Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2008, 22:59   #196
BANNED

Now, now let's not go about badgering the IT companies for the city problems. Sure they have added a lot of traffic and people to this city but they have also contributed heavily in terms of tax to the state and jobs and just imagine how many of subsidiary employments have been created because of them- The err..taxi's are an example.
The government has basically failed to be proactive in developing the city. Have you noticed that Karnataka figures in the amongst the most corrupt states in India along with Bihar . It has always been like that here- the govts are total nimcompoops when it comes to governance. Add to that the sudden boom in outsourcing in the late nineties- result, tha city and state was caught unawares and is now bearing the brunt!
In Bangalore the traffic problem is unlike anywhere else and hence you have to have a very good amount of patience when driving in the city, that too when driving 4 wheelers. For an example when I was in US for the first time I was amazed at their no-honking practice and have been following that myself for a few years now. I don't use my horn more than a couple of times in my entire 18km commute to the office. Lest you start thinking otherwise, there is absolutely no delay because of that. I have seen that honking is only helpful in extreme situations. I suggest you guys to try it out for yourself and you will be amazed that its a no brainer .
Old 17th April 2008, 12:31   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
If i were Pai, i would seriosuly move out of karnataka. there is a huge floater employee population which will not complain about moving out.

As far as land is concerned, infy has huge land banks elsewhere and can lease off the karnataka facilities to other IT companies.

Let karnataka govt loose the revenue from Infy/IT and then we shall see about who comes to its knees.

About delusions of grandeur, what is mysore without Infy? Bangalore's IT haven status will come crashing when news spreads around the world.
Many bangalaoreans also want Pai to move out asap.. But he is not obliging ,He just threatens and takes 3 steps back.( by applying for 300 more acres of land in sarjapur , for example ).

Infy cant lease their facility to others as per law. as this Land is subsidised, it is allotted for a specific purpose . If there is a deviation , government can take it back.The end use cant be changed without the governments permission.

What revenue loss ? Most of their units are on tax holiday. Even infosys staff buses were / are registered in Tamilnadu and used to fill diesel in hosur, as it was cheaper there.

Infy moved to Mysore just a few years ago. Mysore is a city with a rich cultural past for centuries. I dont agree that there is no mysore without infy.
Old 17th April 2008, 12:41   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Infy moved to Mysore just a few years ago. Mysore is a city with a rich cultural past for centuries. I dont agree that there is no mysore without infy.
I second that. Mysore was always well know even before Infy came up !!
Old 17th April 2008, 13:19   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
As re. Mysore, I have not met anyone who has good things to say about INFY. Their occupation of thousands of acres in exchange for pathetic levels of employment is a scam. If we simply grow brinjals or bananas there it could add more to our GDP.
Pathetic tire 3 cities like mysore, hubli, (some years back bangalore) have all benefited tremendously by the IT boom. What were these towns a decade back? Who in their right senses would want to come to such places?

Dont the current land owners benefit due to extremely high rentals, property prices, cost of living? Doesnt the average shopkeeper charge more from so called 'IT folks'? Which other city in this world would a pathetic 2 room house, be renting at 15k per month, with the approach road non tarred, running with sewage and pigs?

All those brinjal growing folks are committing suicide even now, please look at other rural areas of karnataka, atleast the folks in bangalore, mysore, mangalore and other IT corridors, have options of alternate employments. The guys who have directly benefited from IT are
1) Land owners
2) Small/medium retailers
3) Maids/Cooks/Servants
4) Transport organizations (Auto wallas, cabbies, yellow plates)
5) Yoga/other type of instructors
6) Gym wallas
7) Please add to this list.

Who are the ones protesting? Some jealous people, who feel by merely being born in karnataka, they all must be absorbed by Infosys and given 1lac a month salaries. This is similar to the vile MNS by Raj Thakerey, asking for 80% reservations in all jobs within Maharashtra.
Old 17th April 2008, 13:22   #200
Senior - BHPian

@zaks: Thanks for your insight into Bangalore city. You may not be aware that traffic problems are persistent in many cities and are as bad as in Bangalore. You need to stay in different places for a period of time to know that.
You were amazed by what you saw in the U.S ? Have you been to New York ? There's honking, theres sneaking in from right or left. Its a matter of how much used or abused a given resource is.
Old 17th April 2008, 13:29   #201
BANNED

I thought IT benefits all .
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The guys who have directly benefited from IT are
7) Please add to this list.
FYI, of 80,000 odd employees of Infy, just 531 draw salary more than 2 lakhs per month (IT pays well, but only to a few lucky ones- ITeS-Infotech-The Economic Times).
Quote:
Who are the ones protesting? Some jealous people, who feel by merely being born in karnataka, they all must be absorbed by Infosys and given 1lac a month salaries.
Old 17th April 2008, 13:31   #202
Senior - BHPian

Traffic condition is becoming very bad in almost all developing cities like B'lore, Pune, Mumbai, etc. Unless and until citizens take the initiative and become self disciplined, the situation will go from bad to worse.

I also saw that there is quite a bit of IT bashing going on in this thread! Please stick to the relevant topic.
Old 17th April 2008, 14:03   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
I second that. Mysore was always well know even before Infy came up !!
Quite agree. The mysore zoo was pretty much popular those days. The trains running between Bangalore & Mysore were some of the best too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
I also saw that there is quite a bit of IT bashing going on in this thread! Please stick to the relevant topic.

I hope no one goes to the extent to say that the goons in the Sumo were from the IT segment. LOL
Old 17th April 2008, 14:07   #204
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
I thought IT benefits all .

FYI, of 80,000 odd employees of Infy, just 531 draw salary more than 2 lakhs per month (IT pays well, but only to a few lucky ones- ITeS-Infotech-The Economic Times).
uh? This research is bull****. 2 lakhs p.m means 24 lakhs p.a.

What percent of Indian population draws more than 24 lakhs p.a?

BTW, i have nothing to do wih Infy.
Old 17th April 2008, 14:11   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Quite agree. The mysore zoo was pretty much popular those days. The trains running between Bangalore & Mysore were some of the best too.
Even the mysore palace !!

Quote:
The guys who have directly benefited from IT are
1) Land owners
2) Small/medium retailers
3) Maids/Cooks/Servants
4) Transport organizations (Auto wallas, cabbies, yellow plates)
5) Yoga/other type of instructors
6) Gym wallas
Coud't agree more to it !!
Old 17th April 2008, 14:17   #206
BANNED

Which research?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
uh? This research is bull****
In India, there are
1,00,00 $ millionaires
31,17,843 households are Rs millionaires
Quote:
2 lakhs p.m means 24 lakhs p.a.
What percent of Indian population draws more than 24 lakhs p.a?
Old 17th April 2008, 14:22   #207
Team-BHP Support

I think it is high time to close this thread. Unless valid reasons are given to keep it open, I will close it soon.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2008, 14:27   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Even the mysore palace !!
People seem to be forgetting the Brindavan Gardens altogether.

After living in Bangalore, Mysore seems to be a lazy city. My colleague has this comment about Mysore, "All shops close b'ween 1 pm and 4 pm for lunch there. Even the hotels"

But on a serious note, it is really disheartening to see these street fights happening in Bangalore almost everyday. Enough has been said about the road conditions, but when it comes to following the traffic rules, I see the same people who comment a lot about bad infrastructure in Bangalore drive on footpaths.

Back to the topic, I am really sorry to hear about the rowdy incident. I am also one of those guys who would want to give it back to the people who behave irresponsibly. But, your incident and many others' experiences gets me to rethink on my behaviour.

It is really difficult to comprehend the other person's attitude on the roads. There have been cases where I pointed out their mistakes to some people and they rightly acknowledged me and apologised to me. But, upon pointing their mistakes, some people become very violent.

If it is my mistake on the roads, I will be the first person to acknowledge the same.
Old 17th April 2008, 14:32   #209
BANNED

Rowdy incidents in Bangalore

How about making a representation to the police about this menace?

The reason why I suggested this is, some time back the IT women folk made a representation to Govt to speed up Hosur road construction, so that they can spend less time travelling and more time with the family.

Last edited by diabloo : 17th April 2008 at 14:45.
Old 17th April 2008, 14:55   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
People seem to be forgetting the Brindavan Gardens altogether.
Not any longer,dude. When I took my kids on a Mysore trip in May 2006, I told them to wait with bated breath for the last and best part of the tour: Brindavan Gardens. I had held fond memories of those lovely gardens when I had visited them in 1979 and 1987.

Little did I know of how badly things had deteriorated since then. The gardens were shabby, half of the fountains on the terraced steps were not working, and the worst part was that the musical fountain was only throwing water upto a height of 5 or 6 feet ! Even the public toilets were extremely shoddy, and had a long line for the women's loo.

My kids blatantly told me that there was nothing charming over there.
My heart still cries for those resplendent moments in the 70s and 80s.
Those gardens are an absolute no-no now.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks