Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2018, 13:25   #16081
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Interesting to see that the display seems to be capable of showing only 2 digits . Most modern LMVs do way more than 99 on those stretches.
Nice observation. My indicated speed here will be very less, less than the city speed limit of 30kmph. I too zoomed in and checked and there is no space for even the '1' symbol to the left. However, if it is a dot matrix display then there is a chance of scaling the number size to add a third digit. But it looks like a simple seven segment display to me.

This is found at the entrance to many European towns and cities where the speed drops to 50 or 30kmph and hence, the indicated speed is mostly within this range and drivers can be made aware. Looks like a half baked implementation. Whenever I take this road, the slowest vehicle will be on the right lane doing 40kmph while we will have some drivers tearing the left most lane at triple digit speeds. Hence, targetting only the rightmost lane is hardly of any use
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 15:42   #16082

I stay in Sanjaynagar and drive to my office in Whitefield. As the white topping on the Hebbal - Manyata - Hennur stretch has started off, in an attempt to find new roads, I googled for alternate routes and found the one as highlighted in the attachment, which gets you to Outer ring road, from opposite side of Lumbini Gardens. I tried that route today and was in for a nasty surprise.

Midway through the route, the roads seem to have been dug up and a shoddy sand-filling work has been done. The road has actually caved in. Even if google suggests this route, please don't take it.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.png

Last edited by ampere : 16th September 2018 at 22:13. Reason: formatted for readability
theleapyes is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 23:08   #16083
Senior - BHPian

Stumbled upon a very nice video, explaining the monkey business on road

Disclaimer: Am not a fan of autonomous driving. I am not promoting autonomous driving.
But basically I liked the first part where it explains what causes traffic pile ups. Something to ponder upon.

Old 14th September 2018, 23:49   #16084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This is found at the entrance to many European towns and cities where the speed drops to 50 or 30kmph and hence, the indicated speed is mostly within this range and drivers can be made aware. Looks like a half baked implementation. Whenever I take this road, the slowest vehicle will be on the right lane doing 40kmph while we will have some drivers tearing the left most lane at triple digit speeds. Hence, targetting only the rightmost lane is hardly of any use
Yup - that being the intent, before we criticize the move, i think we should be glad that someone is thinking of bringing some global practices in India. That's the first step. Then, they should figure out how to customize it for India. Not everything can be done in step 1!!
Old 16th September 2018, 15:54   #16085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
A few months back, I saw what looked like speed cameras come up at 2 places on ORR.
Well, one of my acquaintances claims he got a speeding ticket for going beyond 60KMPH near the Veterinary college overpass. If true, this is more than an ornamental setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I guess you are talking about this. Got this on WhatsApp couple of days ago.
But I think it won't work very well in our country because:
Irrespective of it makes sense or not - authorities seem to have gone ahead - similar to banning non-ISI helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Nice observation. My indicated speed here will be very less, less than the city speed limit of 30kmph. I too zoomed in and checked
Have you checked, recently, if you have been challan-ed ?
Old 16th September 2018, 22:05   #16086
Distinguished - BHPian

Torrential rain in North BLR. Drive safely everyone!
Old 17th September 2018, 09:34   #16087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Well, one of my acquaintances claims he got a speeding ticket for going beyond 60KMPH near the Veterinary college overpass. If true, this is more than an ornamental setup.
There is usually a mobile speed interceptor stationed near Veterinary college gate on the lane towards airport between 10 AM and 6 PM. I have seen many cars getting caught after they gun the throttle after clearing the bumper to bumper drive between Mehkri circle underpass and Sanjaynagar flyover. A perfectly set trap! Please confirm with your friend if it was here that he was challaned.
Old 17th September 2018, 10:29   #16088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
To be fair. Embassy have belatedly owned up and are financing the construction of flyovers into Manyata to ease the pressure. RMZ can easily do this with the Qatari money at their fingertips
Sir I wonder what will happen to the Metro bridge that will be from Silkboard to Hebbal. If Ecospace starts building bridges I can't imagine what a spaghetti junction this might be.

Last edited by ajmat : 17th September 2018 at 10:31. Reason: typo
Old 17th September 2018, 11:42   #16089
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this is the right thread to post the following message. In the NHAI website, toll rate for Attibele is mentioned as Rs 25 while I remember paying Rs 30 the last time I drove to Hosur. Can the toll plaza charge not in accordance with NHAI rules ?
Old 17th September 2018, 12:00   #16090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread to post the following message. In the NHAI website, toll rate for Attibele is mentioned as Rs 25 while I remember paying Rs 30 the last time I drove to Hosur. Can the toll plaza charge not in accordance with NHAI rules ?
At times, the toll rates mentioned on NHAI is not really accurate or updated. I mostly see notifications in print media each time tolls are revised.

This is what BETL website also has to say about Attibele toll [30 INR for LMVs]:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-attibele.jpg

LINK
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 11:11   #16091
BHPian

Need some assistance. Have an appointment tomorrow at PSK Bellandur.
Google map shows that, while coming from Koramangala, I have to get in between the flyovers and then take a Left towards the PSK parking. Is this a one way and is google correct?
I haven't visited this area for a year and if I remember earlier the one way traffic was from the PSK parking towards the Ring road.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-passport-office.jpg
Old 18th September 2018, 11:24   #16092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I haven't visited this area for a year and if I remember earlier the one way traffic was from the PSK parking towards the Ring road.
Now it's the other way. From the Koramangala side, pass the PSK (HDFC Bank building) in the service lane and take the left towards Sakara Hospital to reach the PSK parking. It's a one way from the service lane towards Sakara (though there will be enough idiots going the other way as well!).
Old 18th September 2018, 11:26   #16093
BHPian

Quote:
Is this a one way and is google correct?
Yes. This is correct. But I wonder why Google maps is asking you to change service lanes. You can continue on the left service lane opposite Ecospace and then take a left as suggested by Google Maps.
Old 18th September 2018, 11:53   #16094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Yes. This is correct. But I wonder why Google maps is asking you to change service lanes. You can continue on the left service lane opposite Ecospace and then take a left as suggested by Google Maps.
Off late, I notice that google maps algorithms are failing for Indian (or Bangalore) traffic, many a times it will show you comparatively worse route instead of showing most optimum route.
In fact, I've started to use google map to check only the traffic density and decide my own route, I think it works faster.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 12:03   #16095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Google map shows that, while coming from Koramangala, I have to get in between the flyovers and then take a Left towards the PSK parking. Is this a one way and is google correct?
Update from yesterday (this is a route I take routinely):

The one-way currently favours traffic exiting ORR. But the road has been resurfaced sometime recently; so the one-way rule is not particularly enforced (could also be weekend observation). You can certainly turn onto this road while going to the PSK parking.

While you can take both the left service road and the central BRTS lane, the latter is preferred because of (a) the PSK entry, and (b) Hyundai service centre entry both from the service road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks