Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2024, 12:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Additional layers of KYC are being added to Fastags

New FASTag rules mandate replacing tags older than five years.

What is this new drama?

https://www.autocarindia.com/industr...e-years-432413
Old 1st August 2024, 15:02   #2
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
New FASTag rules mandate replacing tags older than five years.

What is this new drama?

https://www.autocarindia.com/industr...e-years-432413
This has been the case from the beginning.
FAQ from NPCI page
Additional layers of KYC are being added to Fastags-screenshot-20240801-3.00.378239pm.png
Ananthponraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 16:33   #3
BHPian

One of the new rules is that you have to make 1 transaction in 3 months, else your fasttag will be deactivated. Once, it's deactivated/dormant there will be reactivation charges for when you want to use it. It's not clear at the moment what this reactivation process will be like.
I don't have any official sources to confirm this rule but this YT video from a news channel (mentioned at 2:00mins).

Last edited by NirDiwakar : 1st August 2024 at 16:35. Reason: Proper formatting
Old 1st August 2024, 17:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirDiwakar View Post
One of the new rules is that you have to make 1 transaction in 3 months, else your fasttag will be deactivated.
This is quite a harassment for a person who drives his vehicle mainly in the city/town. It means he/she would need to go to nearest toll booth and get money deducted from your tag to keep it active. Otherwise there will be chaos at toll booth when tag had money balance but is deactivated
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 17:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One of the new rules is that you have to make 1 transaction in 3 months, else your fasttag will be deactivated. Once, it's deactivated/dormant there will be reactivation charges for when you want to use it. It's not clear at the moment what this reactivation process will be like.
I don't have any official sources to confirm this rule but this YT video from a news channel (mentioned at 2:00mins).
Don't really know the authenticity of this claim but if this rule kicks in, it is going to be another stupid move. Don't know what purpose this will serve apart from forcing people to spend without a real need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
This is quite a harassment for a person who drives his vehicle mainly in the city/town. It means he/she would need to go to nearest toll booth and get money deducted from your tag to keep it active. Otherwise there will be chaos at toll booth when tag had money balance but is deactivated
If it is enforced (and the if is a big if here), it should only be a transaction right? So rather than a 'debit' transaction, we can make it a 'credit' transaction. I will just set up a reminder in my phone to recharge the fastag by Rs. 10 every quarter.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 17:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
One of the new rules is that you have to make 1 transaction in 3 months, else your fasttag will be deactivated.
I also couldn't find any official information about such rule. There a large number of users in rural areas who don't need to use toll roads frequently (I know a few people).
It seems the video has misinterpreted the updation vehicle number within 3 months of purchase of new vehicle. Not even any other news reports suggest such rule about deactivation when tag is not used for 3 months.
DetectiveMiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 17:37   #7
BHPian

A summary of all the new rules in effect today:

Additional layers of KYC are being added to Fastags-img_4207.jpeg

Source: Autocar India
Arsenic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 19:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Additionally, FASTags older than five years must be replaced entirely.
Source: Link

My HDFC tag is older than 5 years and has been working fine so far. I read this in the TOI article today and contacted HDFC to know the replacement procedure, they are clueless about it.

Does anyone here know how to replace the tag while carry forwarding current balance? Removing current tag from windshield is not going to be easy though.
Hrishi_111 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 23:19   #9
BHPian

Additional layers of KYC are being added to Fastags

As per Autocar, additional layers of KYC are being added to Fastags, and all tags older than 5 years have to be mandatorily replaced.

I fail to see the need for any of this. Tags are anyway linked to the vehicle number, which is linked to the owner, chassis and engine number.

Indian babudom continues to spend its time conjuring up new ways to make our life difficult instead of fixing the very real issues with the road infrastructure and dangerous driving conditions.

From the article:

The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has announced new regulations for the electronic tolling system known as FASTag, effective from today, August 1. These rules primarily impact vehicle owners with FASTags issued over three years ago. However, even those with recently issued FASTags must ensure their tags contain accurate information. Providers will also need to ensure that the data they collect is more comprehensive. Read on to learn about all the changes.

FASTags older than five years will need to be replaced
KYC update required for FASTags issued three years ago
FASTags need to be linked to car’s registration and chassis number
For FASTags issued five or more years ago, owners will need to replace them entirely, following the new procedures that have been put into place for those who provide the tags (detailed below). For tags issued between three and five years ago, it is mandatory to update the Know Your Customer (KYC) information to make sure it's accurate by the October 31 deadline.

In addition, all FASTags must be linked to the vehicle’s registration and the chassis (VIN) number. New vehicle owners will have 90 days from the date of purchase to complete this linking.
The new regulations also make it mandatory for FASTag providers to verify and update their vehicle databases with accurate information, including clear photographs of the vehicle’s front and side profiles. Additionally, providers must ensure that each FASTag is linked to a mobile number to enable better communication.

Failure to comply with the new norms may result in difficulties and delays at tolls due to potential tag suspension. NPCI advises owners to act promptly to avoid such occurrences.

Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/industr...e-years-432413
Mustang Sammy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 10:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

re: Additional layers of KYC are being added to Fastags

I have seen no other notification except this article from Autocar
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 10:45   #11
BHPian

re: Additional layers of KYC are being added to Fastags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
Indian babudom continues to spend its time conjuring up new ways to make our life difficult instead of fixing the very real issues with the road infrastructure and dangerous driving conditions.
Couldn't agree more. I can already envision horrendous queues forming at tolls of people caught dumbfounded realizing there tags that they probably use once a year is expired because of, erm...no reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I have seen no other notification except this article from Autocar
Surprisingly true!

Additional layers of KYC are being added to Fastags-whatsapp-image-20240801-18.49.00_8b57e442.jpg

Although I did speak to an agent who looks after our corporate account and he asked us to hold our horses as this seems to be another one of those great eureka moment of some babu. I believe after seeing queues in October, by November we should be able to see a complete reversal

Meanwhile, I am off to take a picture of my RC (front and back), and also photographs of the Vehicle from the front and the side to upload for all the tags. Hey, maybe they were just trying to make us take more pictures of our cars. I am not complaining
pratyaksh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 14:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrishi_111 View Post
Does anyone here know how to replace the tag while carry forwarding current balance? Removing current tag from windshield is not going to be easy though.
Same predicament, reaching close to 5 years. Reading about the change in rules everywhere but nowhere seeing how to get it done.

Probably this topic needs a new thread altogether so that the wider audience be benefited?
Old 2nd August 2024, 15:23   #13
BHPian

Re: Additional layers of KYC are being added to Fastags

New Fastag means, 200 Rs revenue for each tag sold. The new systemic way of looting public money to plug in budget deficits or to maintain bank's minimum balances with RBI. Cool Idea by some IRS guy to the ministry.
I like the way we are royally scammed in the name of convenience.
saisree is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 15:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

This kyc fraud is endless, the best system invented to keep money without interest, suddenly declare the tag invalid, steal your money and force you to go through the whole process again. The cars that don't use highways are penalised and this entire system is just an election slush fund, just wait till those securitised tollways are due for maintenence.

There are more employees milling about the toll booths after the whole thing was automated,
avira_tk is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 16:03   #15
Team-BHP Support

When I bought my Elevate with a Kotak Tag. Kotak were relentless in in following up on adding the RC copy. i have another car with a Kotak tag in issued in 2020 as also my old Jetta tag.

No communication whatsoever.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks