Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2024, 19:42   #271
phi
BHPian

Re: Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare

Thanks, everyone. I think my wavering resolve has received enough reinforcement. Will politely ask for self parking when I go there, and will update the group on how it went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
And I own a humble Swift and had my fair share of valets from hell. One might think of me as finicky or whatever but who cares what they think, they are just temporary people who will be around in your life for a very short time.
Some time last year, I drove in my old i20 to a five star hotel, all dusty after a day-long drive, boot and rear seat full with some technical equipment that I had loaded on the way, to carry back when I returned to my hometown. The valet who took the key for parking was indignant as I explained to him that I need to ensure that that equipment is kept safe while the car was in parking.

Then, when we were leaving after a few days, it took them a long time to get the car from parking, and my wife and I were joking to each other that they had probably buried our car somewhere out of sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't think there is any guarantee of that at all! Probably the majority of valet-parked cars are returned to the owner with no problems at all. Just, none of us want to be one of the unfortunate minority, and I think that is entirely justified.
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I haven't stayed at the particular property (I'm assuming the one next to UB City on Lavelle Rd?), but whenever I've visited for a meal/meeting, they've never made a fuss over letting me self-park.
Yes, the same hotel. Good to know that they allow to self-park.

Quote:
Just tell the valet desk politely that you'd prefer to self-park and ask for directions to guest parking. Find a spot a little out of the way if you don't intend to use the car a few days, and tip the parking security guy to keep an eye on your car.

Unless you avail valet services or park in a spot where your car would likely need to be moved to accomodate thoroughfare, they're unlikely to insist on keeping your keys. Nothing a polite word and a little tip can't sort out, don't worry.
Thanks much, this is very useful input. Will follow your advice.

Quote:
P.S. If Italian food is your thing, Alba @ JW Marriott makes some fantastic stuff. The ravioli is *chef's kiss emoji*.
Haven't been to Alba before. Will give it a try this time if I can. I love Sushi, and last time I stayed here, I tried Shiro that was right next door - loved that experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeard View Post
Don't worry about being "cheap", its your car if something goes wrong you will lament for not having been cheap enough...
Definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
No experience with 5* hotels. But with hotels upto 4*, I have never handed over mine to a valet, and it was a humble Etios Liva, mind you. Never had a bad experience, I was always guided to the dedicated parking, unaccompanied.
The most recent was at Grand Estancia, Salem, in my new Honda City.
All my experiences are at hotels in TN and KL.
Yes, I have taken my Kodiaq to a few 3/4 star hotels over the last 4 months, and never had a problem with self parking. Taking it to a five star one for the first time and I guess I was starting to suffer from low intensity imposter syndrome. Thanks to all of you for setting it right.

Last edited by phi : 21st April 2024 at 19:43. Reason: Typo fix
phi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 20:28   #272
BHPian

On 14th July, I went to East Coast at Madras Square restaurant for dinner with my friends. I reached around 8 PM and left at 11.30 PM. I reached home, parked my car and slept off. I didn't need my car till 21st July. I was shocked to see a big dent in the dickey, above the number plate. I am 100% sure that the dent was caused by the Valet at the Restaurant. I reached the Hotel Manager and asked him to check the video footage. He hasn't got back to me yet. I am very disappointed that they did this to my vehicle and didn't even have the courtesy to let me know, when I left that place. Wish I had noticed it there itself. This has greatly impacted my demeanour in the last two days.

Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare-whatsapp-image-20240721-17.29.51-1.jpeg

Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare-whatsapp-image-20240721-17.29.51.jpeg

Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare-whatsapp-image-20240721-17.29.52-1.png

Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare-whatsapp-image-20240721-17.29.52-2.png

Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare-whatsapp-image-20240721-17.29.52.jpeg
Nazzy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 00:12   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy View Post
Wish I had noticed it there itself.
Don't expect them to accept their fault especially after few days of the incident. All you had to do is just go around the car once to make sure everything looks okay and there's no major damage. Your damage could've been easily seen if you had taken a quick look around the car before driving off. I would just suggest to claim insurance and consider this as an lesson to check your vehicle for any damages before collecting your vehicle from any valet service.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 02:57   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

This is very bad, and I'm very sorry for you, but, as Funny says, without an immediate complaint, I doubt that you'll get the restaurant to pay.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 15:19   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
All you had to do is just go around the car once.
Yes, I agree. But that was the last thing I had in mind. Lesson for life though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
.. I'm very sorry for you, ...
Thank you. I have accepted that fact. Will check with my Honda SA and go through the insurance process.
Old 31st July 2024, 17:11   #276
BHPian

[quote=Nazzy;5808048]On 14th July, I went to East Coast at Madras Square restaurant for dinner with my friends. I reached around 8 PM and left at 11.30 PM. I reached home, parked my car and slept off. I didn't need my car till 21st July. I was shocked to see a big dent in the dickey, above the number plate. I am 100% sure that the dent was caused by the Valet at the Restaurant. I reached the Hotel Manager and asked him to check the video footage. He hasn't got back to me yet. ..

Got the car back from body shop. Total cost was INR 18000, ICICI Lombard covered INR 16000.
Attached Thumbnails
Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare-whatsapp-image-20240731-16.46.18.png  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks