Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2007, 17:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

BDA chief's son killed in SUV accident

Quote:
BANGALORE: Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) commissioner M K Shankarlinge Gowda’s son M S Sandeep (24) died in a road accident in Chikmagalur district on Saturday.

Sandeep, an engineer, and seven of his friends were driving in an SUV towards Jog Falls for the weekend when the rear axle of the jeep snapped and the vehicle rolled over.
Read full story here

Is anyone aware of which SUV he was driving ???
Old 30th September 2007, 17:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Read full story here

Is anyone aware of which SUV he was driving ???
Old gen Toyota Prado.
Old 30th September 2007, 18:27   #3
Team-BHP Support

The articles are extremely contradictory. Indian express says that the SUV suffered a puncture and the driver lost control hit a pothole or something on the road and the front axle broke causing the car to flip over thrice before coming to a standstill.

This was the model:

Old 30th September 2007, 19:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

They say it was 'crushed'. Means the vehicle must have been travelling at a speed above the normal limit.Was travelling with of his friends. All of them lived except him. Sad to hear about it.Airbags??? were they present in the car???
Old 30th September 2007, 20:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

It was a bad accident with rollover 2-3 times and then we dont know if they were wearing seatbelts, their speeds etc, I donno how much of help the airbags would have provided under these conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
They say it was 'crushed'. Means the vehicle must have been travelling at a speed above the normal limit.Was travelling with of his friends. All of them lived except him. Sad to hear about it.Airbags??? were they present in the car???
Old 30th September 2007, 20:39   #6
rks
BANNED

A tragic loss of a young life and grievous injuries to others.

I sincerely hope that a thorough investigation is carried out into this accident and the cause clearly established. The condition of the vehicle including tyres, what speed was it doing, was it overloaded, what caused the rollover/axle failure, was the driver authorized/experienced enough to drive the SUV, was he sober, and so on. Did the axle failure cause the accident or was it a secondary result of the rollover?

Unfortunately I doubt if there will be any serious investigation unless the family of the victim insists on it. Others have to learn from this tragedy and take appropriate precautions while driving SUVs or handing over SUVs to their sons.
Old 30th September 2007, 21:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Indeed a tragic loss of life.

But I wonder if the RTO's here are equipped (both with equipment & people) to carry out such kind of investigations. I am totally naive on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
A tragic loss of a young life and grievous injuries to
others.

I sincerely hope that a thorough investigation is carried out into this accident and the cause clearly established. The condition of the vehicle including tyres, what speed was it doing, was it overloaded, what caused the rollover/axle failure, was the driver authorized/experienced enough to drive the SUV, was he sober, and so on. Did the axle failure cause the accident or was it a secondary result of the rollover?

Unfortunately I doubt if there will be any serious investigation unless the family of the victim insists on it. Others have to learn from this tragedy and take appropriate precautions while driving SUVs or handing over SUVs to their sons.
Old 30th September 2007, 21:48   #8
BHPian

Queer, but sad. How can the axle break like that? One doesn't hear of even an M800's axle breaking - and these cars have been braving indian roads for decades now.
Old 30th September 2007, 21:51   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Queer, but sad. How can the axle break like that? One doesn't hear of even an M800's axle breaking - and these cars have been braving indian roads for decades now.

As to be expected, its highly unlikely the axle would have broken, and indeed been the cause of the accident. I wouldnt be surprised if it were due to inebriated driving.

Anyway, sad incident and may their souls RIP.
Old 30th September 2007, 21:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

With the story what I can make out is he would have hit a hump or road divider and then the vehicle mighthave toppled over. Otherwise, Prado is a good vehicle and the axle will not snap just like that.
Old 30th September 2007, 21:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this accident.

One reason why such incidents happen with SUVs in India people treat SUV more than CAR, they drive it as a car. Actually its not advisible to drive any SUV on Indian roads speeds more than 80kmph.

Good Sedans or even Swift we can cross 120kmph easily but not SUV.

People negotiate dangerous turns especially in highways like tumkur - shimoga which doesnot deserve as national highway.

I travelled many occassions in this highway and travelled just a day before
this accident happened. No traffic in this road make driver increase the speed but unexpected dangerous turns, cows, bikes, road humps appear since it crosses lot of villages.

There are spots where front visibility is hardly 10 mtrs because of bad slopes of road. Some places road width is enough to pass 2 SUVs. So If there is Bus or Truck and SUV sometimes its difficult.

Accident happened couple of weeks back 2 people from my place died :( near arasikere in same highway. Now a days most of the National highways are in bad condition so road travel even in day time has become nightmare.

I guess somehow people loose control and blame goes on vehicle. In most of the occassions If we drive the vehicle to its ability/characteristics we can minimize accidents.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 30th September 2007 at 22:01.
Old 1st October 2007, 13:04   #12
BHPian

Sad to hear that a promising young life was snuffed out on our roads. Per Times of India it was a broken axle that caused the vehicle to turn over.

Reading about this incident reminded me of another wherein a popular politician's son in Maharashtra died while driving from Mumbai-Pune road. It was only after that that the Pune-Mumbai expressway work was expedited and finished and efforts are made to maintain it in good and safe condition.

BDA is the authority that has developed the Ring Road where accidents continue to take place. Will this incident spur the Chief to ensure that that particular and other roads that are to be maintained by BDA are now maintained in a manner that so as to cause less accidents (including ensuring that sand doesnt get accumulated on the roads which causes 2 wheeler riders to skid).
Old 1st October 2007, 13:09   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
BDA is the authority that has developed the Ring Road where accidents continue to take place. Will this incident spur the Chief to ensure that that particular and other roads that are to be maintained by BDA are now maintained in a manner that so as to cause less accidents (including ensuring that sand doesnt get accumulated on the roads which causes 2 wheeler riders to skid).

Highly unlikely. Esp with the political situation prevailing.
Old 1st October 2007, 14:32   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
With the story what I can make out is he would have hit a hump or road divider and then the vehicle mighthave toppled over. Otherwise, Prado is a good vehicle and the axle will not snap just like that.
Must have been going fast, the tyre blew and the suddenly downforce of the car's weight would have snapped the axle
Old 1st October 2007, 14:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

This is just a reminder to everyone that things can go wrong and if it does it might cost one dear!

Keepng the vehicle in a good shape esp the once which are used for long drives(high speeds)

I nearly paid with my life for the negligience of the mechanic couple of years back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks