Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2009, 13:26   #31
BHPian

@Bbloast

Sad to hear about the incident.

+1 to muralisk

Happend with me a month back. I was driving to office and this biker on Honda Shine (I know his name, Employee id and the name of the organization; read that from his ID card) cut across my car sharply and almost kissed my passenger side door. All this happened behind Satyam's office Hitech city. I honked and veered to the exteme right as close as possible to the median. SOmehow managed to save my car.
Old 1st July 2009, 11:52   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram17bhp View Post
The answer is "both". Basically you start on the left of the road, unless it is occupied. In that case, go to the right,unless that is also occupied. Then proceed by occupying the next available gap, as in chess. Just trust your instincts, ascertain the direction, and proceed. Adherence to road rules leads to much misery and occasional fatality. Most drivers don't drive, but just aim their vehicles in the generally intended direction.
Quite true.When in Rome act like a roman. Just make sure that the gap you are eyeing will actually remain as gap untill you enter. For, you never know when someone will swerve to fill it.Also always anticipate gaps in median ,if you are in right lane, for the vehicle ahead of you may suddenly stop to take a U turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram17bhp View Post
Keep informative books in the glove compartment. You may read them during traffic jams, while awaiting the chief minister's motorcade, or waiting for the rainwater to recede when over ground traffic meets underground drainage.
Hilarious and true again. But then you will do yourself a favour by remembering the usual timings of these convoys in your normal route.

When on bike I always prefer to stick to left most side of the road.Not because I adhere the rules but because it is a lot easier to negotiate bouldered shoulders of road in traffic jams rather than to get choked up among tons of carbon gases on the packed up tarmac.

And even with car it is actually a preferred lane for me,unless the right lane is free of traffic.That said, I almost always overtake from left. And I overtake a bus from right only if it has just stopped at a point.
Old 1st July 2009, 12:26   #33
BHPian

What I saw this morning on my way to office (around 7:45 am) is truly unbelievable. I have never seen this before. On the Airport Road, after crossing the traffic light at HAL/ CV Raman Nagar, I was on the right lane and was overtaking a biker with a small kid (sitting in the front).

I was stunned to see that the adult (may be father) wasn't holding the bike handle and instead, it was the kid (probably aged 4 years) was actually driving the bike. I mean people. The was accelerating the bike. Whenever, there is an any vehicle in front of them, the adult would get his hands on to the handle. I saw this till the Total Mall.

I felt it was highly irresponsible driving and God forbid, even if there was a slight slip, both would have a very nasty fall and probably, a last one too. Shame on the adult for letting a small kid do this and that too on the main busy road.
Old 1st July 2009, 12:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
the adult (may be father) wasn't holding the bike handle and instead, it was the kid (probably aged 4 years) was actually driving the bike. I mean people. The was accelerating the bike. Whenever, there is an any vehicle in front of them, the adult would get his hands on to the handle.
Well that may be how the father's father taught driving to the father
Explains roots of present day taffic chaos of Hyderabad
Old 1st July 2009, 16:09   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was stunned to see that the adult (may be father) wasn't holding the bike handle and instead, it was the kid (probably aged 4 years) was actually driving the bike. I mean people. The was accelerating the bike. Whenever, there is an any vehicle in front of them, the adult would get his hands on to the handle. I saw this till the Total Mall.
I have seen such incidents several times in Hyderabad and i just smile/smirk at such sightings.

I think the first thing we need to stop doing is being stunned,shocked, feelings of unbeileve because Hyderabad traffic is built to overshoot such feelings. I am always ready for the unexpected with a grin on my face

Simple rules of surviving in Hyderabad's chaotic traffic :-

1. Drive as fast as you can

2. Never overtake from right

3. Agressive driving helps you to some extent

4. Use your indicators atleast 200 feet before the actual turn

5. Swerve the car once in a while to give "jhalak" to other morons who may have bright ideas of scraping past you.

6. Get yourself a big horn and use it frequently.

All above recommendations may seem against the rules of traffic but when your out on those choatic Hyderabad roads, the actual rules mean nothing to others. So you need to concentrate only on your SURVIVAL

I follow all above points and my car is testimony of minimal scratches, hardly getting into snarls with other car dwellers etc.

Just my 2 cents !!!!
Old 1st July 2009, 16:22   #36
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is plain ridiculous I witnessed a similar dare I say stunt being done on the yelahanka road that leads to the new airport once and it was down right dangerous even though the guy hanging onto the handles was a teenager.
Old 1st July 2009, 17:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
But the guy is letting out a stream of obscenities and when I am not giving it back.
Resorts to...
You s/w engineer.

hehehe.. i have got a better one given to me" You I.T people from outside" from a cab driver who i had cornered when he touched the rear bumper with his ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks