Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2024, 18:01   #1
BHPian

What is the longest that you have used Cruise Control in India?

In 2016 when i was in the US for few months, I got to drive the New Nissan Ultima and the super sexy Mazda 3. This was the first time I was driving a car which is bigger or had more features than the humble Hyundai I10. The feature that stood out the most for me was the Cruise Control. Used it extensively as I had no intentions of paying the heavy over speeding tickets in the US.

Back to India, I always wondered when will I get the opportunity to own a car with Cruise control. In 2021 post the second wave of Covid, I bought Harrier XZ+ in Orcus white. Out of the long list of new features in the car, I was very excited to try out cruise control in India.

What is the longest that you have used Cruise Control in India?-cocoside.jpg

But my joy was short lived as cruise control was almost useless. I could hardly use it for 2 minutes before braking out of it.

Reasons for lack of usability of Cruise mode which I could list out
1. Traffic
2. Slow moving vehicles blocking all lanes
3. Sudden lane merges
4. 2/3/4/6/8/12/14 wheelers all sharing the same roads
5. Sheer lack of discipline in personal 2/4 vehicles, who don't shy away from switching lanes right in front of you and braking/slowing immediately.

It took a lot of deliberation, tries, usage and effort and finally from the last 2 years I can confidently say that I am super confident and use cruise mode almost everyday.

The Longest I have used cruise:
For the purpose of this post I will use Longest/Continous cruise mode to mean no use of any of the pedals, no change in set speed and no deactivation of cruise mode.

1. Bangalore to Goa- Post Tumkur/Sira - Set speed-101 - Cruised for around 45 mins - 1 hour. This is around 80-100km in cruise mode. On multiple occasions on this route I have had 50-60kms on cruise mode continuously.

2. Mysore to Bangalore (2024 June)- Set speed - 98 - After the Expressway toll was able to cruise for almost 50 mins. This would again mean around 80 KMs on cruise.

3. Nice Road Bangalore - Set speed - 75 to 82 - My daily commute includes 20kms on Nice road in the morning & evening. From Electronic city entry to Mysore road Exit, I usually get in around 5-6kms of continuous cruise.

4. Bangalore to Vellore road - Set speed - 75 to 80 - Two weeks back on my visit near to Yelagiri Hills - I got in around 60-70 kms of cruise mode in around 3 bursts. (Speed was lower as was carrying 3 cycles on the rear with a cycle stand)
What is the longest that you have used Cruise Control in India?-cycle.jpeg

5. Other good roads for cruise mode near Bangalore -
Bangalore Airport rides, we can easily get 15-20kms on the trot.
Bangalore to Hyderabad I have got around 40-50 KMs on cruise.

Advantages of Cruise mode:

1. Mileage: The mileage I get with cruise is phenomenal. With a daily commute of 80 Kms I am able to eke out around 19+ KMPL (tank full method) in Harrier with AC. Considering half of this is in peak BLR traffic and other half is on four lane NICE road, it is really good. (I used to average 14-15KMPL earlier) On most days I am able to cover 22 kms on NICE road with only 1 or 2 usages of brake (Without using the shoulder). (BHPians if you see a White Harrier lumbering down the NICE road on weekdays at 80 with a KA51 registration, its probably me, please do wave out )
What is the longest that you have used Cruise Control in India?-mileage.jpg
Today's Mileage is at 19.6, Cruise set at 80KMPH, NO usage of brake from E city to Mysore road, in 40% of tank capacity I have covered 400KMs

2. Safety: Many times I have realized that, when you are speaking with the passengers or when you are just concentrating on the road, we lose track of how fast we are going. On Expressways, going at 120KMPH can seem like 80. Cruise ensures the perfect speed all times.

3. Avoiding fines: With many of the roads now being equipped with smart/AI based traffic cameras, it's never a good idea to be over the speed limit. Many of my contacts have been hit by huge fines on Bangalore Mysore expressway.

4. Comfort: driving is jerk free, smooth and comfortable, which the passengers of the car will love. For me getting a good drive approval from Wifey after any drive is the ultimate prize and certificate. She absolutely hates jerks/speeding and racing/tiffs with any other vehicle on road. Cruise mode definitely helps me in that.

Disadvantages of Cruise mode:

1. Takes time to get used to: Cruise in India takes time to get used to, the feeling of deceleration when there is an upward climb, is replaced with accelerating feeling. Controlling with buttons instead of pedals is discomforting at the start.

2. Delay in getting out of Cruise: sometimes, the need to continue in cruise mode instead of taking proactive action leads to sudden braking, (Adaptive CC takes care of this, but I have not used it).

3. Bullies on the road: Driving at set speed means, driving slower. Bullies and rash drivers will overtake from any side, and sometimes it can get dangerous (Routinely face this from the shoulder riders on NICE).Driving a burly SUV does help out though!

4. Distraction?: Without active control, there is some possibility of distraction, but. But I have not faced this.

Tips to improve usage of Cruise control

1. Know the bottlenecks: Knowing intersections, routes helps us in anticipating and probably reducing the set speed to prevent braking or unsafe conditions. This also will help you plan which stretches are best for uninterrupted Cruise mode.

2. Predict traffic / advance lane switching: When on highways, it helps if we proactively switch lanes so that we dont move into lanes of faster vehicles. Hence preventing any last moment deactivation of cruise.

3. Perfect speed setpoint for the roads: The speed selection should be such that it should be more than the slow moving commercial vehicles, but less than the faster moving PVs. Example: On NICE, the empty trucks move between 70-80KMPH,so a setpoint of 81-83 will help you quickly and predictably overtake the trucks. On NH I prefer a set speed of 100-105 so that I am slower than most cars, but faster than all CVs. In Cities, I prefer to use a set speed of 50.

So, dear BHPians, I would love to know what is your experience with Cruise control and what is the longest you have used it.

Cheers!

Raghuwire

Last edited by Raghuwire : 6th August 2024 at 13:22.
Raghuwire is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 19:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: What is the longest that you have used Cruise Control in India?

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Old 6th August 2024, 20:02   #3

Delhi to Sawai Madhopur via the expressway. Used for about 3.5 hours at a stretch. Set the speed to 118 and the speed guns always showed 120 as my speed in my Scorpio N 4x4
sunilonwheels is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 09:33   #4
BHPian

Adding to it:
1. Cruise control removes the fun out of driving and the throttle or turbo kick that the engine shows get to overtake on the next lane.
2. Scary with Indian highways with pedestrians, dogs or animals trying to sneak in all of a sudden, requiring your foot on the pedal anyways.

Sedate driving with cruise is fine in parts, I usually use it in the straight stretch between Vellore and Ambur NH where it's not that busy.
warp_10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 09:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
In 2016 when i was in the US for few months, I got to drive the New Nissan Ultima and the super sexy Mazda 3.
It's the Nissan Altima, Sir.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th August 2024 at 17:13. Reason: Quote tag fixed
ALTIMAed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 09:39   #6
BHPian

The longest I have used is ~400 kms on the Samruddhi E Way (not including the breaks @200 kms we took).

Speed set was ~105 kmph, and had absolutely no deactivation in between. I was placed in the second lane which allowed faster cars to fly without breaking my rhythm. Any slower car was either flashed to give way or I moved to the right lane.

In case I deactivated, I usually resumed it after the obstacle/overtake. Even to overtake, I used the +/- buttons to adjust speed.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 09:40   #7

I have tried it multiple times in Skoda Kushaq. The longest ones are as follows:
  • Ambala to Kotputli on Trans Haryana Expressway (cruise at 99 km/h)
  • Khalilpur to Gurgaon on Delhi Mumbai Expressway (cruise at 119 km/h)
  • Greater Noida to Chitrakoot on Yamuna Expressway, Agra Lucknow Expressway and Bundelkhand Expressway (cruise at 99 km/h)

Trip summary for my Chandigarh to Chitrakoot drive:

What is the longest that you have used Cruise Control in India?-whatsapp-image-20240807-9.38.38-am.jpeg
scala26 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 09:44   #8
BHPian

I definitely try and use cruise control wherever possible while on long drives. I'd think the longest stretch I've had it enabled was on the Bengaluru - Mysuru expressway. This was before the authorities decided to enforce fines for excessive speeding... Set the speed to 115 (to avoid the constant beep at 120) and enjoyed the ride.
arnieshwartz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 09:48   #9
Team-BHP Support

On an early morning drive from Delhi to Agra a few years ago, on the new expressway. We used cruise control all the way, except when stopping at the toll points.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 09:52   #10

Longest I used was on Mubai expressway (under construction), only partially opened while going to Mount Abu from Gurgaon. I was for about 1 hour at a speed of 118 kmph.
Old 7th August 2024, 09:54   #11
BHPian

I use cruise control intermittently. I'm surprised how the one manages to use it in India for long stretches. I can hardly recollect when I could use it for say more than 5 kms. I set CC at about 100 or 110 kmph max.

I used to think that I will use it more often to reduce driving fatigue. But then I have started using it lesser and lesser. I manage to extract better FE without CC in my CVT car. And, at times CC is very scary. The way it keeps accelerating on inclines doesn't give me confidence when most others are slowing down. I feel more in control with the throttle in my control.
Old 7th August 2024, 10:01   #12
BHPian

As someone who travels from Hyderabad to Vijayawada on a weekly basis, cruise is something I use very often. In cars without ADAS, the maximum I have used is is like 1.30 hrs- mostly on the ORR.
In my current car with ADAS, I do not disable cruise for almost the entire journey of 5 hours.
blogslogger is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 10:07   #13
BHPian

Very useful thread for me as I have been contemplating between two models with one having cruise control and the other not having, and how much actually it is practically useful considering the traffic in our country.

Request members who have this feature in their cars share the usefulness of this feature and their experiences.

Request our moderators to add a poll too for this thread please.

Last edited by microscopic : 7th August 2024 at 10:13. Reason: Added a request
microscopic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 10:10   #14
BHPian

Only on Hyderabad Outer Ring Road and everytime I use this road. You can switch it on as soon as you are on the expressway and only switch it off once you are on the exit ramp. Except ORR, there is no opportunity to use cruise control in Telangana. I can easily live without Cruise Control in India.
Comrade is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 10:17   #15

Re: What is the longest you have used Cruise Control in India

We have used the cruise control at 100 kmph for Delhi to Lucknow last December (except at toll booths), the longest continuous use would not exceed 1 hour due to encounters with Indian highway flora and fauna (including humans). We have also used cruise control during our Mumbai to Bhopal drives during COVID.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks