Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2008, 01:37   #1
BHPian

Help! My Ford Ikon was rammed by another vehicle.

I own a 2006 model Ford Ikon that's in almost showroom condition. This accident occurred yesterday evening close to my home. I'd left home on the way to the camp area around 1750 evening time, when there was sufficient day light and clear visibility. I'd slowed-down at this particular location where the road from a few societies in our area joins with the main road--it's a blind corner for vehicles coming from the main road. I probably was below 10 KMPH speed, when a silver Swift turned the corner from my right at a very high speed.

This vehicle was driven by a lady that claimed it wasn't her fault, when it was clearly her fault. The onlookers also said that it was clearly her fault. This was a blind corner where people are expected to slow-down and then turn. It's clear from the attached picture that I was on the proper side. The severity of the impact also confirms that she was turning at a very high speed. It also seems that she was turning towards the wrong-side of the road. Then her relatives came and said that this was the second accident in the last few weeks, after the recent purchase of that vehicle. However, they weren't willing to admit their guilt in this case.

The front-right fender as well as the door has been severely damaged, which probably needs to be replaced. The wheel has collapsed inwards and wasn't moving. I've got Bajaj Allianz comprehensive insurance. Does the insurance company pay the entire cost of the repairing the vehicle? What could possibly be the cost of repairing--any ballpark range of cost? I've now got to pay for these costs as well as suffer the inconvenience, for no fault of mine. I've already contacted the insurance company and sent the vehicle to the Ford workshop. Please provide some advice on what's usually done in these situations and the proper course of action.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Help! My Ford Ikon was rammed by another vehicle.-damage.jpg  

Old 30th May 2008, 02:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well from the pic it does indeed look like the Swift driver was at fault as your car seems to be in the right lane. Anyway, your fender needs to be replaced for sure but the door only has a minor dent & should be repaired not replaced.

Insurance will cover the cost of repair, replacement & painting albeit you'll have to pay depreciation on metal parts depending on the age of your car and also pay 50% of the cost if any Plastic/Rubber parts need to be replaced (I think your fender lining will have to be replaced which is a plastic omponent).

But don't worry this is not a major incident but just a small shunt. I don't think getting this fixed will be a headache or take longer than 4-5 days.
Old 30th May 2008, 02:07   #3
Team-BHP Support

I think the front suspension and drive shafts have taken a hit as well.
Old 30th May 2008, 02:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looks unlikely Vid, I think it's just the bent fender giving that impression but yeah it could be a distant possibility.
Old 30th May 2008, 07:13   #5
BHPian

Sorry about the accident.

Like iraghava said, you'll get the insurance to the maximum & you'll have to shell out a small percentage.

BTW what action did you take on the Swift-lady? Hope you dint let her go just like that. If she is a compulsive rash driver[as per her relatives], she should be punished by having her license revoked.
Old 30th May 2008, 09:32   #6
BHPian

Sorry about the accident, Yup its best to claim insurance and fix this.

The way it looks seems like one of you tried to cut corners?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ople-turn.html
Old 30th May 2008, 09:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the crash.

You have mentioned that the front wheel is not moving. So the suspension most probably the shafts also Might have taken a hit.
The comprehensive insurance may cover around 50% of cost. In our case of damage, they gave 70K out of 1.17lakh.

EDIT: @VID: Didnt read at first. You are correct,at least from the description it looks like suspension and driveshafts are somewhat damaged.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 30th May 2008 at 09:37.
Old 30th May 2008, 09:51   #8
BHPian

The damage to the door seems minimal, I guess that can be repaired, no need to replace. All the labour costs are born by the insurance company. You will have to pay the certain percentage of parts replacement cost. Does Bajaj Alliance give you cash-free insurance?
I had a similar accident in my WagonR some timeback. That cost me 30K. out of which 23 was paid by insurance company. But ofcourse, being a different make and model, your costs could be completely different.
IMO, if its not going to cost too much from your pocket, just let go. If you want to get the Swift lady to pay for it (especially when she is not agreeing its her fault), you will have to get into hassles with cops and all. I believe that accidents and repair costs are part and parcel of owning a car. Its not worth loosing your peace of mind over them. Whats important is, nobody was hurt.
Old 30th May 2008, 10:17   #9
BHPian

The wheel has also collapsed inwards at the top portion. It's now lying at an angle from it's original position. This wheel also doesn't move when the steering is turned--probably lower arm is also broken. I think that the suspension is also damaged--since it's leaning forward. Is it possible that the axle is broken?

Doesn't the insurance company pay for all the repair cost?
Old 30th May 2008, 11:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

i think the front rim also needs to be replaced

have the suspension checked of any damage
Old 30th May 2008, 11:23   #11
BHPian

sorry to hear that. It is unfortunate but it happens and we really can not do anything about it sometimes. Even my car too was badly hit by to Garage scooter wala and broke the front bumper and fog lamps. Did not try to claim insurance as i would get only 50% of the total estimate(bumper is plastic/fiber). Would also suggest you to get the steering related parts to be checked considering the impact that the car has had
Old 30th May 2008, 11:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetUser View Post
I've now got to pay for these costs as well as suffer the inconvenience, for no fault of mine. I've already contacted the insurance company and sent the vehicle to the Ford workshop. Please provide some advice on what's usually done in these situations and the proper course of action.
Thanks.
InternetUser,

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Yes, our insurance laws/procedure are such that even if your car was hit by someone else (and no fault of yours at all), you have to get your car fixed using your insurance and pay for some portion of it yourself. To add insult to the injury, your insurance premium goes up.

Usually in accidents if no one is hurt, best thing is to walk away thanking your stars that everyone is safe. However, if there is a injury in the accident, best course of action is go to the police station and file an FIR. Those are the situations where *third party* insurance kicks in and some other insurance pays for your medical bills. However, this is post fact and involves court case and lawyers.
Old 30th May 2008, 11:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this bad news.
Your best bet is to take a set of pictures, fill up your insurance claim form and send the vehicle to the garage. Despite the circumstances, in the absence of an FIR this will be considered as "Own Damage" by the Insurance company.
They will pay most of the bill, as per the estimate given by the garage (which you can if required request the garage to inflate just a bit, to minimize the impact on you personally). However, the estimate will be whetted by the INsurance Inspector when he goes there to inspect the damaged vehicle and he will negotiate with the garage to reduce some portion of it etc.
At the end of it, you will be out of pocket to a small extent, but just pay that amount and think of it as paying to save the inconvenience and time loss in filing FIR, Police issues, Court case blah blah blah.
The corollary to this is that when you renew your insurance next year, you will lose your No Claim Bonus and may face a raise in your Premium payable.
However, if you know the lady in question, then you can pressurize her politely to settle the matter out of court by giving you, personally some kind of settlement. Of course if she is well off, and you have her contact details, car number etc etc etc, then you are at complete liberty to pursue the matter as you see fit.
hope ths helps

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th May 2008 at 11:48.
Old 30th May 2008, 14:25   #14
BHPian

@internetuser: Sorry to hear about this. I too am in similar situation. A honda activa fellow hit the driver side door of my car and it is bent badly.

I gave the car to Ford workshop this morning and initiated the insurance claim. For me the door has to be changed (estimated 13k) and another 3k for correting the dents on front fender.

As many people said earlier, you might have to pay 50% of the plastic/fiber parts and some depreciation on the metal parts based on the cars age. You should get an estimate from the Ford workshop about the cost.

First i suggest you to call the insurance company call center and report the incident. This will speed up things when you take your car to workshop.

Secondly, i would suggest atlteast to inform the police about the incident. In my case, insurance company (ICICI Lombard) wanted FIR copy. However i didnot register the FIR, but the Traffic police station took note of the incident in their station dairy on the day of incident. If the insurance company insists on having an FIR copy you can atleast get a reference letter from Police, if you intimate them. And it will keep a record of the offender (not much use...but atleast it will be on record with police).

All the best!

Thanks
-Vaspro

Last edited by vaspro : 30th May 2008 at 14:28. Reason: Spellcheck
Old 30th May 2008, 14:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetUser View Post
The wheel has also collapsed inwards at the top portion. It's now lying at an angle from it's original position. This wheel also doesn't move when the steering is turned--probably lower arm is also broken. I think that the suspension is also damaged--since it's leaning forward. Is it possible that the axle is broken?

Doesn't the insurance company pay for all the repair cost?
Yes, it is possible that the axle could be broken but more chances point towards the lower arm. Also like I said in my earlier post the Insurance company will pay full amount for the metal/suspension/engine parts (Minus depreciation) & 50% for Plastic/Rubber parts. They'll also pay up in full for the labour charges.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks