Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2024, 18:38   #46
GwD
BHPian

Re: What is the longest that you have used Cruise Control in India?

I drove on cruise control for around 100 km on the Samruddhi Expressway. But I realized that it reduces the driving pleasure quotient. I will prefer to go on cruise control only for short empty stretches and not on long highway drives. Driving is more about being connected with the vehicle and staying involved.
Old 9th August 2024, 20:41   #47
BHPian

For 30 seconds in 3 years. I wonder who can use cruise control on Kerala roads if one is driving mostly during daylight.
sreerknair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 21:03   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2K_scorpioN View Post
My observations regarding fuel efficiency wrt transmissions:

1. CVT - mileage is lower with cruise on
2. Hybrid - vehicle mileage is lower on cruise
3. TC - mileage is much better with cruise
4. DCT/DSG - noticeable improvement in milage with cruise
5. Manual - highly specific to driving style

These are my personal experiences, I'd love to hear from the rest of you.
I have somewhat similar views on Hyrid and CVT. Invicto has Hybrid and e-CVT, which gave poor mileage (16 kmpl) on Agra-Lucknow Expressway, when I set cruise control at 110-119. Without Cruise, i have got mileage of 19-20 on similar highways and speed.
Old 11th August 2024, 22:39   #49
BHPian

I once had an accident that on introspection realised that I could have possibly avoided if I had not been on cruise control. Reason being if CC was off, you would either be accelerating or decelerating, making you stay in better control of the car as opposed to driving with cruise control where the car continues to accelerate and stay on set speed.

I felt my reaction time to avoid the accident was not "sufficient" since the car was moving on its own.

Otherwise I try to switch on CC whenever possible and I do enjoy the feature. I think I will see the usage go even more up with more and more expressways opening up.
Old 11th August 2024, 22:54   #50
BHPian

Not sure how to interpret the question but I’m assuming by longest it means what % of an overall single trip time?

I KA01-KL01 round trips and I have used quite a but on this stretch, 40% at least on this stretch which would mean about 3-4 hrs of overall cruising in a single trip. Distance wise this would be well over 300km on a single trip.

If it means only continuous use, its probably not more than 5-10 minutes. There is something or the other that will like come needing us to slow down. But in my honest opinion this really isn’t the way to look at using cruise control. The advantage cruise control gives is the ability to relax your foot on long empty stretches, so even those 5 mins really help. Even if you have to break the cruise you can always press “Res” or Resume to get back to the preset cruise speed. So it is just a tap of your left leg, manage the situation and resume cruise.

But I have found cruise control to consumer more fuel, roughly 2 kmpl more. So these days I’m only using them when I know my drive is going to be really long, so I take advantage of cruising to just relax my legs. If the overall drive itself isn’t more that 4-5hrs, I don’t bother using them.

Still, it is a feature that I consider must need for me.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 11th August 2024 at 22:55.
Old 12th August 2024, 00:35   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

From Cruise Control in India - Useful or Useless? to this thread, we've certainly come a long way. I've been using cruise control since 2009, and even in the city, locking the speed with CC, and allowing the car to automatically accelerate by punching the Resume button once slowing down is required, is a lot less stressful than keeping an eye on the speedometer to avoid a speeding fine.

Never checked how long I've used it continuously without disengaging - I do tend to light up my brake lamps intentionally (Communication while driving | "Talk" to other road users | Why? And how to do it?) as required, which obviously disengages CC. It isn't about how long one can use CC continuously, but safely.
Old 12th August 2024, 01:22   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
For 30 seconds in 3 years. I wonder who can use cruise control on Kerala roads if one is driving mostly during daylight.
The only time I've actually driven relaxed in Kerala was a Trivandrum Kochi trip where I reached Kollam in peak traffic, got fed up and decided to amble around the rest of the way by not exceeding 50 kmph (this is the closest to cruise control in the southern part).

You can use it between Thrissur and Walayar in stretches. I use it there mostly so that I don't get a speeding ticket.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks