Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2008, 23:22   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Lol - the minute I go ahead, his ego reared up & the next thing I know, he zooms past dangerously from the left & sharply cuts in right, ahead of a few vehicles in front. So I keep my course (left lane) & my speed. I normally hold a steady 120 on this stretch at that hour of the day but seeing that this dude was going to indulge in some dirty & dangerous driving, I kept a close lookout & a slightly lower speed.

Despite this, I passed him because he was losing time in dangerously lurching from lane to lane. Now, guess what? The minute he sees me ahead, he just takes off again zipping from right to extreme left, almost rear-ended a Honda CRV who didn't see him sneaking in, braked hard, zipped back to the right & then went half a km ahead.

All this time, yours truly was holding a steady & straight course. Now, we were approaching the newly inaugurated RTR Marg flyover so he slows down in the left lane & lets me go past again. I knew what he was aiming to do - get my goat - but I was determined not to lose my cool especially since my daughter was in the car.

Now this flyover curves right & then at a point curves left towards Dhaula Kuan with the straight going to Outer Ring Road and at this intersection point, the road narrows to a three lane. I could see our man speeding up again as we approached the narrow section - I was in the middle lane - then he screamed by in the right hand lane; once again, I held my speed & let him through (I was holding around 80-90 on the curve so he must have taken it in excess of 110). At the red light at the end of the expressway, where we turn right to Dhaula Kuan, we were standing side by side (I was on his left). When it turned green, he cut right, cut left, almost hit a couple of cars & a two-wheeler then zoomed off after dangerously overtaking a truck from the extreme left with half his wheels off the road.
Moral of the story: Scorpio runs rings around the Safari.
Old 1st February 2008, 09:24   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Yeah right....more about that later!
Old 1st February 2008, 09:55   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post

So I reached my Office in the morning & was introspecting for a good half an hour - what's with these nuts? Anyone? What do they try to prove? Is it inert repression, is it a monster ego or what?

I know what a Scorpio can do on a straight line and on a curve. I let one overtake me if he is on a do or die mode, especially when its a younger driver.

Only if people understand that 'With power comes responsibilty' .

Last edited by jkdas : 1st February 2008 at 10:05.
Old 1st February 2008, 11:20   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdrive View Post
Scorpio is a decent driver's car.Its fun to drive within city and on highways too.
A drivers car!!!??? Try taking a corner on a scorpio to know the heights of unstability. Its like waiting to be overturned, IMHO.
Old 1st February 2008, 12:08   #170
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
the scorpio cant run rings around anyone. the only reason they do such high speeds is because, everyone is scared of them. people driving the safari are a lot more decent on the road.hence you feel that the scorpio is quicker.

any rash driver competing with a sane driver in a superior car on our highways will win. I even let rash indicabs overtake me in traffic and take my revenge when the road opens up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I know what a Scorpio can do on a straight line and on a curve. I let one overtake me if he is on a do or die mode, especially when its a younger driver.

thats right, if in do or die mode, its best you let him by. in a fair drag, most of the new hatches(Jk's little santro is a sleeper) will leave the scorpio standing. just that most scorpios compensate for their lack of pace, by using their bulk to bully smaller cars into submission.

Old 1st February 2008, 12:43   #171
Senior - BHPian

Here's my experience with a scorpio on GQ (NH46 beyond chennai). I was going in the right lane at around 150. I see a scorp in front of me and it doesnt want to give me way. I honk and pass him from the left lane and get back onto the right lane. There is a biker ahead going real slow right in the middle of the road so i slow down behind him waiting for him to move to the left lane.

It seems as though this guy's ego suddenly got hurt and he suddenly tries to overtake me from the left without seeing the biker and nearly takes the poor dude out. I could see he's revving and trying real hard to maintain the speed as the scorpio is all over the place with tonnes of black smoke coming out of his exhaust even though he's barely doing 120 on a dead straight road.

Needless to say I overtake the scorpio again exactly ten seconds later. Useless vehicle driven by brain dead drivers most of the time.
Old 1st February 2008, 12:55   #172
BHPian

Yes it is true that the Scorpio is a slow vehicle.

I like it's shape though and the current model is not good but some years back, there was a pure handler.
Old 1st February 2008, 14:35   #173
Senior - BHPian

Handling and scorpio dont go together mate. Whom are you trying to fool. The previous gen scorpio was based on leaf springs. That was even worse than the current gen.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 1st February 2008 at 14:36.
Old 1st February 2008, 15:04   #174
BHPian

Many scorpio fans tell me about how good it handles...i had taken the vehicle for a test drive and i honestly didn't understand how people come up with such conclusions, may be they haven't driven good vehicles that handle well? I mean even the look of this vehicle gives me a" i am gonna topple now" feel!
Old 1st February 2008, 15:54   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

JK, very well said mate, I couldn't put it better myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
any rash driver competing with a sane driver in a superior car on our highways will win.
Thanks Rippergeo, I think you've said exactly what I wanted to but resisted because I didn't want to start another debate on why I let him go or why I slowed down

Last edited by suman : 1st February 2008 at 15:55.
Old 1st February 2008, 15:54   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Here's my experience with a scorpio on GQ (NH46 beyond chennai).
Useless vehicle driven by brain dead drivers most of the time.
Dead On Mate.... Use less vehicles with brain-dead...!!!
We have back home local dadas in each 'Pettai' like those Gallies in the North... They can make all the show in their Pettai / Gully only...
Likewise, the Scorpio is Dada within the city, among hundreds of Indicas, Altos, Zens and Santros looking at them as 'dada', but when it comes to stand in front of real muscles, this is just a Glittering Soap-Box....
Old 1st February 2008, 16:38   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Dead On Mate.... Use less vehicles with brain-dead...!!!
We have back home local dadas in each 'Pettai' like those Gallies in the North... They can make all the show in their Pettai / Gully only...
Likewise, the Scorpio is Dada within the city, among hundreds of Indicas, Altos, Zens and Santros looking at them as 'dada', but when it comes to stand in front of real muscles, this is just a Glittering Soap-Box....
Now this is a very new way of looking at this.

And true, very true.
Old 1st February 2008, 16:51   #178
BHPian

Hi Folks,
The animosity levels are too high for a scorpio!!!!!!
Hope Team BHP does not ban Scorpio owners on this forum.
C'mon folks lets accept that it is the man behind the wheel who matters on any car.It may be true that the vehicle looks intimidating to other road users.Indian Psyche is to do just that..
I drive my SX-4 and Scorpio .Most vehicles give way for the suv.
It is this feeling of power which corrupts some.Not all!
Old 1st February 2008, 17:44   #179
BHPian

Gents...Gents...Gents.....pls slow down....i think the bashing was more than it deserves.

Can anyone compare this to the performance of the new 2.2L scorpio. May be we could give them a chance to close closer, should I say??
Old 1st February 2008, 18:10   #180
Senior - BHPian

Yes, we are going too far with this bashing thing. Let us not blame the car here... does it really makes sense?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks