Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2008, 20:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thank God you got out of that one alive dude!!

One think bugs me though, even after having a near catastrophic tyre failure, you bought another tyre from the same manufacturer?

Personally, I wouldnt have.

Last edited by ported_head : 16th September 2008 at 08:50.
Old 15th September 2008, 22:49   #17
BHPian

Scary incident. Am glad all ended well. Could it be an error on the side of the air filling bunk? Happened to me once at a reputed bunk in the city. One day before a trip to Pune got the tyre pressures checked to 30psi early in the morning. Somehow did not like how the car handled and was back at the bunk late evening. The bloke by mistake filled 40psi on the right front tyre!
Old 15th September 2008, 23:07   #18
BHPian

scary boss 80 - 100 I think is a good speed, 140 and all is too much for the world class roads that we have here.
Old 15th September 2008, 23:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
****!! Thank God you got out of that one alive dude!!

One think bugs me though, even after having a near catastrophic tyre failure, you bought another tyre from the same manufacturer?

Personally, I wouldnt have.
I am actually going to upsize my tyres to 15".. At that point of time I went ahead and got the same ones..I mean you might have skills of an F1 driver or so...when you are carefully driving on roads and such a thing happens (freak accident due to tyre burst)...it hits ur confidence really hard. Now I think twice before pushing the car above 110 or so...
Old 15th September 2008, 23:55   #20
BHPian

Its a freak accident and very scary. We nowadays have fast cars but other things have not changed much. We have pretty much the same roads and all the surprises that comes with it. Its better to be within safe limits, specially when other people in the car are totally at your mercy.

Once in a while its fun to push hard and we all do that but, you never know.
End of the day, its good to know that everybody escaped without a scratch.
Old 16th September 2008, 00:13   #21
Team-BHP Support

Same tyres again !!!

Not the correct decision if you ask me. But anyways, drive safe and all the best
Old 16th September 2008, 00:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
My two cents - must fill 2 to 3 psi less than reccommended during summers and on long distance, because due to continuous friction the tyre temperatures raise thus increasing the pressure.
Or how about Nitrogen..??
Old 16th September 2008, 08:19   #23
BANNED

Dude you and your friends were very very lucky. Thank your stars and the fear that you feel now for taking it > 110 is very healthy indeed.
Old 16th September 2008, 09:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

I must say that you are one lucky dude.... to have a tyre burst in a curve at that speed with an oncoming heavy vehicle and to get away with only a running board dent and ruined tyres is a miracle .

Take care and drive safe , these are the instances i belive that make the time and research that we do on buying our tyres worth while
Old 16th September 2008, 10:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Not available everywhere and at all places - read 99.99% petrol bunks. Secondly, a bit expensive - Rs.25/- per tyre (correct me, I may be wrong). Why would anyone pay 100 Rs. to fill the tyres when air is available free; only you've to pay a little attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Or how about Nitrogen..??
Old 16th September 2008, 10:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Not available everywhere and at all places - read 99.99% petrol bunks. Secondly, a bit expensive - Rs.25/- per tyre (correct me, I may be wrong). Why would anyone pay 100 Rs. to fill the tyres when air is available free; only you've to pay a little attention.
Well first you find a bunker next to your house that does have NItrogen stations.
Secondly even if its 25 bucks and 100 for 4. Has to be filled only once in a blue moon.
I think its much safer to fill nitrogen. Its cooler hence tires stay cool. So less chances of it blowing.

Ive decided to fill only nitrogen. Safe ride. Good for the tires especially on the E-way.
Old 16th September 2008, 12:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Not worth the pain. A few precautions, handed down from generations, have kept me safe for the last 32 years.. I'm very very proud to say that I've never suffered a tyre burst on the E-ways, Highways, city roads in temperatures exceeding 44 C or on snow till date, be it the Hindustan 10 or the Landmaster or the Amby '73 or the Fiat or the Maruti 800DX, or the Gypsy 4x4 or the Maruti 1000 or the Esteem '99 or the Safari '98 or the Scorpio '04. Phew..!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Well first you find a bunker next to your house that does have NItrogen stations.
Secondly even if its 25 bucks and 100 for 4. Has to be filled only once in a blue moon.
I think its much safer to fill nitrogen. Its cooler hence tires stay cool. So less chances of it blowing.
Old 21st September 2008, 14:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest two points here - A. don't trust the tyre pressure gauge of the tyre walla, even if he is your regular guy. What he thinks is 36 could well have been anything between 16 and 106 - God only knows.
I don't know why you filled different pressures on front and rear. Those are 30 year old rules for older generation cars. Modern cars are designed to have equal pressure on the four wheels.
B. There is a world of difference between Indian tyres and the foreign tyres. I wish I didn't have to say this, but it's true. I learnt this very recently after upgrading from OE MRFs to Michelins.
The difference is like between local canvas keds and Nike Air. Or Khadim's and Hush Puppies.
I am happy that you are alive to tell the tale. I think the steering swerve that you did saved you. Did you apply brake? You might not remember. Apparently it is not advisable to brake in such situations - but most of us would instinctively do that.
Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 21st September 2008 at 14:19.
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:14   #29
BHPian

Thanks God you are here to post this thread.. to have a tyre burst on a curve is not funny and on more thing its not your tyre shop guy that decides what the rules are.
Old 22nd September 2008, 01:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quite a scary experience.

I am very interested to know what was JKs reaction to complaint? If they seemed complaisant and not surprised. It should worry those using this particular JK model.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks