Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2024, 08:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Parking clamp ends up damaging my alloy wheel

A few days ago, I had some work in Belapur and as many might know, finding a parking spot there is a pain. I roamed about for 10 mins before ending up parking in this spot. Now, I ensured there were no 'no parking' signs around and even ensured that my was car was not in the way.

After my chores (say 30 mins) I came up and saw a clamped wheel, with a sticker with a phone number stuck on the driver's window. I called the number and they said someone would come over.

5 mins later, a lad comes up on a bike with a bunch of keys and unclamps. We discuss lack of signages and I pay the fine and he goes on his merry way. Last night, while checking my wheels, I saw a nice little spot where the paint was scrapped on the front right wheel. It took me a few moments to put two and two together that this was a result of the clamp.

Now, don't get me wrong, if it's my mistake, I'm happy to pay the fine and ensure it doesn't happen again, but I'm sure the authorities can handle it much better. With online challan system being activated, why can't the cops just fine the offenders instead of going with the hassle of clamping 4 wheelers and picking up 2 wheelers.

I ended up being quite sad to see my car's alloy scratched like this. We take good care of our cars and it's just a mood killer.

Just sharing this experience out here with the wild hopes that someone in the higher-ups sees this and implements a better system.

Parking clamp ends up damaging my alloy wheel-img_8492.jpg

Parking clamp ends up damaging my alloy wheel-img_8491.jpg

Parking clamp ends up damaging my alloy wheel-img_8514.jpg
blackwasp is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 09:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Parking clamp ends up damaging my alloy wheel

I am sorry for what you faced. But this is the bitter truth about how majority of the times, given their old school training and mindsets, especially due to the beyond outdated Police Act of 1861, cops in India are ultra-arrogant, unprofessional and behave as if they are above the law. So they do not care about damage to someone else's property whether they are at fault or not. And forget cars and bikes, they do not even spare bicycles. Several times on bicycles, I have had to literally argue with them, and it seems that their attitudes do not seem to change -

* In 2010, while living in Pune, for riding on Lakdi Bridge, where bicycles were not allowed, they deflated tires of bicyclists. I was once a victim of that, but I started recording, to then upload on Facebook, since YouTube and Instagram were at infancy. The cops threatened to confiscate my phone and impound my bicycle, to which I said that wait, let me call someone in Delhi, as my father used to live there. One constable said let it be, you can go, but be careful next time. As a minor, I was lucky, and subsequently, I evaded them as much as possible after riding on the bridge. For once, I even rammed into a constable on that bridge, but somehow I escaped after pedaling as fast as possible.

* Same year, while riding to Jr College (my 12th), my brakes on the bicycles were not working properly, and I ended up ramming into a tow truck, and it caused a dent near the taillight. A constable sitting inside the cabin of the truck came down, saw the damage, and asked me if I was drunk. Furious with this remark, I said you guys have the audacity to damage other's vehicles, but you have an issue if a bicyclists damages your piece of junk. He got upset with the insult and it let to a verbal argument. The situation escalated when his men took my bicycle(I was not on it), put it on the truck, and the arrogant cop told me to pay fines for the damages at the police station and then only it will be released. I was about to deflate the wheels on the truck(even thought of smashing the windshield), when his senior on patrolling arrived at the scene after seeing the bicycle on the truck bed, and de-escalated the situation. He ordered the constable to release my bicycle after listening to my story, and people around me, leaving me with a warning once again.

* In July 2018, as an adult, and now living in the US, I was visiting my uncle in Mumbai and took his bicycle for a joyride, when I was riding on a bridge that was not allowed for 2-wheelers(no mention of bicycles). Do not remember where it was, but as soon as I descended, a cop stopped me, demanded my license, and said that I should pay a penalty of Rs 200. Questioning on what charges, he issued a receipt and charged me under a relevant section of the Motor Vehicles Act. After searching on Google, I found that the MVA did not mention any penalties against bicycles. I refused to pay the fine after showing him my phone screen, so he used a clamp on the bicycle tire. Since the situation did not get any better, his senior came and released me, and requested that I do not ride on bridges for my own safety. I replied that either you put signs on bridges regarding bicycles, or you should give warnings if someone pedaling enters by mistake.

* Days after the Phase 1 of Coastal road opened, I started pedaling on that road, as I was looking to clear my head after my paternal grandfather passed in his sleep at 97(he loved bicycling too like me but stopped by the age of 80). After I exited the tunnel, 2 cops pulled me over, stating that there are no bicycles allowed - despite my mental state, I had observed about no bicycle signs, which I stated to them as well. When one of them demanded my license, I refused, and he issued penalties for three offenses - riding on prohibited road though section was used 179 which mentioned disobeying authority(Rs 1000), dangerous driving under section 184(Rs 1000), and riding without license under section 181(Fine Rs 5000). While again none of them came under MVA, I argued, and recorded all on my phone. Things escalated when I asked them to take it from the coffers of BMC after mentioning about corruption in both cops and BMC, which I used something that was insulting(called BMC as Bhrastachari Municipal Corporation in front of them). One of them locked a wheel of the bicycle, while other one went to the side called a tow truck, later stating that they will tow away my bicycle for non payment of penalties. Before the truck came, I disclosed my badge of United States Air Force, saying that if they seize my bicycle for absurd rules and detain me, they will have to answer the Government and give me humane treatment under the Geneva Conventions. The cops were clueless about this, and seeing no way out, they just let me off with a warning. Before I left, I also showed my photos in Uniform, which left them surprised, stating the it does look good.

I will say that from all this, cops are unprofessional, careless, greedy, and irresponsible. It does not apply to all, but the actions of most of them damages the reputation of everyone. Furthermore, it is unbelievable that most of Indian Police personnel who learn a lot of things in training do not know a thing about the Geneva Conventions - although it is mostly applicable during war, law enforcement and armed forces are under obligation to grant humane treatment to service members of other nations, or else it becomes an international incident and can stain the nation indulging in that.

Last edited by Beemer1077 : 16th September 2024 at 09:55. Reason: Added some missing points, improved grammer
Beemer1077 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 09:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I ended up being quite sad to see my car's alloy scratched like this. We take good care of our cars and it's just a mood killer.
Sad to see this happen, a small scratch is all that is enough to put us off for the day. I would rather look at this as a minimal damage, atleast the car wasn't towed away, which would have resulted in an even more severe damage (bumper, fender and what not), perils of owning a car in India i say.
rakesh_r is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 11:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I ended up being quite sad to see my car's alloy scratched like this
Sorry for you @blackwasp. Some views as follows:

1. The damage/scratch wouldn't have been this deep on a hyper silver alloy (like the yesteryear ones)
2. Most alloy wheels that have been painted black or any other shade will show up even the slightest scratch prominently. This is coz the layer of finish is quite thin. I was evaluating an Ignis for someone last week and found the alloys had picked up a lot of scratches. There was this limited edition Pajero Sport in end-2014 that came painted bronze. Even that example showed the bronze disappearing.

If the cops are kind enough, I'd request them to line the clamps with soft rubber so that this damage to the alloys can be prevented or at least made negligible.

Last edited by vigsom : 16th September 2024 at 11:59.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 13:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
5 mins later, a lad comes up on a bike with a bunch of keys and unclamps. We discuss lack of signages and I pay the fine and he goes on his merry way. Last night, while checking my wheels, I saw a nice little spot where the paint was scrapped on the front right wheel. It took me a few moments to put two and two together that this was a result of the clamp.

Now, don't get me wrong, if it's my mistake, I'm happy to pay the fine and ensure it doesn't happen again, but I'm sure the authorities can handle it much better. With online challan system being activated, why can't the cops just fine the offenders instead of going with the hassle of clamping 4 wheelers and picking up 2 wheelers.
Can you kindly let us know how much was the fine?

ps: On a tangential note, why dont our cities have paid parking meters or pay via FasTag option? I'm pretty sure many folks will be happy to pay ₹50 for half hour as parking charge, rather than 500 as fine . The corporation bloke could have gone around with a scanner and charge the money from Fastag every half hour .

pps: A small tip: Maybe you could have stopped by the local adjacent store to buy some items and ask the owner to sort out the car parking. This usually works in Chennai atleast.

Last edited by SuperGirl_Dad : 16th September 2024 at 13:07. Reason: Appended more info.
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2024, 10:21   #6
BHPian

I know this hurts but don't think about it too much. I also own an Ignis with these alloys and they scratch very easily. I just keep a 50ml black enamel paint and a brush at home and patch them up when required. The paint blends in beautifully and also holds up well, I've never had to rework on a defect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks