Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 09:27   #15286
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Crazy Traffic everywhere today. Was stuck at KR Puram flyover for an hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
I dont know what happened today. The traffic in East Bangalore has been pretty bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Due to white topping on the ORR, which has led to clogging till tin factory sometimes.
True, white topping in ORR ring road had impacted all the roads in East Bangalore.
It took one and half hour for me to navigate 2 KMs near SV Metro

Cheers!
Old 11th January 2018, 09:53   #15287
BHPian

Avoid ORR between Kasturinagar and Hennur circle at any cost. They have blocked banaswadi underpass from today and the traffic is terrible, I used to take 30-35mins till yesterday and today I took 1.25hrs to reach Manyata.
Old 11th January 2018, 12:04   #15288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Avoid ORR between Kasturinagar and Hennur circle at any cost. They have blocked banaswadi underpass from today and the traffic is terrible, I used to take 30-35mins till yesterday and today I took 1.25hrs to reach Manyata.
I managed to enter Bhuvanagiri from the ORR and criss-crossed till I joined the ORR again, that is almost after the white topping mess!
Old 12th January 2018, 11:47   #15289
Senior - BHPian

White topping jam alert:
Looks like BBMP has initiated white topping on the ORR stretch between Nayandahalli and Gorguntepalaya. They have started work on a small section between Laggere bridge/Nandini layout and Rajkumar samadhi, on the lane towards gorguntepalaya. Half of the lane is barricaded and traffic is being allowed on the other half and service roads. There was a pile up, a short one in the morning. Expect lot of congestion during peak hours.

Will be taking this route on the way back to home in the evening. Will update the condition then.

This was one free flowing section on my way to office and back . Will have to deal with the congestion now for the next few months
sandsun7 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 12:43   #15290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
White topping jam alert:This was one free flowing section on my way to office and back . Will have to deal with the congestion now for the next few months
The last I drove was just 2 days back and I thought I was done for this week and will drive some day next week.

With this alert, I am sure I will continue to work from home till this work gets over, even If it is weeks/month. Cannot afford to crawl on the way back as the case is similar with the city route as well. Taking NICE till Tumkur Road also makes no sense too.
Old 12th January 2018, 14:10   #15291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
White topping jam alert:
Looks like BBMP has initiated white topping on the ORR stretch between Nayandahalli and Gorguntepalaya. They have started work on a small section between Laggere bridge/Nandini layout and Rajkumar samadhi, on the lane towards gorguntepalaya. Half of the lane is barricaded and traffic is being allowed on the other half and service roads. There was a pile up, a short one in the morning. Expect lot of congestion during peak hours.

Will be taking this route on the way back to home in the evening. Will update the condition then.

This was one free flowing section on my way to office and back . Will have to deal with the congestion now for the next few months

This was one good, fast yet free section available in the vicinity. Now it'll be nothing short of hell for users of this road.
The interceptor vehicle which was always stationed here will now have to move to some other place.
More importantly this section is used largely by vehicles who want to join Pune highway. With the 3-day festival weekend coming up, travelers will add to the chaos.
NECE will be happy because its revenue will see a surge.

In hindsight, perhaps steel flyover would've been better than all these
Old 12th January 2018, 20:00   #15292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
White topping jam alert:
Looks like BBMP has initiated white topping on the ORR stretch between Nayandahalli and Gorguntepalaya. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

This was one good, fast yet free section available in the vicinity. Now it'll be nothing short of hell for users of this road.
Apologies! Had a better look at the work going on today evening while on the way back and I can confirm this is NOT for white topping. Looks like it is for a pedestrian subway near Rajkumar samadhi bus stop. So the blockage may be for a comparatively shorter period of time depending on how fast they execute the work.
sandsun7 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 18:27   #15293
BHPian

Saw on you tube a video on Bengaluru’s new pedestrian crossing system, and it does not look very encouraging. I think our basic rules of the road need to be updated, viz stopping when the signal is red. This will be same in any part of our country i guess.

mods : kindly re post if the thread is wrong, could not find any thread or post on this matter.

Last edited by sparky@home : 14th January 2018 at 18:28. Reason: additional comments
sparky@home is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 05:54   #15294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Bengaluru’s new pedestrian crossing system, and it does not look very encouraging...
Stopping at red lights is something that we haven't learnt yet. It applies to riders-drivers and pedestrians equally. That last second acceleration to avoid spending time in the signal is a crime many of us have been guilty of at some point, again both as riders-drivers and pedestrians. That said, these Pelican switches are a good initiative, if used sensibly and responsibly.

I can recall using them in Mysuru almost 15 years ago. They worked well except for the self defeating presence of a traffic cop who used to be stationed there to operate the switch. I always thought that he was there not to ensure the safety of the pedestrians but to guard the switch from being destroyed .

Here's a video from 1969, the year it was introduced in England.

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, the word Pelican is supposed to be an altered version of PELICON, a portmanteau of Pedestrian Light Controlled.
Old 15th January 2018, 08:44   #15295
Senior - BHPian

Left Bommanahalli at 7 30 PM and was at my desk in ITPL by 8 35 AM. Once cannot hope for something better than this I guess. Absolutely no traffic.
Old 15th January 2018, 09:41   #15296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think our basic rules of the road need to be updated, viz stopping when the signal is red. This will be same in any part of our country i guess.
Thank you sparky@home for sharing the video here.

Like many of us here on the forum, I have been fortunate enough to travel many countries, and I can safely say this:
  • We may just COPY/PASTE the European or International technologies here, but these things will never change a thing in India, even after 200 years!!
  • Most of the motorists on Indian roads are either un-educated with respect to traffic sense, could care less about other motorists or road users, always in a hurry as they have never & will never plan their commute, or just plane retards.
  • Its the citizens who make a country, not viceversa. So there is no way things are going to change with our esteemed Kantri(Country)-men.
  • The fines and punishments imposed for harming fellow motorists or road users are meagre to non-existant. So even a dodo driving an APE auto assumes he owns the road.

P.S - I really feel very sorry for the foreign tourists who visit India at times.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 15th January 2018 at 09:42.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 10:36   #15297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw on you tube a video on Bengaluru’s new pedestrian crossing system, and it does not look very encouraging. I think our basic rules of the road need to be updated, viz stopping when the signal is red. This will be same in any part of our country i guess.
Many people are simply colour blind when it comes to stopping at a red light. There are signals for pedestrians at the Electronic City bus stop near the BETL toll booth. Most of the vehicles simply ignore the red even when there are people walking on the zebra crossing. There are also motorists who do not stop because of the fear of getting rear-ended.
Old 15th January 2018, 10:51   #15298
Senior - BHPian

I think people take time to adjust to new signals ! We drive knowing where the potholes are where the humps are. Hopefully, they will start getting used to the signal. Also, does it help to have the signal just at the end of a turn ? It doesnt appear in front of you until the end of the turn when its suddenly there. They should move it a bit after the turn.
Old 15th January 2018, 12:19   #15299
gpa
Senior - BHPian

I was pleasantly surprised this morning on my way to work and then realized that it was a holiday for schools and a few MNCs as well.

This is what Assaye Road looked like at 8:45 AM this morning.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-monday.jpg

Usually, this stretch is overflowing with traffic with people randomly taking U-turns without signalling. The new dividers have brought some respite in the past few months.
Old 15th January 2018, 13:09   #15300
Distinguished - BHPian

Karnataka bandh called for 25 January. Issue is as always WATER!

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...tfyB4oAfL.html

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le22423950.ece

Mahadayi issue anyway festering coupled with upcoming elections, and now SC has vowed to rule conclusively on Cauvery issue in 4 weeks time!

Get braced for disruptions pretty soon especially for the 26/1 long weekend. I've already convinced some TN-based relatives to switch to train rather than their TN car for their BLR trip. Luckily, train tickets were still available.

Last edited by itwasntme : 15th January 2018 at 13:13. Reason: Typo

Most Viewed