Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2024, 12:28   #1
BHPian

My Grievance on NE4 to PMO gets addressed

I have been a regular user of NE4 (Delhi Vadodra/Mumbai) Expressway and shuttle almost every month between Noida and Jaipur. I have seen its evolution in the past two years from a desolated empty stretch of road to a bustling and busy highway with a marked increase in heavy vehicle traffic. With time, changes both good and bad have started making their presence felt.

On the good side, there is marked increase in the facilities and good eating joints and you really get the experience of a US highway with starbucks and drive through Macdonald outlets along with huge petrol pumps with at least 15 dispensers. World class washroom facilities managed by BVG group are a pleasing sight. Today, you do not have to think twice before taking the road. This is in marked contrast to two years back when there was nothing and the washrooms were two room shacks with 3 urinals and 2 seats. More buses have started plying and in general you do not feel alone.

On the bad side, the increase in heavy traffic has led to the usual side effects of trucks hogging the right lanes, oversized trucks with animal fodder packed to the brim driving at slow speeds in the right lanes, trucks occupying three rows sometimes while they jostle with each other during overtaking. Also, lot of illegal dhabas have sprouted near the expressway and you can see queues of 8-10 trucks parked on the expressway while they have their refreshments. There are dedicated stops, the size of 5 football stadiums but the truckers out of their habit stop at these illegal ones. Today these situations are in pockets and manageable. My worry is that if the situation is not addressed, it many become larger and more difficult to manage in future. Once the trucks are used to a specific illegal dhaba and there is money in circulation, many things can be greased.

I complained to NHAI twice on their helpline number but nothing happened. The bureaucratic response is we have asked authorities to do this and that. So, I thought to escalate and write grievance to PMO. I was amazed that it got addressed within 3 days including the response from NHAI and their consultants. Although the response is quite bland and tasteless and shows not commitment to action with timelines, at least some effort has been made and something has got into the system. Maybe later my grievance is lucky to picked up during audit and then taken further for deeper scrutiny.

My experience with NHAI and then further escalation is that road safety is a policy and governance issue. We still lack the framework and policy and procedure to implement preventive measures with the right intent and commitment. My sincere wish is to have one hour session with Mr. Gadkari to discuss things in detail so that in next 5 years, we eliminate preventable accidents.

My only fear is that if steps are not taken while things are manageable, NE4 may become just like old Delhi Jaipur highway where you have all sorts of hazards, risks and issues which are completely not in line even with NHAI manuals, procedures and rules. And if that happens, accidents are inevitable and respected members will start discussion threads lamenting and whining about state of affairs.

So, if you find things not in order, it is good to discuss on forums but better to raise your complaint. If there is sufficient push, who knows things will move. If there are 20 complaints on road quality, someone has to notice.

Here is the response to my grievance letter:
My Grievance on NE4 to PMO gets addressed-1658-pg-mr.-ashish-tiwarireg.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th July 2024 at 09:44. Reason: Changing PDF to image, as more people will see it this way :)
autobahnjpr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 17:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Grievance on NE4 to PMO gets addressed

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12th July 2024, 10:51   #3
BHPian

Re: My Grievance on NE4 to PMO gets addressed

I thought with access controlled highways (expressays), the menace of heavy vehicles hogging fast lanes (right lanes) will go away. These heavy vehicles do this on non-access controlled highways because its tough for them to decelerate, change lane, accelerate and return to lane quickly when they face slow moving traffic like tractors, auto-rickshaws and two wheelers.

Atleast on Hyderabad ORR, I don’t see truckers ever using right two lanes. There is clear markings everywhere to use left two lanes for trucks. The speed limit is also less (80 kmph) for left two lanes compared to 120 kmph on right two lanes. I think proper signage will easily solve this issue.

Regarding stopping on the expressway, only heavy fines will deter the truckers. Else, they will stop wherever the food is economical and gives them that rustic & authentic vibes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks