Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2024, 11:00   #16
BHPian

re: Vehicle categories exempted from paying toll

Off topic but i think there is much larger requirement of changing rules to make Road tax equal all across the country and letting people work and drive across the country without the limitation of 1 year wherein they are required to re-register.

If re-registration is important it should be the liability of RTO of the new state to ensure the customer only pays the difference in tax (assuming states don't agree on a uniform Pan India rate)

There have been multiple forums like "drive without borders" but the success has still been evasive.
Old 15th July 2024, 11:02   #17
BHPian

Once I was exempted from paying the toll on Mumbai-Pune Expressway as an eminent leader (from MNS) was appraching the toll booth. The political leader is known to have been taking a hard stand on toll collection, so the party supporters were already present at the toll booth to ensure their leader and his convoy of vehicles do not have to pay toll. As I apprached the toll booth, they waved me to zoom past and not stop as their leader would be there soon.

Not just the toll collection, but the indiscipline at toll collection, the crowd and wait times, the quality of roads, it just feels that we taxpayers are just doing a charity/donation.

News articles say...
1. one cannot wait for more than 10 seconds to pass through the toll plaza
2. if there is a long queue at the toll plaza and your vehicle is parked 100 meters or more from the toll plaza, you do not have to pay the toll

Once I stopped to confront about this, 5-6 bouncers surrounded my vehicle and intimidated to pay up and leave as "I was creating the traffic jam". Moreover, the Fastag deducts the amount auto-magically so there is no way to not pay at the toll booth.
streetfighter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 11:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
these government employees getting free access
Dear Sir,

The government employees arent exempted unless they are on official duty, in official vehicle.

Even if a govt employee goes on official duty in his personal vehicle, he/she pays toll tax, out of his/her pocket. And the government travel allowance rules have no provision of reimbursement of same on official duty. So, it is expended from personal expenses even for office work.

So, yes, this exemption list gives same kind of heart burn like you experience.
Old 15th July 2024, 11:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
I think politicians are exempted because of their safety & safety of people waiting ahead or behind them at the toll booth. They are given fast exit to avoid any mishap at the toll, while they are waiting at toll gate.
I can agree with this for high level officials like the PM but the local tin-pot MLA? No, they can wait in line just fine.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 12:19   #20
BHPian

It would be good even if they get re-imbursed or pay from a account with tax money. They need to wait and experience the same lines, traffic that common people suffer everyday.
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 12:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
It would be good even if they get re-imbursed or pay from a account with tax money. They need to wait and experience the same lines, traffic that common people suffer everyday.
All public services, roads, railways, airlines, footpath, etc should be used by our elected representatives. Only then, they'd understand the pain and try to improve on the services. Sad that our politicians are far off from the common people's issues.
streetfighter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 17:36   #22
BHPian

You can hear honest answer from the Highway man.

In my view, the overall system of fund collections, not just tolls, should be faceless. Neither the fund submitter nor fund collector should know any person on other side. Funds should always be automatically collected from all types. Those who are eligible should get refund automatically after automated checks leaving trace of all actions for audit.

For this toll collection, I belive people will not feel bad once GPS based toll collection starts. No one will know if others are being charged and Netas will not be able to flaunt their 'toll free' elite status.
Capricorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 18:15   #23
BHPian

Throwback to 2018 when judges decided that judges also needn't pay toll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
"Judges should be given free toll pass" - Judges!

Jokes apart, tell me the name of one judge in the country who has to pass an NHAI toll on the way to work!! If there was any credible reason behind the "Judge"ment, I wouldn't have bothered posting here!

The judiciary was the only system which was not supposed to be taking the public for granted, but that notion too looks like it has gone down the drain!
Old 15th July 2024, 20:12   #24
BHPian

Re: Vehicle categories exempted from paying toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
I felt a little agitated on seeing all these government employees getting free access, but then I realized that even if they pay, they will be paying from our tax money only as far as they can say that they are on government duty, so its a moot point
It is still fine if they pay via fatsag, and reimburse it with tax money. Atleast I don't have to wait in line to pay money when the idiot shows his/her proof and argues!
Old 15th July 2024, 21:39   #25

This isn't easy to accept, but I shall because we have in our country, many rulers and few leaders. Imagine, if there is a PIL on this topic and now stretch your imagination some more that the judgement is out to treat all citizens alike regardless of class/creed/car. then, the parliament in the most bipartisan demonstration will pass the bill to include Rs.1Lakh a month toll allowance to their salaries. Now, look back at that big signboard and it doesn't look so bad.
Old 15th July 2024, 22:04   #26

Quote:
categories of people exempted from paying toll
This is the listed categories of persons whose vehicles are exempted from toll.

There are many other unlisted categories (this varies from place to place) -
- Local people
- Vehicles with Press sticker or individuals claiming to represent them
- Other politicians not holding any elected office
- Other individuals claiming to represent any authoritative body

As long as we are getting all weather good roads to drive, we can ignore these minor irritants.

“Choose your battles wisely. After all, life isn't measured by how many times you stood up to fight. It's not winning battles that makes you happy, but it's how many times you turned away and chose to look into a better direction. Life is too short to spend it on warring. Fight only the most, most, most important ones, let the rest go.”
― C. JoyBell C.
Old 15th July 2024, 22:08   #27
BHPian

I have time and time again noticed that us BHP'ians, gets agitated when govt employees gets some freebies. Whats the big deal if toll is waived off for govt employees.

Given the number of threads that exist on this forum about complains about privileges extended to govt employees, is concerning.

Govt employees have to travel for work between cities, so they are exempt of paying toll. That's all, isn't it ? Otherwise the alternative would be to claim those expenses from the office aka the govt.

Doesn't this just save the paperwork and some additional cost.

We as private individuals (assuming majority of us are), when we have to travel abroad for company work, flight tickets are paid by the employer and all expenses are reimbursed. Isn't it ? Would you take that foreign trip if you were made to pay for those expenses yourself ?

Similarly govt employees who do travel from one place to the other to do their employers work, are being reimbursed to do so directly. The employer here is the govt and the company is our country.

So I don't think any govt employee is being given any special privilege here. Its just easier paper work.
frewper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 23:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePull View Post
I wish all these exempt categories get a special zero fastag and pass like other vehicles. I'm sick of people stopping, flashing ID cards and take longer to pass. This allows more people to try different tricks to pass, even if they are not qualified. Except Ambulance, everyone should get a fastag and there should be no option to open gate for any other reasons.
Actually, such a Fastag exists. Here are the links https://morth.nic.in/exempted-fastag

https://exemptedfastag.nhai.org/Exemptedfastag/

But it isn't mandatory yet for the Exempted categories to get these.
Attached Thumbnails
Vehicle categories exempted from paying toll-screenshot_20240715_233902_drive.jpg  

Vehicle categories exempted from paying toll-screenshot_20240715_233824_drive.jpg  

Vehicle categories exempted from paying toll-screenshot_20240715_233843_drive.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Car : 15th July 2024 at 23:46.
Dr.Car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 06:21   #29
BHPian

I don't know what the rage is all about. If the government has exempted a list of people from giving toll tax, then so be it. Just pay your toll tax and move on. And what's up with the " you getting delayed behind someone showing his ID card" part? How much is the delay? Not more than 1 minute at the max. If such a delay is causing you to lose your cool, are you sure you're fit to drive in a high stress environment like India? Are you the same guys who start honking the moment the light turns green?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks