Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2008, 10:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

My only worry is that since he wasn't apprehended then & there and not medically tested for drunkenness, not much case could be brought against him, unless you manage to gather the sandwiched biker and others as witness; a long shot...

Of course, rear ending is generally considered as a fault of the doer. IMO, doing a DC probably would have made his department sit up and note the modifications and then probably question him for that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@gd Bhai, would have done dc to the sumo had it not been govt property. As I belong to the same breed it would not have stood me in good light. Regarding plastic surgery well he would be requiring a dentist atleast.
I have the complete info on his department and the officer he is attached to. I plan to call them up on Monday and see their reaction. If they play a deaf year than I would request all fellow bhpians to help me make it a case for atleast departmental action against the driver.
I agree such guys should be banned from the roads.In ceratin parts of the world DUI is a capital offence and especially in Gulf you are charged with attempted murder for DUI.
Old 27th April 2008, 11:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. I agree with most of the views here but how good is it thrashing and damaging government property or for that matter even private property.
@Ishan: I ahve the names of all the police guys alaongwith their phone numbers and the PCR car numbers are logged into the police station diary, so that is not a problem.
C'mon guys why strike a pessimist note so soon. Let me talk to the Railway Guys and see what comes. I am sure if nothing works out some sort of private justice can still be arranged. I ahve the contact numbers of all the bikers involved in the accident.
The railway guys cannot blame me for the theft of official ID card since I am too a government employee and its standard for an officer to confiscate an employees ID card in case of any misbehaviour by the employee so that it can be taken as proof of the involvement of the said employee.
Old 27th April 2008, 11:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
C'mon guys why strike a pessimist note so soon. Let me talk to the Railway Guys and see what comes. I am sure if nothing works out some sort of private justice can still be arranged. I ahve the contact numbers of all the bikers involved in the accident.
The railway guys cannot blame me for the theft of official ID card since I am too a government employee and its standard for an officer to confiscate an employees ID card in case of any misbehaviour by the employee so that it can be taken as proof of the involvement of the said employee.
It's not pessimist man. It is "the thing" happening in and around India nowadays. Anyways, I would like to wish you good luck to pursue this case and do share with us the aftermath of your complaint given to railway authorities.
Old 27th April 2008, 13:27   #19
BANNED

When such things happen we have to use some brains and not get taken along by the situation. You should have no qualms in trashing the person doing such a havoc in inebriated state, later you can always hand him over to the police. In this case you guys should have taken the driver to the police station in one of your vehicles instead of calling the police and also how did you people allow the driver to go alone in his sumo ?
The damage is already done and now the Railways won't entertain your complaint as there is no evidence that he committed the accident. Just go home and have a beer.
Old 27th April 2008, 14:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
When such things happen we have to use some brains and not get taken along by the situation. You should have no qualms in trashing the person doing such a havoc in inebriated state, later you can always hand him over to the police. In this case you guys should have taken the driver to the police station in one of your vehicles instead of calling the police and also how did you people allow the driver to go alone in his sumo ?
The damage is already done and now the Railways won't entertain your complaint as there is no evidence that he committed the accident. Just go home and have a beer.
What do you mean by no evidence? He has the contact numbers of the bikers who were at the scene of the accident whose statements can be accounted as an evidence.

Last edited by Mission_Safari : 27th April 2008 at 14:22.
Old 28th April 2008, 00:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

@Zaks : We didnot let him go alone. The police were at the scene and the ASI was helping him reverse the vehicle so that he could ride with him but even before he could open the door the driver just accelerated and ran off.
Old 28th April 2008, 09:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Abusive language is STRICTLY prohibited on this community, even if used indirectly (*****). Do NOT use inappropriate language on Team-BHP.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2008 at 13:13.
Blue Thunder is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th April 2008, 11:56   #23
LLL
BHPian

Its a standard practice to give the keys back to driver. Once my company cab rear-ended a private car and the other guy called the cops. Cops asked both the cars to follow them to the police station.

Since they had the numbers of both the cars, fleeing would have meant a hit and run case.

In this case, the cops are idiots. They can royally screw the sumo driver by claiming he was drunk and then tried to run over the cops while fleeing. Sumo driver will have to pay a big lumpsum to cops to get out of the mess...that itself should be incentive enough for cops to go after the sumo.

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2008 at 13:14. Reason: removing quoted post which has been deleted.
Old 28th April 2008, 12:19   #24
BHPian

LLL fine if its a standard practice to hand over keys back to the driver and let them follow the cops, but i find it absurd that they are giving back the key to a Drunk Driver who has caused damage to vehicles and almost killed a man.
Old 28th April 2008, 14:53   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
What do you mean by no evidence? He has the contact numbers of the bikers who were at the scene of the accident whose statements can be accounted as an evidence.
I am sorry that is no "evidence" unless you get to admit by the driver that he was the one who caused the accident and was drunk. The railways will just shoo you out of their compound dude. The police could have certainly helped as he fled in front of them for which they don't even need a complaint to lock him up but they are the Indian police, you know. The probability of meeting an alien is much better than making any progress in this case.
Old 28th April 2008, 15:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
I am sorry that is no "evidence" unless you get to admit by the driver that he was the one who caused the accident and was drunk. The railways will just shoo you out of their compound dude. The police could have certainly helped as he fled in front of them for which they don't even need a complaint to lock him up but they are the Indian police, you know. The probability of meeting an alien is much better than making any progress in this case.

Although you sound pessimistic i simply loved this comparison.
Old 28th April 2008, 15:18   #27
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
LLL fine if its a standard practice to hand over keys back to the driver and let them follow the cops, but i find it absurd that they are giving back the key to a Drunk Driver who has caused damage to vehicles and almost killed a man.
I agree with you there...they shouldnt have let a drunk man take the wheel.

@wondernomad...were you able to discuss the issue with the biker? is he interested in pursuing the matter with railways and cops? If yes, you can have a case.

Cops can fall in line if you write to NHRC and commissioner. If you write to dept head and cc railway minister, things may start moving immediately.
Old 29th April 2008, 12:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

The car belongs to the Secretary to CO 1 (whatever it is) and I got to speak with the gent yesterday. Both he and the vehicle incharge seemed to know that the driver is a habitual drinker. The Secretary has asked me to formally make a complaint which I have done. He has asked for a few days to sort out the matter at their end. I have told himt hat Ill wait till Friday for him to get the things moving otherwise will speak to someone higher in the chain.
Lets see what happens. The bike guy is all game as long as he is not asked to do any running around.
Old 29th April 2008, 12:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Good job there wanderernomad. I am sure you will be able to get justice from these people. Keep up the persistance and I am sure you would be able to get them to compensate you for your loss.
Old 29th April 2008, 14:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Good job Wander!

It is high time we stop these drunk maniacs lurking on the Roads!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks