Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2007, 13:58   #1
BHPian

Change in License exams due?

[This may not exactly fit into this section so I would request mods to move it if required.]

I was thinking about how stupidly these auto drivers drive and also how many 2 wheeler riders weave in and out of traffic. This set me thinking a little bit. I myself am more of a biker than a driver and maybe at times I too have driven irresponsibly(not purposely of course), but I do believe that I drive keeping in mind others on the road. So, I just couldn't understand why some people drive/ride so irresponsibly on the roads.

Well, I cant answer that question but it didnt get me thinking on how we can improve the situation. I think that there should be a common license(no such thing as 'motorcycle with gear, motorcycle without gear, LMV, HMV, LCV etc). We should have a unified license scheme where each license holder should have demonstrated competence in driving a 2wheeler(scooter/bike) and a 4-wheeler(sedan) and only then will he be given a license. The commercial license holder should have driven these two categories in addition to their commercial vehicle(bus/truck/whatever).

This way, at least people will be educated on the road sense of 2 wheeler rider and 4 wheeler drivers. The main problem with 2 wheelers, is that they think they can weave between cars and dont realise the handicaps and blind spots that car drivers have. This is what leads to most of the accidents. Similarly car drivers should also know the blind spots of trucks/buses (especially without cleaners). Every driver should also be able to judge the reaction times of the other types of vehicles on the street. Many bikers tend to think that trucks have more powerful brakes so can stop on a whim, whereas its not true because of the intertia factor. 2 wheelers can stop quicker and steer out of a situation faster than a truck and so should let the trucker pass by instead of trying to cut in front of him at crossings.

Such education can only be supplemented if the rider has first hand experience in the other types/classes of vehicles. Of course, one still cannot trust auto rick drivers and cabbies and corrupt officials. At least for the rest there is some hope for better road sense. What do you think?
Old 18th October 2007, 15:02   #2
HKP
BHPian

Enforcement is more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
We should have a unified license scheme where each license holder should have demonstrated competence in driving a 2wheeler(scooter/bike) and a 4-wheeler(sedan) and only then will he be given a license.
I can't ride a two wheeler buddy, do you think I should learn that to drive a car. I have been driving for almost 5-6 yrs.

Secondly, the problem is not with the license test. Its in the application. while on the road, people are breaking rules not because they are not aware of the dangers, but because it seems to save time [ though not true!]. Only strict traffic vigilance can solve this problem.

We need to have good traffic police systems with adequate technological backup like cameras, skilled manpower, computers etc can solve the issue. Traffic policing is very much outdated in our cities. Govt. need to invest in this area seriously. RTO needs to be integrated with Traffic management to improve traffic discipline. Traffic police should have better cars and bikes and communication system. Bottom line is to have strict enforcement to end the chaos. Some serious will power and strong administration can only do that.

\hkp

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks