Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2009, 10:40   #1
BHPian

Ban 2-stroke petrol autos in Bangalore?

Recently there was an auto strike in Bangalore for a day. The pollution control board took up this opportunity to check the pollutions levels in major parts of the city on the day of auto strike and on a day before the strike.

The results they have got indicates that on the day of strike the pollution level was very very less. On an average 30-40% pollution was reduced in majestic area.

Considering all these, i feel that all 2 stroke autos in bangalore shoule be banned, or they should go in for CNG/LPG which is more environment friendly.

Last edited by _abhishek : 16th October 2009 at 10:41.
Old 16th October 2009, 11:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think the question should be "Ban autos all over India?", and the answer is a big YES!
Old 16th October 2009, 11:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you, abhishek. If such a ban were to be considered, there will be more auto strikes, and hence better environment But the government must not cave in to the strikes and should show some backbone.

I dont agree with you pranav. Autos fill a need for many people.
Old 16th October 2009, 13:17   #4
BHPian

Actually in Bangalore, if we banned half the autos and the other half went about their business instead of saying "Barodhilla, saar", it might make Bangalore a very nice place to drive in.
Old 16th October 2009, 13:22   #5
BHPian

Auto's in B'lore definitely needs to be banned. I have never come across any other state in india where they have such noisy and polluting autos. Half of the time these auto guys simple refuse to come and when they do make up there mind to do a lazy trip they just smoke out the whole place and blow up ones ear drums.

Last edited by jango : 16th October 2009 at 13:32.
Old 16th October 2009, 13:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Banning is not the solution. Of what little experience i have of being in Bangalore (one day trips, two times) i have found that without autos there is hardly any other means of public transport for visitors at least. I didint find one cab and even an auto with great difficulty. I feel that more than pollution, these guys add to the commotion. They have no traffic sense and that should be imparted to them on an urgent basis.

Coming back to the pollution thing, all autos should be compulsorily converted, to run on CNG as is the case in Delhi and Bombay. Im surprised that is not the case already in Bangalore.
Old 16th October 2009, 13:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I dont agree with you pranav. Autos fill a need for many people.
That need can easily be fulfilled by using state/public transport. For the minimal inconvenience you have to undergo, you will reduce:
a) traffic
b) noise pollution
c) air pollution
d) damage to private cars
e) mental agony of everyone travelling on the roads

I pray for those days when these autorickshaws go on a strike. The difference is more than obvious on the roads. Further, remove the random slow-moving obstacles from the road and you will notice that 90% of the people who drive like retards suddenly cool down and drive in a very disciplined manner.
Old 16th October 2009, 13:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys. I am not for that. Why only 2-stroke Auto? Why not other 2 stroke 2 wheelers?
Old 16th October 2009, 13:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Coming back to the pollution thing, all autos should be compulsorily converted, to run on CNG as is the case in Delhi and Bombay. Im surprised that is not the case already in Bangalore.
IIRC, the same ban has been implemented in Bangalore also. All autos have to run on LPG only.
Old 16th October 2009, 13:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Sorry guys. I am not for that. Why only 2-stroke Auto? Why not other 2 stroke 2 wheelers?
That's because 2-Stroke Auto's play a major role in polluting the environment ( they are more in number at least in b'lore ) than any other 2-Stroke 2 wheeler. Auto's should be on the priority list followed by other 2 Stroke 2 wheelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
IIRC, the same ban has been implemented in Bangalore also. All autos have to run on LPG only.
I have seen autos getting lined in at few petrol bunks for LPG refills but they still pollute the environment a lot...any specific reason why these LPG auto's still emit lots of smoke ??

Last edited by jango : 16th October 2009 at 14:03.
Old 16th October 2009, 14:05   #11
BHPian

can we please ban all the auto drivers in Bangalore??
Old 16th October 2009, 14:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Banning is not the solution. Of what little experience i have of being in Bangalore (one day trips, two times) i have found that without autos there is hardly any other means of public transport for visitors at least. I didint find one cab and even an auto with great difficulty.
Bangalore has a very good public transport system. The BMTC connect every corner of bangalore.

The trees in the city are being cut down bcoz of metro work and road widening projects. And pollution is increasing day by day. All the autos must be converted to CNG with strict guidelines and monitoring as in Delhi.

If we are on a two wheeler and travelling in any major junction during peak hours, the smoke from autos almost suffocate us. I guess bangalore guys will agree with me on this.
Old 16th October 2009, 14:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _abhishek View Post
Bangalore has a very good public transport system. The BMTC connect every corner of bangalore.

The trees in the city are being cut down bcoz of metro work and road widening projects. And pollution is increasing day by day. All the autos must be converted to CNG with strict guidelines and monitoring as in Delhi.

If we are on a two wheeler and travelling in any major junction during peak hours, the smoke from autos almost suffocate us. I guess bangalore guys will agree with me on this.
+1 to that.
Bangalore is not like what it used to be about 3-4 years back, where one had to depend only on Autos to commute short distances if you dont have a bike or a car, and you had to go thru all the "nakhras" the auto drives had to offer, esp them charging you depending on their mood.

Now with the introduction of the new Volvos (Red and Blue) and the Big 10's, the transport system has improved a lot. Now people opt to travel by buses which was not the case when we just the normal BMTC buses.
Now a days you also get to see nice crowd in the buses also.

One more reason i like Volvo's is that people cant spit on you once you try to overtake the bus..
Old 16th October 2009, 15:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Auto's in B'lore definitely needs to be banned. I have never come across any other state in india where they have such noisy and polluting autos. Half of the time these auto guys simple refuse to come and when they do make up there mind to do a lazy trip they just smoke out the whole place and blow up ones ear drums.
This is because they deliberately remove baffle plates from silencers to get more mileage & speed. Government has full support for this, they dont even touch them. Just watch the local TV nowadays all experts from Pollution Control Board, National Institute Of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences(NIMHANS),Institute Of Hearing & Speech and other bodies will crawl out of woodwork to tell us about ill affects of noise pollution due to bursting of crackers.Why are they so silent about these autorickshaws?Main culprit here is Bajaj Auto which still manufactures 2 stroke auto's.
Old 16th October 2009, 23:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreddy View Post
?Main culprit here is Bajaj Auto which still manufactures 2 stroke auto's.
Yes. But a ban on 2 stroke vehicles was imposed long back. Because of which the Yamaha RX production was stopped. But I dont understand how these autos are still being manufactured.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks