10:07   #16829
BHPian

Quote:
This, combined with the 60 kmph speed limit led me to try out the 'ordinary' Hosur Rd., and guess what, it's not that bad during off-peak hours!
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 10:29   #16830
Senior - BHPian

By the way, today and tomorrow the road through Yemalur village (connecting ORR at Bellandur to OA Road at Marathahalli borewell bus stop) will be closed for Shivarathri celebrations. FYI.

You might still be able to squeeze through Kempapura and Murugesh Palya to join OA Road at NAL junction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks