Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:55   #166
Senior - BHPian

Teen Haath Naka junction in Thane is a favourite hunting ground for the enuchs. Whenever I have to cross this junction, I simply roll up the windows, pretend I am busy on phone or seacrh for Cd's. The enuchs come, rap on the windows, wait for a few minutes and then move off when they realize I'm not paying. Sometimes the traffic moves and I move ahead. At times I have been cursed that I dont have humanity to pay them a mere Rs 5 but I dont care, frankly till date I have not been affected.
Sometimes they get bold enough to put int heir hand when I am in the process of rolling up the windows and then its my turn to curse them.
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:56   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
For the past few days, I have observed that these eunuchs have totally disappeared from Sony World Junction.

Not that I am complaining, but does someone know what is the reason for this sudden change.

Have the authorities taken some action against them ?

Rohan
The Karnataka government started an anti-beggary drive in Bangalore few days ago. Any beggars who are found, including eunuchs, are taken to BBMP shelters for medical tests and rehabilitation.

From what I know, the Sony World eunuchs belong to a community just outside of Hosur. They commute to "work" from Hosur to Bangalore everyday. You can see the Sony World eunuchs waiting for the bus at Madiwala market.

OT: Pls. watch this Tamil movie named "Naan Kadavul". It will open your eyes about begging. I don't know much Tamil but could still figure it out.

For all you guys advocating paying 1-2 or more bucks thinking you are helping these people, please do not do that. Keep the money and try and know the less privileged people around you. You will find lots of them in your neighborhood. Try and help them in food or education and that will help all of us.
nowwhat? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:58   #168
Senior - BHPian

I heard horror things from a relative of mine in Kolkatta. Looks like in Kolkatta its a tradition to bless the new borns with eunuchs & obviously blessings are not done free but with a fee; hence these eunuchs keep looking out for signals of new born & come to the house with a huge gang to bless (extort money).

It once so happened that our relative was keeping hush hush on the new born & somehow they came to know after 3-4 months by looking at one of the baby cloth put outside for drying which was by mistake; they came with a big gang to bless & demanded Rs 5000 for blessing & finally after several hours of negotiation they blessed the baby for Rs 1500.

I'm glad to be in a place where there're less number of them & even if they exist, they beg only in the shops & commercial establishments & no horrifying experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
I simply turned to one of them and said Namastey folding both my hands with a genuine smile(not sarcastic in any way). Suggestion worth trying once!!
I'll keep the above in mind; worth trying.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:50   #169
BHPian

Eunuch begging is all the highway NH8. I may not give a ten rupee to a handicapped beggar but always keep Rs 100 change in the glove to avoid eunuch nuissance. In fact, I pay toll later, but the eunuch first while entering the toll plaza.
Old 16th June 2012, 14:15   #170
Senior - BHPian

Eunuch Menace(Moron Scratched the car)-How to Deal with it.

So it happened today evening in sector 9 chandigarh.
As usual eunuch's started troubling us while we were just hanging around.
We ignored them while they kept blaberring and slowly they moved on to their next prey.Now as i got in the car,along with a friend,out of nowhere they came up again and started beating on windows.

Being stuck in traffic i was not able to drive off,and i kept ignoring,i totally lost it when the moron started scratching the windows with nails,and then continued on to fender and bonnet,i got so pissed that i parked the car and came out and would have thrashed him\her black and blue.
Then my friend asked me to calm down.Scratches arent that deep,but I am not the one who will watch them do whatever they want to just because he\she is an eunuch.The main concern,is to how to deal with these morons,in situations like these.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 16th June 2012 at 14:17.
Old 16th June 2012, 14:48   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Eunuch Menace(Moron Scratched the car)-How to Deal with it.

Same is the case with beggars also.It happened to me in Patna once when the kid started scratching on the rear passenger door.I saw him in rearview mirror and opened my door,that bugger ran away but not before scratching little bit.I guess for such situations,best is to keep a can of pepper spray.
Old 16th June 2012, 15:05   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Same is the case with beggars also.It happened to me in Patna once when the kid started scratching on the rear passenger door.I saw him in rearview mirror and opened my door,that bugger ran away but not before scratching little bit.I guess for such situations,best is to keep a can of pepper spray.
Dealing with an eunuch,is pretty different than handling a normal beggar.
These morons can create a riot and not to mention,cops hardly take any actions against them
Old 17th June 2012, 00:43   #173
Senior - BHPian

You cannot really do anything.
Best is to keep looking straight with a stone face. No matter what they say or even if they touch/push you for money.
The more you talk to them more likely that they will fleece you.
Has worked for me. And I have experience of this in the trains running in UP where this is most extreme (at least in year 2000-2004).
Old 17th June 2012, 06:20   #174
Senior - BHPian

The "fake" eunuchs in Bangalore are quite decent that way!! Just a shake of the head and they move on.
But if there is female company in the car with you, then they persist a little bit more.
Best thing to do is to avoid eye contact and just ignore them.
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:38   #175
Team-BHP Support

re: How do you deal with transgenders begging at traffic signals?

I don't know if this is co-incidental but I just came across eunuchs at 3 diff. places in B'lore today. And the FUNNIEST part is, they were at the Banerghetta Rd entry of NICE road.. at a ripe 4am! Every truck driver was handing over some cash.

I was wondering aloud when my friend mentioned that a lot of people are superstitious about keeping the eunuchs happy (something about pissing them off bringing bad luck) and hence obliged.

Quite a business!

I spotted them at various traffic junctions on ORR later. Luckily, all I had to do was roll the windows up and they moved away.
Old 23rd June 2012, 15:23   #176
Senior - BHPian

I am really frustrated with all those eunuchs and beggars, they come and start beating the window in spite of the fact that, i told them to move on Clearly.

Few day back, i was standing at rajouri garden red light ( there are alot of all those children beggars there ), as expected 3-4 boys came near my car, one started cleaning the car with his shirt, mind you his shirt was full of buttons and he was very happily cleaning or scratching the bonnet and windscreen . I honked and gave him a look, he came near my window and started beating it, after which i lost my cool and showed a slap to him and shouted on him, he ran away then along with his group.

I really get frustrated, when all those beggars come and start cleaning the car, the fact is that they scratch it and make her dirty .

What can i do in such situations ?

When it comes to eunuchs, whenever one comes near my car at signal, i join my hands ( namaste ) and give them smile, and tell them to move on.

But when they start beating the window, i again get frustrated, after which i pump the stereo volume and look straight ahead and ignore them.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 23rd June 2012, 19:36   #177
Senior - BHPian

A situation which happend to me a couple of years back. While waiting at a red light a eunuch came over begging. As usual I refused to give him/her/it any money and told it to go away. The eunuch then thought of being smart and told me, either u hand me Rs500 now or I shall lift my clothes and u shall be embarassed!!
I merely opened my glove box and show the thing my pepper spray and asked it do you know what is this? The eunuch didnt know what a pepper spray was. I then explained the working of the spray and told him, if u lift your clothes then I shall spray to ur u know where and then it will be your turn to do a free for all strip tease in middle of the traffic signal, so pick your choice Needless to say the eunuch beat a hasty retreat....
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 23:52   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Quite a business!
Tell me about it!! People travelling in a second class compartment may not have their bank accounts over flowing with cash but most of the times I have seen approximately 50% of the people paying these eunuchs Re.1-Rs.2 and have the eunuchs bless them by getting their heads touched by them. Mind you this is only in one bogey of a second class local train of Mumbai I was travelling in I have witnessed this and there are thousands or rather lakhs of commuters travelling daily by our locals.

If I'm in a car with windows rolled down on a traffic signal and a beggar or eunuch is approaching, I simply roll the window up and ignore them or shake my head in denial. There is nothing really you can do about it.
Old 25th June 2012, 00:10   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I heard horror things from a relative of mine in Kolkatta. Looks like in Kolkatta its a tradition to bless the new borns with eunuchs & obviously blessings are not done free but with a fee; hence these eunuchs keep looking out for signals of new born & come to the house with a huge gang to bless (extort money).

It once so happened that our relative was keeping hush hush on the new born & somehow they came to know after 3-4 months by looking at one of the baby cloth put outside for drying which was by mistake; they came with a big gang to bless & demanded Rs 5000 for blessing & finally after several hours of negotiation they blessed the baby for Rs 1500.
The first time heard about this was way back in 1995-96. People used to dry their baby clothes in their terraces and WAIT there for them to dry even a little bit or just dry them inside the house and risk infection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
The "fake" eunuchs

Best thing to do is to avoid eye contact and just ignore them.
Yes, actually now there are more fake eunuchs than real ones since this has become a very thriving industry. Beggars only get change, but these e - beggars get notes.

Also like you said the best thing to do is look straight and avoid any kind of eye contact.
Old 25th June 2012, 00:33   #180
BHPian

You guys might try this one out!

Look at them, smile and say, I cannot give you money everyday. I gave you yesterday, right? Say that very politely. If you find the same bunch, do smile at them everyday. Casual smile. Do not over do it.

Works for me. They recognize me now and do not disturb me. :-D
SupratikDebnath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks